Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks, to continue the set of threads about KSG accessories, a few thoughts on recoil pads (in particular the Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Pad). Sort of a follow up to a few older threads:

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f92/order-small-limbsaver-ksg-256240/
http://www.thektog.org/forum/f92/recoil-pad-ksg-249969/

-----------------------
Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Slip-On Pad (small)

The KSG, as a lightweight shotgun (7-9lb depending on accessories) will of course have some felt recoil. One of the traditional ways to assist with the felt recoil is the use of a recoil pad. While the KSG has a built in recoil pad, it is very firm to the point of being more a stock rather than a pad.

The two main slip-on recoil pads that I've seen for the KSG are the

Pachmayr Decelerator Recoil Pad
http://www.pachmayr.com/home/deceleraton-slip.php

Limbsaver Slip-on Recoil Pad
http://www.limbsaver.com/firearms/recoil.php#slip

From what I read (and experienced playing with a limbsaver in the store), the material and design in the Pachmayr is a little firmer than the limbsaver. To my touch, the limbsaver material felt a little softer and 'grippier'. Since I wanted something firm that would feel like an extension of the stock itself, I went with the Pachmayr Decelerator

Following a few other posts where the medium size was recommended I got that first...and the medium most assuredly does not fit correctly! There is a good half inch of play at the top and bottom when the pad is slipped onto the stock allowing for movement of the stock inside the slip-on pad. A second attempt buying the small size pad and that fits perfectly, less than 1/8" of dead space on the bottom of the pad when it is slipped over the stock. The slip-on pad holds the stock well, and feels solid when putting the KSG into battery on the shoulder or when carrying it about. Indeed, it is sufficiently secure that I hardly notice it is a slip-on and not part of the stock. I did trim a little of the material from the front edge of the slip-on in order for the edge of the pad to line up with the cheek cover (out of the box, the pad will overlap a little across a cheek cover).

The other characteristic of a slip-on recoil pad is to increase the length of pull in the stock. Since I've long arms and found that the trigger was a touch too far back, adding the ~1" Pachmayr recoil pad ended up lengthening the pull making for a more comfortable shooting position for me.

The Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad works by having a rubber grid/lattice with air gaps between. Recoil is absorbed by that lattice deforming under the recoil impact and compressing into the air gaps between the lattice. This absorbs some of the energy of the shot and spreads the duration of the recoil over a few fractions of a second longer which reduces the perception of the firearm recoil.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got a small one from Butler Creek the other day at Academy. I have yet to shoot with it, but it was half the price of the Limbsaver. I am trying to figure out which Limbsaver size to use. If it is the Medium they have that as well at a fair price. They do not seem to carry the small.

·
Registered
63 Posts
By the way, I think it is fair to mention:
I am a whooping 5'-7" with normal dimension arms and I find the KSG to be way short. I really have to concentrate on "pulling it in" instead of getting thumped because it ain't tight on my shoulder. That is my primary reason for the recoil pad. I am thinking about just building an extension instead.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am purchasing a kick-eez slip on. It will be the small size which is about an 1/8 inch smaller than a pachmeyer small.

I may even investigate a preformed or grind to fit pad after my gunsmith and I take it down to ground in a couple weeks.

I really could not tell how the current stock pad attaches on the ksg. I suspect it is held in by a rim edge that mates the pad to inside the stock. I think this because pressure from fingers pushes into the stock and there are no visible screw holes that most shotguns have for recoil pads.

I am also planning of getting a pack of 2 additional inserts so I can play with length of pull and recoil absorption.

I am familiar with sorbothane product in applications involving sound reduction and protection of electronics.

This should be amazing on a ksg to the point of raising it to a comparison of firing a 410 round.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think you are right on the way it fits. The blow-up schematic of the KSG looks like it has a rim gripping design.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I too agree.....the medium limbsaver is not the size you need.
I just tried one.
I think i may buy the small limbsaver and find a way to wrap the original
Butt pad for a more stock look....that might be tough given howmthe original fits.
That or trim it back for the best possible look.
The limbsaver is a jelly type loose rubber so tighter is better.
If it moves...its iseless.
For 23.00( walmart) .. Its not something you want to experiment with.
Geez.... I see these going for 37-40 bucks online ....yikes!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got the small limbsaver from Wal-mart. Works great and fits tight. My 5'3 140lb wife has no problems dumping 2 tubes of full power buck with the Limbsaver on.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The standard pad on the KSG is rimmed for attachment. It easily pulls off and goes back on pretty easy as well in case you want to try it. THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS INCORRECT (8-1 edit) ---It also looks like there may be some logical attachment points for an addition.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The standard pad on the KSG is rimmed for attachment. It easily pulls off and goes back on pretty easy as well in case you want to try it. It also looks like there may be some logical attachment points for an addition.
When you say logical attachment points are you referring to screw holes for an aftermarket pad or do you mean some macguyvering can maybe accomplish it?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thank you for keeping me honest. I went back in and looked because I thought I saw a screw hole. The "screw hole" is the back of the carrier. So if I used it to mount and extension I would create a single shot. Crap!

You could epoxy in mounting blocks (or screw in) on the lower 2/3rds of the area if care was taken so it could be disassembled later. So McGuyver is needed.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I looked as well and came to the same conclusion. I also noticed after pushing the pad back in that it affected the action and was likely from the pad preventing the movement necessary for the bolt to move correctly. I will be disassembling the stock tonight to ensure it is a non issue.

As a side note I received my kickeez small slip recoil pad and it fits snug with no play. The insert that comes with it is half inch. I also bought the additional pack of two quarter inch inserts. Right now I have the half and one of the quarter inch pads in the slip on covers. I'll report more after I get a chance for some range time of the performance of the product.

·
Registered
96 Posts
So I got to go shoot with the recoil pad. I moved down to just a half inch insert. My gunsmith thought I was too extended with my stroke arm.

Shot slugs and 00 buck. Also shot about 150 target loads. After close to 200 rounds in less than 2 hours, my shoulder is not sore or bruised.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did you remove the pad on the ksg before you slipped on the kick eez?
No. You should not remove that piece of the KSG.

If one did that with the kick-eez product, the inserts could cause the shell lifters not to function properly. The shell lifters counterweight is right underneath the KSG buttpad. If the counterweight cannot move freely the shell lifters would fail to function properly.

This would be true for any slip-on recoil pad that uses inserts.

I cannot speculate with one-piece recoil pads.

·
Registered
32 Posts
At a short range session I shot cheap steel shot and mini slugs with Pachmayr small. No issues, forgot it was there, need to try it with full power stuff though. So far so good...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Received my Kick Eez today and tried it. Very nice. I added the thick extra pad that came with it, slipped it over the stock and then folded the extra, which was going on too far, back onto itself a couple of folds and Voila! It makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts