Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello KSG owners!!! This is to list the upgrade options for the KSG particularly for a bed side gun/room clearing/John Wick. Please comment with what you run and why. Pictures, links, prices, and your comments are a great help.

Hi-Tech Custom Concepts and SMT Tactical make many accessories for the KSG.

Fore Grip
Vertical Grip (VG)
*eBay, USA Tactical Vertical Fore Grip $6.65, covers 3 inches of rail
*FAB defense folding grip with flashlight holder $70 holds a flash light 1 inch or 1 1/8 inch diameter.
*Magpul Rail Vertical Grip $25 with picatinny reinforcement.

Angled Fore Grip (AFG)
*Magpul AFG $35 Recoil may be bothersome with this grip.

Lower Picatinny Rail Reinforcement.
Lower picatinny is polymer and the metal cover is recommended for a small vertical grip.
*Hi-Tech's KSG Extended Lower Billet Picatinny Rail $40

*SMT Tactical's Lower Picatinny Safety Rail $36

Optics
Reflex/Holographic
Red dots makes it easier to acquire targets in the dark, makes target acquisition faster, and is easier for new shooters. In a red dot I want, lifetime warranty, auto turn on when I pick gun up, durability and reliability, long battery life, little obstruction of view.
*HS510C $200-$300. Circle-Dot recital, 20k hour battery, lifetime warranty, solar panel power(not charger), Quick Detach mount, motion turn on, super durable,
*Sitemark $100 is worth looking at, but I do not know about their quality.
*EoTeck is the classic, but I find it overpriced, bulky, short battery, and 2 year warrantee.

Iron Sights
*Magpul polymer flip up iron sights $85
*eBay has Chinese options $15. May need to test/modify.

Flashlight
There are so many options! I would want 350+ lumens, long life battery, very durable, rechargeable set up. Mounting on top rail may obstruct vision a bit. Mounting on bottom the light may move more while pumping; possibly distracting.
What flashlight do you run? How do you mount it?

Recoil Pad

*Kel-Tec extended butt pad $45. Great improvement on felt recoil. Extends lneght of pull 1/2".
*Limbsaver Small Slip On $20. Can slip around and do not look great.
*Pachmayr Decelerator Small Slip On $19. Can slip around and do not look great.

Sling
*Factory sling-I run my sling stitched on the back right and buckled on the front left.
*Hi-Tech KSG Q.D. Attachment w/Bungee Sling $115. I find a simple strap with a shoulder pad to be more comfortable and snag free than a bungee sling.
*What sling do you use?

Sling Pad
*Pro Tec Deluxe Neoprene shoulder pad for $17 (12.5" x 2.75")
*What sling pad do you use?
I find a long slender pad to be better for cross shoulder wear.

Selector Switch
Selector Switch can be upgraded for faster tube changes. I have the one from HiTech Customs. Easier to operate, but you could bump it if you are not used to it.
*Hi-Tech "Extended" Tube Position Arm $40. Change tubes with wrist. Can accidentally be bumped from right tube to middle.
*FFTS button style $65
*SMT Tactical, the KSG Combat Magazine Switch $32. Change tubes with wrist.
*W Engineering black extended stainless selector switch kit $70

Muzzle Device
$35 Tool recommended to remove barrel nut. Check number of groves in your barrel nut.
*Hi-Tech KSG Short "Crusher" Breacher $65
*Kel-Tec Choke Tube Adapter $56. Adds 1.5" to length of gun. Can be used to mount suppressor. Choke tubes sit inside the adapter and do not add to length. Takes Winchester choke tubes. Only for lead shot. Improved Cylinder tube recommended for Buck and Slug.
*Hi-Tech KSG Steel "Defender" Choke Adapter $60. Takes Remington choke tubes.

Cheek Pad

I was shooting in 39 degrees F today and when my face is cold the metal goes unnoticed.
*Kel Tec KSG Kydex Snap-On Cheek Rest $36

*Hi-Tech KSG Kydex Snap-On Cheek Rest $36

On board Ammo Storage

*Hi-Tech's KSG Nylon 7-Shell Velcro Card Holder $15
*SMT Tactical's 12 Round Rail System $250 Accepts SMT side picatinny rails.
*SMT Tactical's 6 Round Rail System $207 Accepts SMT side picatinny rails.
*Hi-Tech's KSG 14 Shell Ammo Rail System $220
*Hi-Tech's KSG 7 Shell Ammo Rail System $175

Magazine Tube Followers
Heavily used Remington 870s are known to have the followers break. Kel Tec uses thicker plastic and this is not an issue. Plastic may slide better than metal. If you want metal, Aluminum is recommended. Stainless Steel is harder than the surrounding parts and can damage them.
*Kel Tec Orange Aluminum Followers $40

*SMT Tactical High Visibility Teflon coated Orange Followers $31

Additional Accessories
*Allen 211 Shotgun Shell Belt $6 Holds 25 rounds.
*Grip Plug $15
*SMT Tactical Shell Deflector $58
I hope to add more to this later. Looking forward to comments.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Fore Grip
Magpul verticle fore grip on a aluminum rail for extra durability. I think this gives the best comfort for a pump action shotgun and the look goes with this bullpup very well. I tried AFG's and it hurts the hand on recoil or at least bothersome.

Optics
Magpul polymer flip up sights. These are light, strong, and basic, just what the KSG likes. I wouldn't be against a red dot or something, but would rather improve on my point and shoot accuracy (which is not hard for a shotgun since it has a lot of room for error).

Flashlight
Is my last thing to get, still need a mount too which is low profile. I don't want this on the lower rail as it moves while pumping and would be distracting.

Recoil Pad

I had a Kel Tec extended pad which was good, but I actually took it off in favor of the factory one and just put a Limbsaver low profile slip on (the half inch version). This way I can take it off when I want a shorter length of pull for thicker clothing or such.

Sling
I just use the factory sling for now. It's basic and lightweight enough that it doesn't get in the way when attached. I love qd swivels, but spent enough money on accessories for this gun.

Selector Switch
W Engineering steel black nitrided selector switch ($70). This is in my mind the perfect selector switch which doesn't get in the way, but much easier to manipulate than the factory switch (they basically just extended it a bit). It's also steel and won't wear out. I tried one of the aluminum ones but it wore fast and was too easy to accidentally hit, last thing I'd want in a high stress situation.

Muzzle Device
I had the Hi Tech steel short crusher breacher on their (great and low profile), but for more versatility to use chokes, I went with the Hi Tech steel defender choke adapter. It's 1 3/16" longer than the breacher, but love the fact I can put rem chokes in it.

Mag Tube Followers
I went with the SMT orange aluminum followers. They are lightweight, strong enough for the magtube, and low profile. This is controversial, but I feel they won't wear out the magtube lips which stop the followers when on empty. I had an issue with the stainless steel which ruined that part. I would rather have the followers get ruined than the magtube, which is the the core of the gun attached to the barrel as well.

Other Accessories
I put on a kydex cheek rest for comfort and put a velcro 7 round shell card on the right side. I don't remember the brand, but the cheek rest was the one with the straighter lines and doesn't make you have to take it off when you want to disassemble the KSG. It stays on very tight. Also I put on a simple grip plug for the handle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
steppingcrane,

What pushed you to get the cheek rest?
Does the 7 round Velcro get in the way at all?
Did you have any issues with the factory followers? What improvement have you noticed?
How much length does the Defender add to the gun?

Thank you
Bull

·
Registered
287 Posts
A lot of people replace the factory followers "just because".

The truth is the factory plastic followers are actually better because the plastic is self-lubricating and are much less likely to stick in the tube.
They also won't wear the inside of the tube like aluminum or especially steel.
In some very heavily used shotguns with steel followers the steel tends to wear and damage the magazine and shell stops from the battering of the steel follower impacting the end when the last shot is chambered.

One reason people replace plastic followers is because they worry that the plastic will swell or begin to come apart like some Remington 870 followers have been very rarely seen to do in heavily used Police guns.
The difference is, the 870 factory follower is pretty thin plastic and the KSG followers are not.

The fact is, when the gun is loaded there's virtually no stress at all on the plastic followers because the shells below the follower fully support it against any spring pressure.
There's actually more pressure on the follower if the magazine is completely empty.

I also prefer the factory followers because the white color shows up far better in bad light then the orange factory optional aluminum followers.

I consider the replacement aluminum and stainless steel followers to be something to be done just to customize the gun and make it more "Yours".

·
Registered
420 Posts
A lot of people replace the factory followers "just because".

The truth is the factory plastic followers are actually better because the plastic is self-lubricating and are much less likely to stick in the tube.
They also won't wear the inside of the tube like aluminum or especially steel.
In some very heavily used shotguns with steel followers the steel tends to wear and damage the magazine and shell stops from the battering of the steel follower impacting the end when the last shot is chambered.

