Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Received my Kick Eez today and tried it. Very nice. I added the thick extra pad that came with it, slipped it over the stock and then folded the extra, which was going on too far, back onto itself a couple of folds and Voila! It makes a difference.
Glad you like it. I tried folding the excess as well but never liked how my attempts came out. I considered trimming as well but did not want to risk over trimming. Overall I determined that the little excess on the underside did not inhibit any function of the KSG.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Do you think trimming would affect how good it stays on the stock?
I think if one under trims it will not cause an issue. If it is trimmed too much I feel the rubber may split down its seem because there is a stretching force applied at the bottom of the stock right before the loading/ejection port.

I would also state that after trimming there is the potential to tear taking the slip-on off or on the stock.

I'm fine with leaving it alone at this point. It does not inhibit function so if the look bothers one than address as you see fit.

·
Registered
51 Posts
How about posting a link to the pad you all are talking about. I went to the site but wasn't sure which pad you are using. I also looked at the Limbsaver pads but didn't see one that fits the Kel Tec KSG; is anyone using those, and if so, which one. Appreciate a link if you have it, too.

Thanks, guys, I just got mine at a raffle; spent some money for a good cause and won a shotgun unlike any I've ever owned. Gave me a great reson to buy new stuff. :)

Ray

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought a Limbsaver pad at Wal-Mart. It was the small size and fit terribly. When you pull the KSG tightly into your shoulder it squiggles all over the stock. It should absorb shock but it won't stay in one place. I carried it back to Wal-Mart and got my money back. I suppose if the recoil is heavier than you like you should shoot lighter loads. The KISS principle seems to work here.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I ended up getting this recoil pad, the Airtech Slip-On Recoil Pad by Limbsaver, in the small size as recommended by one of the company reps; I e-mailed them and ask which I should buy,

Airtech-Slip-On-Recoil Pad

This is not a Kel Tec of course, but this is how the pad fits the rifle butt:

I put the small sized pad on and it fit well, tight and unmoving in my experience. I have not shot the KSG a lot, but this isn't my first shotgun or recoil pad. The pads fits like all others I have had and doesn't move around for me. I like both the feel and the look.

Ray

·
Registered
93 Posts
I ended up getting this recoil pad, the Airtech Slip-On Recoil Pad by Limbsaver, in the small size as recommended by one of the company reps; I e-mailed them and ask which I should buy,

Airtech-Slip-On-Recoil Pad

This is not a Kel Tec of course, but this is how the pad fits the rifle butt:

I put the small sized pad on and it fit well, tight and unmoving in my experience. I have not shot the KSG a lot, but this isn't my first shotgun or recoil pad. The pads fits like all others I have had and doesn't move around for me. I like both the feel and the look.

Ray
Picked up the small Limbsaver Airtech recoil pad recently and have shot while using it a couple of time since. The pad makes a big difference in the amount of recoil punishment dished out. As you can see in the pic, the small size pretty much fits perfectly. Highly recommended.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I wanted to add I have the Pachmayer decelerator on my KSG, and the factory cheek cover snaps over it and keeps it in place.
No need to trim. I highly recommend the combo.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Would be nice if some company designed a better recoil pad to fit the butt stock like the original. Just don't like the "look" of the slip on pads. If it becomes an issue, I'd just wear a PAST recoil pad on my shoulder instead.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I have the Pachmyer Decelerator Small, fits great. And the factory cheek rest snaps over the top, helping secure the pad.
I shot more than a few slugs last weekend, what an improvement over stock! It still stings, don't get me wrong.
Next time, I will try my Past Mag Plus Recoil Shield. Hopefully the extra 1/2" pad will make my KSG a cream puff to shoot.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Folks, to continue the set of threads about KSG accessories, a few thoughts on recoil pads (in particular the Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Pad). Sort of a follow up to a few older threads:

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f92/order-small-limbsaver-ksg-256240/
http://www.thektog.org/forum/f92/recoil-pad-ksg-249969/

-----------------------
Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Slip-On Pad (small)

The KSG, as a lightweight shotgun (7-9lb depending on accessories) will of course have some felt recoil. One of the traditional ways to assist with the felt recoil is the use of a recoil pad. While the KSG has a built in recoil pad, it is very firm to the point of being more a stock rather than a pad.

The two main slip-on recoil pads that I've seen for the KSG are the

Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Pad
Pachmayr

Limbsaver Slip-on Recoil Pad
Recoil Pads Showcase

From what I read (and experienced playing with a limbsaver in the store), the material and design in the Pachmayr is a little firmer than the limbsaver. To my touch, the limbsaver material felt a little softer and 'grippier'. Since I wanted something firm that would feel like an extension of the stock itself, I went with the Pachmayr Decelerator

Following a few other posts where the medium size was recommended I got that first...and the medium most assuredly does not fit correctly! There is a good half inch of play at the top and bottom when the pad is slipped onto the stock allowing for movement of the stock inside the slip-on pad. A second attempt buying the small size pad and that fits perfectly, less than 1/8" of dead space on the bottom of the pad when it is slipped over the stock. The slip-on pad holds the stock well, and feels solid when putting the KSG into battery on the shoulder or when carrying it about. Indeed, it is sufficiently secure that I hardly notice it is a slip-on and not part of the stock. I did trim a little of the material from the front edge of the slip-on in order for the edge of the pad to line up with the cheek cover (out of the box, the pad will overlap a little across a cheek cover).

The other characteristic of a slip-on recoil pad is to increase the length of pull in the stock. Since I've long arms and found that the trigger was a touch too far back, adding the ~1" Pachmayr recoil pad ended up lengthening the pull making for a more comfortable shooting position for me.

The Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad works by having a rubber grid/lattice with air gaps between. Recoil is absorbed by that lattice deforming under the recoil impact and compressing into the air gaps between the lattice. This absorbs some of the energy of the shot and spreads the duration of the recoil over a few fractions of a second longer which reduces the perception of the firearm recoil.

KSG / KS7 Recoil pad by Missouri Tactical Products

www.motacpro.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Folks, to continue the set of threads about KSG accessories, a few thoughts on recoil pads (in particular the Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Pad). Sort of a follow up to a few older threads:

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f92/order-small-limbsaver-ksg-256240/
http://www.thektog.org/forum/f92/recoil-pad-ksg-249969/

-----------------------
Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Slip-On Pad (small)

The KSG, as a lightweight shotgun (7-9lb depending on accessories) will of course have some felt recoil. One of the traditional ways to assist with the felt recoil is the use of a recoil pad. While the KSG has a built in recoil pad, it is very firm to the point of being more a stock rather than a pad.

The two main slip-on recoil pads that I've seen for the KSG are the

Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Pad
Pachmayr

Limbsaver Slip-on Recoil Pad
Recoil Pads Showcase

From what I read (and experienced playing with a limbsaver in the store), the material and design in the Pachmayr is a little firmer than the limbsaver. To my touch, the limbsaver material felt a little softer and 'grippier'. Since I wanted something firm that would feel like an extension of the stock itself, I went with the Pachmayr Decelerator

Following a few other posts where the medium size was recommended I got that first...and the medium most assuredly does not fit correctly! There is a good half inch of play at the top and bottom when the pad is slipped onto the stock allowing for movement of the stock inside the slip-on pad. A second attempt buying the small size pad and that fits perfectly, less than 1/8" of dead space on the bottom of the pad when it is slipped over the stock. The slip-on pad holds the stock well, and feels solid when putting the KSG into battery on the shoulder or when carrying it about. Indeed, it is sufficiently secure that I hardly notice it is a slip-on and not part of the stock. I did trim a little of the material from the front edge of the slip-on in order for the edge of the pad to line up with the cheek cover (out of the box, the pad will overlap a little across a cheek cover).

The other characteristic of a slip-on recoil pad is to increase the length of pull in the stock. Since I've long arms and found that the trigger was a touch too far back, adding the ~1" Pachmayr recoil pad ended up lengthening the pull making for a more comfortable shooting position for me.

The Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad works by having a rubber grid/lattice with air gaps between. Recoil is absorbed by that lattice deforming under the recoil impact and compressing into the air gaps between the lattice. This absorbs some of the energy of the shot and spreads the duration of the recoil over a few fractions of a second longer which reduces the perception of the firearm recoil.
New option

KSG / KS7 Recoil pad by Missouri Tactical Products LLC

www.motqcpro.com

21 - 40 of 40 Posts