Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would guess so. Look at the double stack of rounds under the barrel. Incredible

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes. that's a 50 round FN PS90 magazine. Looks like a hinge on the lower front end, the whole top of the pistol must open up to insert the mag. I'm looking forward to seeing one of these.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
whats the publication date on that magazine?
is that a fig newton of the imagination or just a teaser?

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
My thoughts, at a glance of that photo:

1. Once again, Kel-Tec is cranking out stuff for a virtually non-existent market, hoping to CREATE a market;
2. Looks like something that would be better suited to having a pistol brace or actual stock attached to it. Given the current situation with the ATF regarding pistol braces, I don't think that'll bode well for this, if that's the case;
3. A rifle version would not only make more sense but would probably sell better, anyway;
4. If 5.7 ammo had more manufacturers (there's only, what, two or three?) and if P90 mags were more plentiful (does anyone besides FN make them at all?), I can see this maybe having more appeal. Again, a super-duper small niche market;
5. It's only a question of when and not if these start showing up in sci-fi movies/TV shows because that's one seriously Star Wars-lookin' hardware right there.

·
Super Moderator
9,977 Posts
This is what I love about Kel-Tec. Always pushing the technological limits, in design and manufacturing. That is one pumped-full-of-drugs space gat, which speaks to my inner self, even though I'd rather have a longer barrel. I don't own any 5.7 firearms. This might be the first. Bad news for other 5.7 firearm manufacturers and owners, because 5.7 ammo is going to be even more scarce. It's not the easiest cartridge to reload, but there are some significant rewards for reloading 5.7X28, and in this case, I'm not referring to price. I saved a bunch of 5.7 brass a long time ago when I'd shoot at a private range and someone else would leave a lot of their 5.7 brass. I need to see if I can find that brass. :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Does anyone on the board get the KT magazine?
Assuming this is the next issue, when can we expect more details?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does anyone on the board get the KT magazine?
Assuming this is the next issue, when can we expect more details?
I don’t think there’s a regular magazine. That looks like something for their booth at the SHOT Show, I think this pistol is their new product to show off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the spur on the back is a release lever to shotgun it open and that it operates in the downward direction thereby preventing it from happening when you have a firing grip.

That said I personally would prefer having it slide in form the side, even if only one directionally, than shotgun open. however shotgun open is what seems most likely from the pic.

tsh77769

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think you're probably right, but it also looks possible to side load and perhaps the hinged opening is for field strip.

·
Registered
367 Posts
1. Once again, Kel-Tec is cranking out stuff for a virtually non-existent market, hoping to CREATE a market;
There was almost a stampede of manufacturers in the 5.7 market.

1. CMMG Banshee - well that one was actually a conventional gun, although enabled by the flexibility of their unique delayed blowback system; feeds from a version of an Endomag
2. Ruger 57 - this gun really opened the doors, suddenly the idea of selling a 5.7 gun was not crazy anymore
3. DB whatever - that thing is just absurd in its unnecessary complexity, but it has a conventional outline; utilizes a short-stroke gas piston mechanism; feeds from FN Five-SeveN mags instead of Ruger's. Does not seem like a winner to me as I'd rather get Banshee, but it's out on the market.
4. MasterPiece announced a version of their Defender in 5.7, also with Five-SeveN magazines

I wish KelTec adopted RDB to P90 magazines, but oh well. It is what it is. And George is actually a little behind to market with P50, not creating anything non-existent.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Those calling it crazy, just think they could have gone KSG and put two P90 mags on it...
I mean, 100 rounds of 5.7x28 with a quick reload switch would be bonkers... I'm personally on team light and slim though, which is why I was excited when the KS7 came out. I really do think a C50 rifle version needs to be in the works.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts