Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

81 - 100 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
P90 is an SMG and it's 5.6 lbs - out of discussing category.
Neither P50 or PLR 16 would make an ideal PDW; however...
You're the one that bought up the Extar and the Plr16 saying they were better options than the P50. 🤷‍♂️
As far as my purposes, none of these three would be anything but fun toys, but variety is the spice of life.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Huh. The link takes me directly to the Instagram login page on desktop. Worked on mobile though, so I’m good.

·
Super Moderator
9,979 Posts
Echoing what MadRonin said... Stop teasing us. Let's see some live fire videos!

In defense of 50 rounds of 5.7X28, it's accurate as a laser beam and able to cut through a 24" log faster than the finest Stihl chainsaw.

(3 minute video)

Apologies to those who have seen me post this before, but I just love that video.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry... I tried to slog through all the posts. I don't care about the high cost of ammo. (I got plenty.) I don't care about the ps90 mags being hard to load in to the firearm. (It holds 50 rounds. How often do you plan to reload?) For me it boils down to this... Will it accept an arm brace? Otherwise, it is a $1,000 range toy. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sorry... I tried to slog through all the posts. I don't care about the high cost of ammo. (I got plenty.) I don't care about the ps90 mags being hard to load in to the firearm. (It holds 50 rounds. How often do you plan to reload?) For me it boils down to this... Will it accept an arm brace? Otherwise, it is a $1,000 range toy. Does anyone know?
Rear rail attachment is coming, apparently.

·
Super Moderator
9,979 Posts
Oleg gives us some live fire footage.

How cool is that? :D

The relatively high bore axis does result in some muzzle flip, but a muzzle compensator should fix that, and the P50 is obviously begging for a folding pistol brace.

I love the audacity of Kel-Tec to introduce this little guy in the current regulatory environment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
RDTCU... Thanks for the input. Arm brace attatchment apoint is coming does not leave me warm and fuzzy. Kel-tec does seem to listen to listen to it's customers... sub2000 gen 2 or KSG to KS7. However, I stand by my range toy comment. Range toys are fun and I do have some old ps90 mags along with 5.7 ammo. Now, I need a $1,000?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My pleasure.
Five pages of bashing 5.7, lol!

"03-04-2011
A neighboring agency uses semi-auto only P90s as their squad long guns, and they hate them and they hate that round. They needed something to go through soft armor, but the city council thought that M4s were too scary looking and that .223 rounds could blow up vehicles. They also didn't trust patrol officers with select-fire, hence the semi-auto only. Based on what they've told me about their dissatisfaction with the 5.7FN round, I would never take a chance at carrying one on duty."

I'd very much appreciate if you'd name at least one US non-SWAT LE entity that currently uses 5.7x28 round on daily bases.
LMAO, are you seriously trying to use a 10 year old topic that's only 5 pages long to argue that most departments have stopped using 5.7? The last #### I took I tried harder than you

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yep. The deadly results achieved at Ft. Hood still don't make the 5.7 a good SD choice, just like the Bella Twin or Sirhan Sirhan examples don't make the .22 a good SD choice.
"A pathologist, Lt. Col. Phillip Berran, told Hasan’s court-martial on Thursday that one soldier who tried to charge and stop Hasan was shot 12 times while another, Pfc Aaron Nemelka, 19, the youngest military victim of the attack, suffered intensely as his organs filled with blood.
It was “not an immediately fatal wound,” Berran said.
Berran is one of several expert witnesses who have testified this week about crime scene evidence and autopsy analyses of roughly 10 of the 13 victims who were sprayed with bullets, some shot while they were on the floor or elsewhere."
You link to a topic from 10 years ago. I'm willing to be at least a couple are retired now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sloppy argument. Read for comprehension.

None of which supports your claim that "Most departments have "de-rostered" the round due to it being ineffective for terminal stopping power."

No I won't. Because I never made any such claim, I see no particular reason to try to defend it.

Now, I'm asking you again to show documents from > 50% of the U.S. police departments which show that they have "'de-rostered' the round due to it being ineffective for terminal stopping power." That's your claim. And you haven't even shown one or two examples, never mind something which would be indicative of "most," you just referenced, in your own words, "5 pages of hate." So what? Maybe the round is terrible. Maybe it sucks more than the Milky Way's central black hole. But that doesn't track to your claim that "Most departments have "de-rostered" the round due to it being ineffective for terminal stopping power."

I hate sloppy thinking.
It's not just sloppy, he's linking you to 10 year old topics and trying to pass it off as now. The fact that he has to find 10 year old topics just to bash the 5.7 hurts his argument more than helps.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
RDTCU... Thanks for the input. Arm brace attatchment apoint is coming does not leave me warm and fuzzy. Kel-tec does seem to listen to listen to it's customers... sub2000 gen 2 or KSG to KS7. However, I stand by my range toy comment. Range toys are fun and I do have some old ps90 mags along with 5.7 ammo. Now, I need a $1,000?
Kel-Tec listens to their customers? LMAO ... you mean how they killed the P11 off instead of updating it, and a company like SCCY - which produces a total ripoff of the P11 - beat them to the punch and released the DVG-1, which is the striker-fired P11 with a trigger-that-doesn't-suck for which MANY of us have been wanting for a long, LONG time. Meanwhile, KT is cranking out such "highly desirable" gems as an ugly, bulky, awkward, freaky-looking hi-cap .22 LR like the CP-33 which virtually nobody wanted? Seriously, there's like 3 of these things that have been sitting in the case at my favorite LGS for literally MONTHS untouched while darn near anything and everything pew-pew has been flying out the door as fast as it comes in. KT has adopted a marketing model of "build weird new stuff and hope it CREATES a demand" rather than "look at what the market actually wants and make a better/more innovative version of that" for their designs. It's annoying and frustrating as all heck. Don't get me wrong, I will always love my little P32's and my hard-chromed P11, and I can respect things like the SUB2000, KSG, and KS7, because those are all things with practical applications and designs which people actually WANTED, and they all sell quite well ... but seriously, WTF was KT thinking by killing off the P11 entirely instead of updating/upgrading it to a striker-fired design with functional refinements when subcompact double-stack 9mm's like the Sig P365 and Springfield Hellcat are super hot sellers right now?

Sorry. I've argued this point a slew of times before, but it still chaps my hide. One of the reasons blind brand loyalty is silly: some gun companies will make incredibly dumb moves now and then, and the folks that act like everything they churn out is ingenious and engineering gold are just blind to reality. Is the P50 a good idea? Well ... sorta. As long as they come out with a carbine version and it's significantly cheaper than the FN P90 from which its magazines were taken, then yeah, totally a good idea. Y'know, just like the Ruger 57 is cool for being an FN Five-Seven that doesn't cost a freaking grand and actually has a manual safety that isn't in a stupid location (even though manual safeties on self-defense pistols are dumb, but on a range toy, I'll let it slide). But as far as being a pistol design ... bleh. Big, bulky, awkward, unnecessarily weird, and only existing because it's begging to be made into an SBR or at least to have a pistol brace attached to it immediately (unless the ATF bans them without tax stamps in the next few months, which is looking more likely than not). There is literally ZERO reason for KT to use a P90 magazine as the basis for their design if they weren't already planning on making a carbine version of this thing because it's every bit as cumbersome and awkward as a Calico pistol...

...compared to the Calico carbine...

Some designs just do not lend themselves well to a pistol format. Like the AR and AK platforms, those were designed originally as rifles/carbines until someone said, "Hey, if we cut the barrel down and eliminate the stock, we can pretend that it's a pistol!" when in reality it's just a carbine/rifle with crappier velocity/ballistics and a short sight radius.

So, again, good on KT for making a more affordable P90 alternative, since basically no one has produced one up until now (aside from a few weird AR-platform models chambered in 5.7) as far as the inevitable carbine model goes. But as far as the pistol ... bleh. That's like Ford coming out with a hybrid station wagon version of a new base-level Mustang first and trying to get all of those sales first before eventually releasing the hatchback/fastback GT model that people actually want. Put the less desirable crap up front first and squeeze out them sales as much as you can because once the REAL thing comes out that people want, that other stupid first model will be all but totally forgotten. It makes sense from a business model perspective ... SORTA ... because some tepid sales of a weird model PLUS a desirable model will total more than just the desirable model by itself ... but c'mon, folks. Weird, awkward pistol in weird caliber with weird existing magazine design as a basis. We know what's really going on here ... and what's inevitably coming... ;)

·
Super Moderator
9,979 Posts
I don't have a use for a P50, but I still want one. If I could buy ammo for it, it might be a gun that I don't need, but need anyway. I'd buy it and the rifle version, just as I did for the PLR-16 and SU-16, and the PMR-30 and CMR-30. I'm still waiting on a rifle version to go with my CP33.

Apparently darkwiter77 doesn't like the weirder Kel-Tec firearms, and that's fine, but I love them even more.

I'm not a Kel-Tec spokesperson and I don't have any inside information, but my guess is that maybe they considered the PF-9 to be close enough to a P11 Gen 2 and didn't want them competing against each other, although I too would have liked to have seen a striker fired and more refined version of the venerable P11. I thought it was too iconic to discontinue.

I do admit to a lack of objectivity. If Kel-Tec made a 50 BMG version of the PLR-16, I'd probably buy one. I know I'd buy a PLR in .308, just because. I may have moved beyond being a Kel-Tec fan (fanatic) to become a Kel-Tec fet (fetishist). I'm not suffering from mental illness. I quite enjoy it.

Reactions: RAT76
81 - 100 of 120 Posts