KTOG back after being taken down by hackers

Discussion in 'Feedback and Announcements' started by Tech Admin, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    Hackers took down the whole server last weekend,
    gaining full administrative access to the system.
    No files on the server could be trusted after that,
    so I started over with a new installation of the operating
    system and restored everything from trusted backups.

2. TexasGeezer

TexasGeezer New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Were passwords compromised?

3. Stevil

Stevil New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    We're BACK! Wa-hoo! [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

4. jerry

jerry New Member

Sep 5, 2007
    SURE DID MISS THIS BOARD LAST WEEK. WELCOME BACK :D

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Ah good.  Well, at least I didn't miss any posts while in Colorado.  That's one way to stay caught up.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

Thanks to Ray and Ali. :cool:

6. scamp_daddy

scamp_daddy New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    THE WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS HAVE BEEN RELIEVED!!!! Doc say's I'll be ok now and I don't have to take the medicine any more. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D. :cool:  

7. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Thanks Ray and everyone.

8. dano

dano New Member

Sep 15, 2004
    Job well done.  What is it with the hackers and our beloved KTOG? :'( I think this is the third time since I've been hear this has happened.  One time I think the board had to start over from scratch. >:(

9. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Thanks Ray!

Hehehe, maybe we need to find out who these hackers are and pay them a visit! :D

10. dsquared

dsquared New Member

Thanks Ray. It was almost more than I could take when the site loaded this morning and a guy started talking about becoming a mystery shopper. I almost pi$$ed myself.

11. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    It's good to see KTOG up and running again. Thanks for all your hard work Ray!

Packer.

12. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif]

Wilson – who’s trying not to use up too much space on the new server

13. Tech Admin

Tech Admin New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    It doesn't appear to be likely that the bad guys got any passwords,
    though they could have if they wanted to. They just used the server
    to for their own purposes without doing too much looking around or
    anything.

14. Ohio_Rusty

Ohio_Rusty New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    Thanks for all your hard work getting the site back up. I know about headaches and cranky users as I work for a computer data center .... and nothing is worse than a server going down and they can't get their email !! The list and myself gives you "Attaboys" for a job well done. We all really appreciate it. Now I'd like to test my new P3AT on some hackers to see how my ammo does on their knee caps. ......
    Ohio Rusty
    Newest P3AT owner

15. gpr

gpr New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    north palm beach
    welcome back.....please forgive me, for i have sinned...i needed my kt fix, so i visited that other site...oh yes, i was not the only one...gpr

16. PackinPastor

PackinPastor Guest

Soooo glad KTOG is back!  I can quit holding my breath now.

17. charles1198

charles1198 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    I thought I was going crazy. :eek:

18. Thank you for coming back and keeping things going! I know it can getting tempting to just say .. OK... No more. We are very happy to have you up and running. Again, thank you.

19. Liberty4Ever

Liberty4Ever Moderator Supporter

May 19, 2006
    Lexington KY
    THANK YOU RAY!

I have some idea what a hassle it's been, and thanks just aren't enough. I received several emails from other KTOGgers who were feeling the same withdrawal symptoms I was. Please understand how much we all enjoy KTOG, as reflected by how much we miss it when it's gone.

As for the hacker responsible, to quote Vincent Vega... "I just wish I caught 'em doin' it, ya know? Oh man, I'd give anything to catch 'em doin' it. It'a been worth his doin' it, if I coulda just caught 'em, you know what I mean?"

Did I mention I went a little nuts buying gun stuff when I couldn't get my daily fix of KTOG? One of the new lovelies is a Parkerized 8 shot Mossberg 12 gauge Persuader with the pistol grip. That's the sort of thing I had in mind when I said I'd give anything to catch 'em doin' it.

[​IMG]

Lance from Pulp Fiction had the right idea. "They should be #$%&in' killed. No trial, no jury, straight to execution."

Could be worse. I tried registering online for the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association. The registration hung at the end. It felt wrong and I wondered if some hacker had my personal info, including my credit card. I even wondered aloud about it on the FCSA visitors forum. Sure enough, I check my online credit card statement and someone bought some $100 key logging software. I called the company and the person who bought it supplied my name, address, and credit card number, but didn't have the software shipped. They downloaded it. The software company reversed the charges on my credit card immediately, and I called my credit card company and they deactivated my card and are issuing a new one. That put a temporary halt to my rampant online gun related purchases.

The FCSA forum was also down for a week or two, although they seem to think it wasn't a hacker.

http://forum.fcsa.org/index.php?showtopic=323&st=0