ktog site

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by andrewjs18, Jun 5, 2010.

1. andrewjs18

andrewjs18 New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    are users allowed to redesign/rebuild the ktog site?  I'd like to donate my time and redo the main site with a friend of mine...who do I speak to or can I just go to work?

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    No, this is not a wiki site or something. It is privately owned and operated. Thanks!

3. andrewjs18

andrewjs18 New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    fair enough..figured I'd offer some help..both the site and forum need a lot of work.

4. markmc99

markmc99 New Member

Jun 3, 2010
    I like it and appreciate the admins and all the work they put in here. Andrews...... dude, manners. That's like you walking into someone else's house and telling em it sucks and needs new paint!

5. andrewjs18

andrewjs18 New Member

Dec 6, 2009
    all I did was offer my services for free..to help the site out...no big deal

the forum admin said this:
    "Are you volunteering to take care of importing all of the members, forums, and posts to
    a new system?"

from post #9 here:
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1262947786

I basically said yes in that thread and in a PM to him/her. I have experience transferring forums to different forum software as I've done it before.

6. concrete_guy

concrete_guy New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    Not to be ****ing any of the administrators off, but this sight could use some work. The search function seems to be one of its weak points. I gave up the other day on using the search function and started going through all the pages. After about the sixth page you couldn't see the page number listed at the bottom which was also a little frustrating.

7. A better search option is Google.

http://www.google.com/advanced_search?q=site:ktog.org

As far as the rest of the site- It is not broken, and the smart money says and it will not get "fixed" any time soon.

I like my forum like I like my handguns, not to may bells and whistles for me.

8. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    First off let me say I am not mad at anyone who wants to "improve" this site.  I understand the desire to make it a better place for all.  The site admin, owner, operator, and maintainer of this site is a private owner who does it as a non-profit, out of pocket indulgence for us on a company server at his business location.  He can update, add, remove, or even shutdown this site as he deems appropriate.  I personally am thankful he provides us the server space to play and exchange information in here.  I am not about to tell him how outdated, archaic, unimpressive or otherwise the site is, specifically because I am here for the exchange of information and ideas.  I will learn how to use the search function as it is and if I can't find what I'm looking for I will ask.  You'd be amazed at how many times a month the exact same information is asked for and freely given by the members in here.  I do not need bells and whistles to get the basic information I need here.

Andrew, I'm sure your heart is in the right place, but you're approach is a little offensive.  The offer to donate your time is honorable, but I am not going to walk in your house and tell you the wallpaper sucks.  If we simply allowed anyone who didn't like the layout to start changing things, we'd probably end up with a new version every other day.  One of the great things about our country and the free market is that you are welcome to build your own newer, better version somewhere else.  There is no limit to what a dreamer can do.  I hope you'll decide to stay here and make due with what little we do have available in amenities, but if not I wish you the best of luck on your future efforts to make it better elsewhere.

Honestly.   ;)

And for some of you newer folks, the moderators of each weapon forum have made an effort over the past couple years to put a stickied FAQ thread in each gun forum as information is added.  Often a few minutes spent in those can answer most new members questions.

9. concrete_guy

concrete_guy New Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I appreciate the link. I know this is not a bells and whistles site and I am glad that it is available. I look to use the search engine as to not ask repetitive questions and to solve my own problems as much as possible by myself. I know the typed word will never come across with the authors best intentions.

Respectfully.

10. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The search feature here actually works pretty well.  The problem you experienced is a factor of the cheesy, POS, proprietary, AOL browser you are using.  It does not work very well here or at a lot of other places, for that matter.  Try Firefox, Google Chrome or even Internet Explorer for a much better KTOG surfing experience.  ;)

As for the yabb forum, it is not the flashiest.  That doesn't bother me in the least.  The value of this site is in the people, their relationships, and the information they share. The forums here serve that purpose quite well, thank you.

11. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    +1 to the site moderators and administrators. They give their time to watch this excellent site and help all of us have a good experience here.
    I'm sure andrew has good intentions but rather immature in his thinking. Maybe you don't like the Bible, but good advice there in one place....Lk 14:11.."everyone who exalts himself will be humbled"..NIV.
    Although I enjoy doing my wetpack tests I'd never say that is the only way and certainly not better than others who do better work than I.
    Cheers,
    og

12. concrete_guy

concrete_guy New Member

Jul 27, 2009

Hmmmmm.......... I haven't used an AOL browser in years.

13. Baird

Baird New Member

Jun 14, 2010
    Hi Guys I read all the posts and site .\i feel its a suitable site for all of us to safe us.Its a spaming site.Its good job done by owners.Thanks to cooperate.Thanks

14. marv

marv New Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Andrew, I'll give you credit for feeling helpful and generous but I gotta say it: You are the rudest and most tactless person I have ever encountered on the net.

15. GoldenLoki

GoldenLoki New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Forum is great! Admin/Mods included.
    With the exception I wish we could update the banner ads. (with mine!)

I have to agree that the KTOG.org website itself is in desperate need of updating.
    I mean the content, not the style and flash... please, no Flash!

If/when it is updated I'd like to see someone in charge of it who has been around the KTOG community for a long time.

GL

16. +10-

No flash, no bangs, no bells, no whistles, no upgrades.

17. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It's been a while.  I'll try Ray again.  ;)

Yea, the content on the main page (not the forum) is quite old.  However, it is something of a repository for old stuff.  Some of it is no longer applicable to current production guns like the P11 but much it is still true and useful.  Of course the P40 stuff is accurate since they haven't changed.  However, all current information regarding all KT products is here on the forum in the stickies, so I'm not sure the content really needs updating.  I'd be content if we just updated to the latest yabb version.  This older version works relatively well but the latest one has more features and capabilities.

I agree that bells and whistles are not what is needed. This community is all about the information and the people who share it. :cool:

18. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    3wbdriver's reply was pretty comprehensive, so I'll refer to it and give my thoughts.

For those who don't know me, I believe 3wbdriver is referring to me, Ray.  I take care of the
    technical end and am entrusted with some control of the KTOG.org name. Yes, that gives me
    the ability to have the final say, but I'd be loathe to accept the titles "admin, owner, operator
    and maintainer".  The moderators do most of the admin work, I couldn't call myself the
    "maintainer" since as has been noted I haven't done much maintenance. In a few weeks I'm
    about to start a job where I'll be carrying again, so I'll probably start showing up on the
    forum more often.

As much as I appreciate the work of the moderators, I am willing to state the fact that the
    content, other than the forum, hasn't been updated in a long time.  I'm not going so far as
    to call it archaic and unimpressive, but the fact is it's not fresh.  All of the fresh stuff is in
    the forum.

Google does search well.  YABB search is good if you want to search within a specific section of
    the forum, a specific search term time frame, etc.  YABB search isn't good at searching all half million posts.
    Therefore, I have added a Google search bar at the top of the page so people have that option
    as wellas the ability to click "advanced search options" to get the YABB search page where they
    can set specific search options.

I'd like to know what other members think about this.  I, as just one member, wouldn't mind seeing
    some updates.  I'm not even an active member, though, so whatever the active members think.

EDIT -
    I just looked at how long the person offering to do updates has been a member and how many posts
    they have.  I should have looked at that before.  I imagine some long term members would want to be
    involved with or review any significant updates.

19. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Hi Ray,
    I am perfectly happy with KTOG like it is. I'm also not against changes, I just wouldn't know what to suggest as a good change. I'd go along with whatever the mods and you decide.

Just be careful with offers from very new members.

Thank you for the time you (and the mods) put into KTOG.

Rick

20. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    +10-

No flash, no bangs, no bells, no whistles, no upgrades.
    [/quote]

+1 on no Flash. In very limited cases, a little bit of Flash is OK, but I'd say 99% of all Flash on the
    web shouldn't be there.