Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i know in some states it has to have a plug to limit the amount of rounds in it. What kind of mag plug does it come with and do i have to buy a plug to limit it to, uh lets say 3 rounds?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Mine did not come with a mag plug. That said, if you want such a thing (I certainly don't), such a plug could be made from a dowel.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The problem with the KSG is that the inner caps on the ends of the magazine tubes are not easy to remove and that's the only way to get access to the magazines to clean or install magazine limiter plugs.
This is one weakness of the design.

The inner caps are secured with Loctite and removal usually requires mild heat and a special tool to unscrew the caps without damaging them or the threads in the magazine tubes.
There's a video on the Kel-Tec site showing the removal process, but I strongly recommend buying a better tool in order to prevent damage..........

How to remove the caps......

The best tool to use to avoid damage to the gun........

Also..........

Here's another not as good.........

I recommend NOT using the technique of a bolt and two nuts as a removal tool. That can do serious damage if there's a problem.

One way "might" be to use two thin wood dowels that will slip through the holes in the inner magazine caps into the magazine tubes.
That will depend on how big the holes in the magazine followers are. If the holes in the followers are too big, the dowel would slip through into the action.
With the gun assembled that might work, but it might also be a chore to get them back out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The problem is as others have suggested is that you have to disassemble a lot of the gun to get to the tubes to put a dowel inside(not practical if you plan on using this for home defense). What I did was drill two holes in the tube caps and then threaded the holes so I could thread a long screw inside to “cap” the tubes to 1-3 rounds. Maybe one day I’ll do a post on this mod.

·
Registered
380 Posts
It's approaching deer season and I know of one hunter who swears the KS7 is a perfect hunting gun from a deer stand.
He says the short length is easier to get on target without alerting the deer and easier to handle getting up and down the stand.

Apparently some states limit magazine capacity even for guns not used to hunt wild fowl, so plugging the KSG magazines would be necessary.
The only problem is that accessing the KSG double magazine tubes is not easy and not something you should do very often due the risk of damage to the magazine tube threads or the caps.

It would appear that the best method of dealing with this is to buy the best type of mag cap tool you can and make limited use of Loctite, OR just make sure to check the cap tightness often with the tool.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts