Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I finally got my hands on a KSG earlier this month. I cleaned and oiled it before my first shoot. I started off shooting some bird shot. Then went to slugs and buck shot all high brass. I have been having constant failures to extract and double feed issues since purchase. I have noticed my KSG is peeling the brass back causing a tight fit in the chamber. I have taken apart and cleaned and tried again several times with the same failures. Has anyone seen this before? Thank you for all the help in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
823 Posts
Looks like a burr or some other obstruction is damaging the brass. Looks consistant, examine the chamber and mag tube visually and tactilely. From the looks of it it should stick out like a sore thumb, don't cut your finger.:oops:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran a chamber hone through it last night and feels smooth as can be. Could it be the shell retainer on the tube causing this. I have found it is difficult to load shells into the tunes without snagging on these.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I ran a chamber hone through it last night and feels smooth as can be. Could it be the shell retainer on the tube causing this. I have found it is difficult to load shells into the tunes without snagging on these.
Check it, something is constantly hanging and damaging that brass...

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
...I have been having constant failures to extract and double feed issues since purchase. I have noticed my KSG is peeling the brass back causing a tight fit in the chamber. I have taken apart and cleaned and tried again several times with the same failures. Has anyone seen this before?
We've seen this before. Notice the brass was peeled before the round is fired:

https://www.thektog.org/threads/ftf-brass-being-peeled-back.269316/
It's low-brass but he traded the KSG before sending it in or posting a solution:wall:.
This definitely happens as the round is going into the chamber (likely being slightly cocked to the side). I think the last one was from one of the shell-lifting fingers being bent and not serving the round up to the chamber straight, but I can't find it:(.
If you bought the KSG new, call in for a service ticket and KT will fix it free:).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I messed with it when I got home from work. My KSG has been pretty hard to load the tubes. She’ll latch kept catching on the brass but never noticed it notching the rim. I loaded it holding the shell latch down and shot 15 shells of high brass buck shot with no issues at all. I think it has to be the shell latch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a KSG Gen2 and just got it back from KelTech repair - I told them of one problem of a bent trigger rod and they sent it back with 5 different items fixed that I didn't ask for! They got it back to me in a week and all I needed to do was to send a copy of the receipt (x2 in the package) ship with insurance! The Gun Smiths at Kel-Tec Rock.

·
Registered
596 Posts
So I messed with it when I got home from work. My KSG has been pretty hard to load the tubes. She’ll latch kept catching on the brass but never noticed it notching the rim. I loaded it holding the shell latch down and shot 15 shells of high brass buck shot with no issues at all. I think it has to be the shell latch.
if you have trouble starting the shells into the tube check the edge of the magazine tubes. on the KS7 some of us found the square and very sharp edge would catch the front of the shell and at that point it was almost impossible to force the shell into the tube. breaking the corner with a file or stone fixed the issue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello. New forum member and recent KSG owner, I ran into the same issue (brass being peeled) than you. Did you ever find a solution? Your post is old but there's no conclusion on this thread if you made it work properly. I did some analysis myself, it occurs that the brass peeling is not due to the shell latch, but to the chamber bottom edge where the shell is pushed by the bolt to be fed in the chamber. Somehow, the shell is not inserted flat and the brass is hitting the bottom edge of the chamber (the part just above the extractor) which is very sharp and acting like a razorblade on the brass. I am looking for a solution to fix that behavior, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

NB : in the picture below, chamber is upside down and the orange arrow is pointing towards the "razorblade" edge peeling the brass.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Your best of all options is to send the gun back to Kel-Tec and have them professionally correct the problem.
While they have it they'll give it a close inspection for any other potential problems and fix them.
They'll pay shipping both ways.
You paid for a good gun...... let them correct it on their dime.
Kel-Tec seems to be fairly fast on warranty returns.

If you don't want to do that and are willing to void the factory warranty AND run the risk of botching up the expensive to replace barrel you can use some method of lightly rounding off the sharp edge of the chamber.

The trick is to do JUST enough to lightly break and smooth the sharp edge and no more.
Methods can be using a rotary tool like a Dremel or flex shaft and a Cratex type rubber bonded abrasive "bullet" shape, or to use some fine wet or dry sand cloth on the ball of your thumb, or some sand cloth wrapped around a dowel rod.

This is one of those things you want to sit down and think about carefully before starting to alter the gun, versus letting Kel-Tec correct it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
s
Your best of all options is to send the gun back to Kel-Tec and have them professionally correct the problem.
While they have it they'll give it a close inspection for any other potential problems and fix them.
They'll pay shipping both ways.
You paid for a good gun...... let them correct it on their dime.
Kel-Tec seems to be fairly fast on warranty returns.

If you don't want to do that and are willing to void the factory warranty AND run the risk of botching up the expensive to replace barrel you can use some method of lightly rounding off the sharp edge of the chamber.

The trick is to do JUST enough to lightly break and smooth the sharp edge and no more.
Methods can be using a rotary tool like a Dremel or flex shaft and a Cratex type rubber bonded abrasive "bullet" shape, or to use some fine wet or dry sand cloth on the ball of your thumb, or some sand cloth wrapped around a dowel rod.

This is one of those things you want to sit down and think about carefully before starting to alter the gun, versus letting Kel-Tec correct it.
Thanks a lot @dfariswheel for your reply, especially describing both options (KT warranty and the do-it-yourself one). Thing is, I live in France, having my KSG sent to KT in US and back will be a nightmare I believe... If I was in the US, I'll won't have second thought sending it for proper repair. But from here, it may means no shotgun for several months... hoping when I'll have it back the problem will be fixed. Because reading this forum since a week, I understand I can receive the gun back still not working!
Do you know someone (if not you) that ran into that exact same problem and the do-it-yourself method worked fine and solved the issue? It's been a couple of days now that I'm sitting down and thinking lol, I just would like to be sure before voiding the warranty that it will work, because if not, I have no self solution... and no warranty anymore.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sorry, I missed that you aren't in the USA.

One option would be to contact Kel-Tec and ask if you could send them JUST the barrel.
That "might" be a lot less trouble to ship.

If not, you're probably going to have to address this yourself, and voiding the warranty isn't as big an issue, since you'd still have to figure out how to ship the gun back anyway if it had a major warranty problem.

If you run your finger over the area on the rear of the chamber and you feel a sharp edge, or even a raised burr, that's probably your problem.
In that case since any sharpness or burr won't be huge and will probably require very little work, I'd consider taking care of it yourself.
Of course, if you have a professional gunsmith available, you could have him do the correction.

If you want to do this yourself, all you really need is probably almost no metal removal and it can be done with any of the abrasive methods I posted above.
I'd consider just some fine grit wet or dry sand cloth on the ball of your thumb and a little side to side and back and forth movement over the edge of the chamber to lightly round off the sharp edge.

As a second check, inspect the "prongs" of the shell lifter to insure they aren't bent out of shape and allowing the shell to tilt out of line with the chamber when the bolt goes forward.
Properly set up the shell should pretty much go straight into the chamber if the shell is resting on the prongs correctly.
Be wary of bending the prongs unless it's very obvious they're deformed.

Bottom line, without being able to actually inspect the gun, I suspect very little rounding of the sharp chamber mouth will cure the problem.

Let us know what you do and the results.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts