KTWM, any chance for a .22 cal. P3AT?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by manonfire1007, Aug 10, 2008.

1. manonfire1007

manonfire1007 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    I've been away from Ktog for some time, but kel-tec just keeps bringing me back. No other company rides the edge of what is possible or responds to customers like they do.

In  this time of outlandish ammo prices, kel-tec has stepped up by offering the plr16 and su16 in .22 caliber, presumably so that shooting more often is affordable. This is fantastic!

By extension, Kel-tec's most popular gun is the p3at. 380 ammo prices are ridiculous. hows for a .22 version of the p3at, which would serve both the p32 and p3at crowds well. Heck, even the ultra-sensitive to recoil might use it as a stand-alone carry piece. Who wouldn't like to get more practice with thier carry gun (or .22 version thereof)? The adage has been put out there that the p3at is a gun to be carried a lot and shot a little. If I'm carrying it, I want to be as good with it as possible. I'm for lots of shooting.

So, any chance for a .22 version of the p3at? :D

2. shep854

shep854 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    aaroncstevens, I asked the same question not too long ago.

Sorry to say, the answer was a definite "No, no way." The explanation was that there's not enough of a market for another small .22 auto. The K-T fanboys would probably be all over it, but there aren't enough of us to make it profitable. Alas, George and the gang at Kel-Tec do want to make a buck here and there.

3. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    maybe if the plr and the su's take off, they may have a change of heart...gpr

4. manonfire1007

manonfire1007 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    Rats. I certainly respect that. gotta turna buck, or no more kel-tecs. :'(
    I just figured that with the p3at being the best seller, the .22 version would do well.
    But, that's why I do what I do for a living, and making firearms product decisions is their department. I'm good for 500$ for a 22 version if they change their minds. ;)

5. MarkTX

MarkTX New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    League City TX
    As .380 is about as small as one would want to carry for self defense, Why would Kel Tec want to produce a 22. I personally don't think it would sell so a $500 price tag would probably be about right.

6. shep854

shep854 Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Birmingham, AL
    While not a SD gun (except in extremis), something along the lines of a PF22 would be an ideal "understudy" for a centerfire pocket pistol, allowing much more economical practice. As it is, the closest thing I have is a Smith & Wesson Model 34 revolver. The double-action trigger approximates the pull of my ratguns. I also have a Browning BuckMark, but the single-action trigger does not really correspond to the DAO triggers of the carry pistols.

Other options would be a .22LR snubby with 8-to-10 round cylinders, or a Taurus PT22 which is DAO. There are a number of other small .22 autos available, but they are DA/SA designs. These include the Walther P22 and SIG Mosquito.

7. vwspdshp

vwspdshp New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    I love 22's, and would buy a P22 in a heartbeat. I'm saving towards an SU22 right now. I love having 22 versions of my defense guns for cheap practice. Or even better, 22 conversions.

8. manonfire1007

manonfire1007 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    As ammo prices rise, I may be forced to only purchase guns for which an understudy replica in .22 or a conversion is available. Fairly restricting, isn't it?

9. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I just happen to like .22s. Would love to be the owner of a Walther TPH or Budischowsky/Norton TP-70. Perhaps it would be better if Kel-Tec would just work with an aftermarket supplier of conversion kits rather than produce in-house. Maybe they could/are work(ing) with our Two Pistol Packer on his .22 Lr P-3AT conversion.

10. NCERRN

NCERRN New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I love the idea! I would rep you if this forum had that option. A gun with the same outside dimensions as the P3AT but in 22LR would be awesome and very popular. It would be good for economical fun, plinking, and P3AT/other handgun training as well due to the low cost of the 22 LR round. Loaded with good high-velocity HP ammo like CCI Stinger which expands well to 0.30-0.36" and penetrates deep enough, it could also be a defensive handgun option for those who are recoil shy/sensitive.

I know I'd one buy one or three of them.

11. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    It would be great for economical trigger time but pretty lousy for SD.  

Currently, KT sells all the P-32s and P-3ATs they can make.  To make a .22 version, they would have to stop what they are doing with those.  Since few but enthusiasts will pay the same amount for a .22 as a .380, they will have to lower the MSRP.  Don't believe me?  OK, go look at the MSRP on a PLR-22 compared to the PLR-16.  So what everyone here seems to want is for KT to make a gun they will lose money to produce.  They are keenly aware of the economics.  

Perhaps the conversions are a more realistic goal?  Sorry folks, I would love to have a P-22 too, especially with the cost of ammo going up.  If that keeps up, it may become an option, but not for now.

12. Zectron2348

Zectron2348 New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Don't underestimate the power of the little .22 LR in a crunch. I am not promoting the .22 LR as an acceptable defensive load, but I have absolute proof that if it's all you got, and you place em where they need to go, it can get the job done.

About 5 years ago my cousin was jumped in a parking lot here in Phoenix. He was picking up a gallon of milk, his wife waiting in the car. Three thugs decided they wanted his car keys, wallet, and wife ..... unfortunately for them he had a little Beretta .22 LR auto in his pocket.

Cousin had milk in hand walking back to car.

BG #1 stepped right in cousins path from behind a pickup, almost right in his face. He had a 4" knife in one hand, and demanded keys and wallet.

Cousin said he wanted no trouble (at same time easing his hand into his pocket and gripping the gun). At that point BG #1 sucker punched my cousin right in the face, and at that same instant BG #2,( had snuck up behind,) smashed a beer bottle across my cousins head.

My cousin went down, but as he was dropping put two rounds into BG#1, and oh did those little high speed .22s do a job. Cousin rose to his knees. Eyes trying to focus, he could see the first guy lying on the ground in front of him, then he saw someone running away and drew down on them. Fortunately, a voice in his head was yelling, "DONT SHOOT EM IN THE BACK!" and he lowered the gun, the incident over. Other two were arrested minutes later, and BG#1 dead at the scene. One round went through the center of his throat, not a whole lot of damage there, but the other hit em directly center chest shattering his sternum and blasting his heart with bone shards.

Now, he may have got lucky and I certainly never suggest to anyone .22 is a good defensive load, but if it's all you can afford or happen to have it's better than nothing and could save your life. It certainly did his wife's as all three were  hard core fellons with multiple convictions for rape, robbery, and attempted murder.

What does he carry today?  Winter:  Glock .45     Summer:  KT P3AT  .380

I would like to see a .22 just for the fact that I could afford to shoot it.

13. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    The .22 isn't worthless, just not nearly as good a choice as .32 or .380 in the same size pistol. The allure of a P-22 would be inexpensive practice (cross-training for your P-3x), not self-defense.

14. vwspdshp

vwspdshp New Member

Jul 19, 2008
    It was sickening to put my 22 conversion on my Kimber custom the first time. Felt horrible... til I put 1000 rounds thru it for $20.

I also always have an "armagedon stock" of 22 ammo just in case. It's the only affordable way (with the exception of shotgun shells) to be FULLY prepared for crisis. Hopefully someone will start producing a 22 kel tec conversion now that prices are climbing so much. Even my 22 ammo went up a few bucks within the last few months!

15. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I don't think you are going to get a simple conversion for the locked breech P3s. A 22 would have to be a straight blow-back gun - a different design.

16. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Simple....
    the barrel lug would just be a hole the size of the pin, thus making the barrel "fixed". then the upper barrel block would not have the step that mates with the slide, so the slide could recoil without the barrel tilting. So far we need a conversion barrel

first problem, how to make the firing pin strike the RIM. offsetting the bore might work so the original slide could be used

next problem, how to extract....pray blow back will work

getting the spring slide mass combonation...pray the inner spring would do it.

biggest problem, how to feed....even If single shot is adaquate

17. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Like I said - different design.  Also, the slide weight is not calculated to work with that design.  Maybe different recoil springs could compensate, I don't know.  And don't forget designing and producing a mag that would fit the grip and feed 22LR.  Then a whole 'nother issue is, besides some P3 owners, how many would want a small DAO 22 pistol?    :-/

18. Cremator

Cremator New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    A .22 in the pocket is better than a .45 at home.

19. manonfire1007

manonfire1007 New Member

Mar 25, 2005
    The taurus and the beretta versions (pop up barrel) sure seem to sell well. Besides the NAA revolver/deringer types, a p3at sized .22 would be the smallest (and certainly slimmest) semi-auto .22 produced that I am aware of. Feel free to correct that if someone knows of one. In mainstream mass production, quite small .22 semi autos are tough to find. Given Kel-tec's wonder designs, a .22 in the same size should be easier to engineer that most of what they have come up with.