One reason people replace plastic followers is because they worry that the plastic will swell or begin to come apart like some Remington 870 followers have been very rarely seen to do in heavily used Police guns.
The difference is, the 870 factory follower is pretty thin plastic and the KSG followers are not.

The fact is, when the gun is loaded there's virtually no stress at all on the plastic followers because the shells below the follower fully support it against any spring pressure.
There's actually more pressure on the follower if the magazine is completely empty.

I also prefer the factory followers because the white color shows up far better in bad light then the orange factory optional aluminum followers.

I consider the replacement aluminum and stainless steel followers to be something to be done just to customize the gun and make it more "Yours".
If you say so. IMO the OEM followers are junk.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have finally licked this project and I feel as if my KSG is ready for duty.

I have many of the suggested upgrades. The magazine followers were replaced for two reasons: the stock plastic ones seemed to bind and drag with the least amount of dirt or debris. The aftermarket followers make it easier to load ammo because the shell mouth can 'catch' the recess and chase the follower into the tube, instead of bobbling around on the surface.

I have multiple other refinements including the reinforced pic rail section and a Magpul VFG. I cannot stress enough the importance of reinforcing your lower rail section if you are going to run a VFG. The polymer is very fragile and prone to shearing. By adding a VFG you can correct one of the most serious issues with the KSG, which is that it requires an aggressive forward/rearward movement to run reliably. The extra leverage helps tremendously and the grip will help you suck the shotgun deeper into your shoulder.

I'm running a tritium See-All sight. At $200 it is an economical alternative to a standard fiber optic. There have been reports of even mid-tier red dots falling apart due to recoil, including Vortex and Primary Weapons Systems. I'm not knocking them-- just being honest about their durability. The See-All has no sensitive electronics.

The laser system is an older model Kryptonite Center Mass laser in green. There is a new version out that is substantially lower profile but I am too cheap to replace what ain't broken.

I do not recommend the picatinny rail that clamps to your sling mount. The sling mount bends very easily if you bump the rail, and if it bends in too far it will jam your forend and make it impossible to actuate the gun.

The flashlight system is a Surefire 6P mounted in a Magpul 45 offset. The pressure switch is routed to the pistol grip and attached by a ziptie through the takedown pin holes and adhesive backed velcro. When I get more money I am switching to a TangoDown VFG with the pressure switch pocket and installing an X300. This will reduce the side-to-side dimensional bulk and shave a little weight off the weapon system.

That's it! This gun is good to go. Hope this has been helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Good resource, thanks!

Dont forget to mention the tools, I think theyre important, for removing the magazine plugs more easily and breaking loose the barrel nut if you need to.

·
Registered
71 Posts
steppingcrane,

What pushed you to get the cheek rest?
Does the 7 round Velcro get in the way at all?
Did you have any issues with the factory followers? What improvement have you noticed?
How much length does the Defender add to the gun?

Thank you
Bull
The cheek rest is one of more popular things to get to add comfort so your cheek is not on the steel receiver, which can be really cold and feel more vibrations. This weight 4 ounces itself but is in the rear of the gun, so doesn't weight it down negatively.
The 7 round velcro does not get in the way at all, even with shells in it. You can always take off the velcro card and only the soft fuzzy side is still on it, which if you had to go the opposite hand, it wouldn't be uncomfortable.
I didn't have any issues with the factory followers..yet. This one is up for debate, but I will say the stainless steel ones ruined the mag tube lip that's suppose to stop them, so I had to send in the gun to get that whole tubes and barrel replaced. I went with smt orange teflon coated aluminum as they are softer than the steel tubes and are still robust.
The defender choke adds a total of 2 inches to the gun, but I like it as you can add versatility to the gun by using chokes. Some will say this 2 inches adds "safety" to distance the muzzle from you support hand in case. I don't even notice the weight either.

You forgot the support structure and wheeled carriage, for toting all that stuff on the gun around.

I prefer my nearly naked, just MBUIS
It's funny, I try to keep everything to a minimum, but this gun really needed a few things to increase versatility and comfort. If I was using this strictly as one thing, you can pass on many things and just get low recoil shells for home defense for example.

·
Registered
287 Posts
These are known to fit properly, both Pachmayr and Limbsaver...........

Another option is the Kel-Tec factory wider-longer-softer pad. This is a direct drop-in and looks much better then the slip-on pads.
It's on sale from Kel-Tec...........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts