Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I load a full 7 rounds in the tube the selector switch will not move. If I only load 6 it works fine but with 7 it can’t clear the lip of the cap. The KSG is supposed to hold 7 @ 2 3/4” but If I load 7 I’m unable to move the switch to load the other tube. It’s as though the spring is over-compressed. Has anybody else experienced this and or found a remedy?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn’t measure the shells. I tried both Fiocchi defensive 00 and Winchester 00 with the same results. I’ll measure them but seems that 2 name brand 2 3/4 shells should work. Also have some Rio rounds and will give them a try.

·
Registered
285 Posts
The 2 3/4 inch length of shot shells is the FIRED length.
Unfired shells length vary a good bit depending on the type of crimp, and the amount and type of pellets or slugs.

There's no good way to lengthen the space in the magazine, because that's determined by the necessary stacking room of the magazine spring and the follower.
The stock follower has to allow the spring to compress as far as possible, but not over-compress and risk the coils tangling.

Shortening the follower will risk the spring becoming tangled, and shortening the spring will risk failures to feed, especially if the gun is operated too fast.
The spring has to have the power to overcome inertia of the shells and the speed of operation.
In standard shotguns it's not uncommon for fast operation to cause the shell to fail to feed.
What's happening is the operator is running the gun so fast that when the gun fires the shells actually slide up the magazine from recoil and the bolt is operating before the spring can force them back into the feed position in time.
So, weaker springs can case feed failures from insufficient tension.
This is why Remington 870P Police shotguns have stronger springs in the magazine and the shell lifter.

About all that can be done is to try a variety or brands of shells to see if they'll allow the seventh shell.
Another thing to check is the magazine selector switch.
If an after market extended switch has been installed, that may be different enough from the factory switch that it's interfering with the shells.

Also you can check the switch itself for roughness or burrs, or a improperly formed surface that slides over the shells.
Be careful with the switch.
The tiny bolt that holds it is small enough that it can be broken off, and I don't see any way short of a trip back to the factory to extract it.
It's for that reason I don't recommend installing an after market switch.
The longer switches are long enough that they can be bumped or caught on something and snapped off.
On the other hand a longer switch would be easier to switch to the next magazine if you're willing to take the risk of a broken switch.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Return it to dealer and get a refund or one that actually works as advertised. 7 rds of 2 3/4 is not 6 rds. Let the dealer handle it with keltec. If they aren't willing to work with you contact your state consumer fraud department. You shouldn't be on the hook. You paid for something that isn't as advertised. Raise hell with dealer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts