KT Newbie w/ new P-3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by lukehalee, Feb 15, 2009.

1. lukehalee

lukehalee New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Been searching for months and finally got my P3AT yesterday. Had a brief moment today to sneak off to the range and run a couple of mags thru it. I must admit I was a little scared. Heard plenty of recoil comments. I am not a handgun guru but I do own a Ruger Super Redhawk and a 1911. I've shot .357 J frames. The SRH with full tilt loads gets your attention, but this little dude put more fear into me than the first pull on any of those!

How bad was the sting going to be? Would the snapping flip break my trigger finger?

To all that have heard/read or been concerned about an 8oz .380,,,,,these little dudes are sweet. Flawless performance and I must say it felt surprisingly soft and smooth. Very little flip. Never shot plastic guns before, but soft is the best adjective I can think of.

Initially,, couldn't be happier.

You all have a nice site here. Very informative and actually objective for a site dedicated to a particular brand. I don't know if the fluff and buff helped, but mine ran perfect.

Thanks,

Mark

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG

Off topic, but what lenght barrel on that SRH (I want a 4")

3. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Welcome to the wonderful world of KT. I love mine and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy my pocket rockets. Nothing conceals better. Good luck and happy shooting.

4. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I am not surprised at your finding on the P3AT recoil. While a number of folk do mention recoil in these light pistols as an issue, I have both a P3AT and PF9 in 9MM, and have no problems in recoil with either. Have put both through extended (100 plus rounds) with no problem, no sore hands, etc. Fluff and Buff on the grips helped some, but recoil, to me, is really not bad at all, especially in view of the light weight. By the way, welcome to the forum, and the World of Kel-Tec. You will find a weath of information here, and help if you need it.

Jim R

5. lukehalee

lukehalee New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    JFB,

I have the 7 1/2 inch barrel. I am also pleased with it. Planning to scope and/or laser it this year.

Mark

6. alioop

alioop Banned

Aug 28, 2008
    I have to add my opinion on recoil. I too was concerned, considering the light weight of this pistol. Not a problem. Of course lets keep in mind that the P3AT is designed for close range work. Don't be disappointed it you can't hit something at 50 yards. Just not make for that range. Still, I love it and had no problems with recoil.

7. lukehalee

lukehalee New Member

Feb 15, 2009
    I didn't have much time yeasterday, but I am pretty sure it is shooting low. I plan to get an arma laser unless popular opinion is the CT. I need to do a little searching on that.

8. molachi

molachi New Member

Jun 16, 2008
    Pensacola, Fl.
    Congratulations on the buy and good range trip. Just remember after cleaning lube it up...

John

9. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Wecome aboard!

I'm another P3AT owner who has no recoil aversion to the gun. Maybe I've forgotten how it felt when I first got one and shot it bare. Pretty quickly, but not because of recoil, I added grip pads and sleeve and mag. finger extension. My two P3ATs are fun to shoot!

BTW, I've got a Ruger Super Blackhawk and with hot loads know what recoil can really feel like. :)

Best of luck with your P3AT.

Take care...

10. Nexttime

Nexttime New Member

Dec 5, 2008
    The recoil doesn't affect my ability to keep the gun on target for the next shot. It does sting my hand unlike my S&W Sigma .380. For the same caliber it's much different, I can shoot six in a row with the Sigma and not feel sore. But I can feel it after one shot with the P3AT. I think it must have something to do with the weight of the gun. I can't give up the kel-tec though. I like the lighter weight and small size enough to keep shooting a few rounds a week until I get used to it.

11. LittleKatie

LittleKatie New Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Congrats on your new pistol!! I hope you all the best. I have not had to do any kind of fluff and buff with my KT and she has shot flawlessly. Just be sure to clean and lube as best you can after each shooting session. You will find that you will not leave home without it. It makes the perfect CCW. I always check my inventory before I leave the house. Wallet,,,,check,,,,,,cell phone,,,check,,,,,,house/car keys,,,,,check,,,,,LittleKatie,,,,,,check, then I can leave. Be sure to put in plenty of range practice. Also, practice on your grip so that you don't accidentally press the magazine release button with your thumb while shooting. As far as any recoil issues, well, that varies from person to person. I have no problems with it. If I wanted a pistol with little or no recoil, I would carry my .22. Remember, this is an up close and personal, point and shoot, personal protection type of pistol. Accuracy reflects more on practice than good aim with this one.