Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had a long range session today! And I observed something I wish to share with members and non-members who read this forum.
It may take a few post to explain so be patient, I'm also watching football and eating Joe Patti's royal red shrimp!

So, I was trying to get my new red dot set up dialed in.
I was shooting slugs off of bags. I noticed a hell of a kick. No big deal it's a KSG. It's gonna kick more than most. Then I noticed when I shot (using shooting bags) that with the recoil, the forend would already be to the rear. And the empty shell ejected. It ejected without me pulling the forearm to the rear. Soon, (3 rounds later) I had 3 failure to fire. Examination of the shell, it appeared to barely have signs of a light firing pin strike.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
But I was still 1-3 inches high at 25 yards.
So back to the bench and shooting bags.
Like I had been doing all day, I shoved the gun forward on the bag. On an AR, or AK, the mag well would be shoved forward to the back of the bag.

But on the KSG, this caused the bag to press the slide release......

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So here's where I was trying to get to,..
So, the bags were putting enough pressure on the slide release that for the second 2 of the first three rounds, I think it pulled enough to come out of battery and fired. Because the recoil was so violent, the forend/carrier would be blown to the rear. Ejecting the spent shell.

Luckily, next I started getting failures to fire. Hammer would fall, but no bang.
So I proceeded to shoot 3 flawless rounds, standing off-hand.
Back to bench, different ammo. Click. Different ammo. Click.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So What I Learned:

I wedged the shooting bags between a vertical grip and the trigger guard. Thinking it was perfect. Wrong! But now that I think about it, it may have help obsorb the recoil.
So I removed the vertical grip.

When shooting from a rest, (and I guess hand placement too) make sure nothing is near the slide release.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So to finish, I popped in a few of those cool mini slugs which not surprisingly, shot low. Progressively lower the further out I pushed it.

I popped off a couple more hollow points from the bags and decided that an inch or so high at 25 yards would be just fine.

That new Sight Mark only needed three clicks down to dial it in. (Same thing when I put it on my S2K) I hope it's batteries last longer than my old one. It's supposed to.

I was tired from being at the range all day.
But I really wanted to push it out to the gong we had been pounding all day.
It was set out at 150 yards.
I proceeded to hit 2 out of 5 and called it a day.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.