Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The locking plate, that is.

And to beat all, I was showing the gun off to someone who was interested in buying a P3AT.

He inserted the magazine to get an idea how the +1 extension felt in full grip, and the short end of the "L" of the locking plate broke off & fell to the floor.

Pretty darned embarassing.

Anyway, here's a photo of the plate...

Is this a common occurance?

I don't know that it would have affected the function of the magazine, had I needed to use it. The magazine didn't immediately fall apart, but the extension was moveable.

Do y'all think KelTec will replace the plate?

I bought the extension here, from Brock (adversary13).

Thanks,
Steve

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
If you return it to KT, I'm sure they'll replace it.
No need to mention where you bought it. One way or the other, it came from them.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had two do the same thing and KT sent me new ones.

I decided that I was the cause. Make sure you have the lip properly seated in the hole on the bottom. I eventually could hear it click in.

Then I went to the range and it started to back off. I sent the three back to KT and they are giving me a 100% refund - simply the best service I have ever seen!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything was seated properly.

I've carried this magazine & extension nearly every day for the past year or better and have used it to shoot a fair amount without ever a problem.

My theory on what caused this...

The short end of the locking plate, that fills the hole caused by the mag extension, stuck out ever so slightly from the magazine body. It would catch on the bottom of the grip, or rather the mainspring retainer, if you didn't take care to insert the magazine. I believe others here have experienced this.

When my friend inserted the magazine, I believe he jammed it in with a goodly amount of force. The lip of the plate caught the grip and the stress on it caused the plate to break. It does look like it's bent just a bit.

Anyrate, I'll contact Kel-Tec and see what they allow.

I have faith they'll make it good.

:)

·
Registered
49 Posts
On mine, I have to pay extra attention when I'm inserting a mag with a +1.

I keep the mag release button pushed in until the mag is 95% fully inserted, then I smack the bottom of the base all the way in while simultaneously releasing the mag release button.

As my hand comes away from the gun, I’m of the habit to pinch the mag bottom with my fingers and give it a semi-earnest tug down to see if the mag is really in (I do this on any gun that uses a detachable mag).

Then I turn the gun sideways in front of a good light source and peek at what’s going on between the follower and the locking plate; when full, the follower rests against the plate in a distinct manner. When I see that I know the loaded mag is good to go.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Kwesi said:
I had two do the same thing and KT sent me new ones.

I had two of them break as well, but mine were due to not fitting well and me trying to adjust them by bending them. They are heat-treated metal and do not do well when it comes to flexing. Even a slight bend can crack them.

SO, due to that, I use my magazines with Bersa extensions for carry, and the +1's for range use only.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I e-mail KT customer service just after my last post and I've already received a response.

:eek:

Asked for my address and said they'd send out a new part at no charge.

Awesome, as expected!

;D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had the same experience as adamky - pot metal parts don't like to be "redesigned". Kel-Tec sent me a couple of new plates (free) after a phone call. What I have decided to do is carry with the +1 since I can put it in carefully at home before I walk out the door. And my back up is a six rounder with a Bersa finger extension. If I can't solve the problem with 13 rounds I should have run like hell or stayed in bed! Laddie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.