Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Does changing the followers help with feeding and should you use stainless or aluminum?
If you consider the followers as a wear item, then I suggest aluminum. That said, I have used both. Also...the OEM mag springs are relatively weak, which can (but not necessarily) cause or contribute to misfeeds with some followers.

Bottom line, test 'em before you trust 'em...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Does changing the followers help with feeding and should you use stainless or aluminum?
I bought the Kel-Tec aluminum follower for the KS7 and it didn't help. I had multiple instances in which the first shell into the magazine would hang up and prevent loading a second shell, and I also had several failures to feed. My new KS7 is presently on the way to the Kel-Tec factory for warranty service.

As to the material of the follower, I went with an anodized aluminum alloy follower on my Benelli Nova Tactical pump shotgun which I used for five years to requalify with the Sheriff's Office. It performed flawlessly throughout. A stainless follower could do no better. I've never seen a stainless follower on the market, though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
A number of people have reported various problems after installing after market followers.

I question why to replace the factory White plastic followers since unless the gun is defective right out of the box, they seem to function perfectly.
Plastic is strong and self-lubricating, and doesn't corrode or have a finish to wear off like aluminum does..
Shotgun followers are actually under no stress, and the only ones I ever saw fail were the thin followers in Remington 870P Police guns that were so old the plastic simply began disintegrating from years in hot patrol cars.
The Kel-Tec followers are far thicker then the Remington.

If you want new followers "just because" no brand is really better then any other.
The factory after market are good quality, Brownell's sell a good number of compatible brands and types, and M-Carbo sells a one that gets good reviews.

I do strongly recommend buying a GOOD tool to remove the inner KSG magazine caps.
Expedient tools like a bolt and two nuts may not work and can damage the gun.
Damage the threads on the magazine tubes and that's a factory repair, and I on't know how they can repair a damaged tube without selling you an entire new receiver and tube assembly.

M-Carbo sells one of the best tools, but you apparently have to buy the followers too......

I strongly recommend NOT buying the Kel-Tec factory sales tool, it's prone to slipping and damaging the inner caps.

Other good inner cap tools........

This one is excellent and at a lower price..........

Probably the best.......

·
Registered
459 Posts
Some of us just don't trust plastic followers, based on experience. While the OEM KSG plastic followers are arguably more durable than what came with my Hawk 870 clone, I replaced them anyway. No regrets.

·
Registered
107 Posts
IAlso...the OEM mag springs are relatively weak, which can (but not necessarily) cause or contribute to misfeeds with some followers.
Have you done anything to replace the OEM mag springs with better, aftermarket springs? If so, from who?

·
Registered
412 Posts
One warning about "stronger" magazine springs......... a stronger spring is often a larger diameter spring or one with more coils.
That may cause a spring to take up more room in the tube, and cause it to be unable to hold a full load of shells.

As a number of Kel-Tec and other brand shotgun owners have found, the unfired length of shotgun shells varies depending on the manufacturer and how they crimp them.
Some owners find that they can't get the last shell into the tube because of this.

I follow a standard on things like magazine springs........ unless it doesn't work, don't replace it.
Installing a different spring when the factory part works correctly will often cause problems were there were none.
Installing different parts "just because" often wastes money and causes problems you didn't have.
Kel-Tec designed their guns to function correctly with the factory spring. If it doesn't, there's something wrong with the gun...... return it to the factory for repair.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The only reason I asked about mag springs is because I'm used to keeping magazines loaded for many months at a time. High quality mag springs shouldn't take a set even after several years, but I don't know if Kel-Tec springs fall into this category. Wolff springs sure do, which is why I always use their springs.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Have you done anything to replace the OEM mag springs with better, aftermarket springs? If so, from who?
The OEM springs (wimpy) in both tubes have taken a "set" (with only about 3" free length beyond the mag tube) & cause misfeeds when 3 or less 2.75" shells are in the tube.

I have Wolff Gunspring 40" (standard) 12 ga mag springs on order, & will likely cut them to 30" (approx.) to start, & test from there.

I run Wolff springs in my other tube fed scatterguns as well. No issues with them at all, when properly installed.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The OEM springs (wimpy) in both tubes have taken a "set" (with only about 3" free length beyond the mag tube) & cause misfeeds when 3 or less 2.75" shells are in the tube.

I have Wolff Gunspring 40" (standard) 12 ga mag springs on order, & will likely cut them to 30" (approx.) to start, & test from there.

I run Wolff springs in my other tube fed scatterguns as well. No issues with them at all, when properly installed.
That's great info. Please let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will add that the mag tubes were loaded 6 rds each side (not 7); 70mm shells. I don't recall how many years. I am not favorably impressed with the OEM springs.
I kept them loaded with 6 rounds of 2.75 shells for about a year, and they seemed to eject pretty well. But I believe in a little more oomph that too little.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I don't have enough time with the Kel-Tec's to have a feel for spring quality but I would be cautious about installing extra-power springs.....

The thought that the trouble comes from weak springs is not necessarily the case.
More problems come from fouled-rusty magazines and springs, and shot shell compression.
For some reason many people never consider that magazine tubes get full of debris and fouling, and the springs tend to rust easily if not maintained.

Something discovered by law enforcement is that shotguns, especially with magazine extensions, can cause shotgun shells to compress and start to bulge.
The pressure of the stronger spring on the column of shells causes the cases to compress and begin to form bulges.
The bulging happens between the case head and the shot, and can cause feed and extraction problems.
I once loaded a Remington 870 Police gun with a factory extension with 6 rounds of Federal #1 buckshot,
The gun was racked in a warm room in the summer. After a month I inspected it and found the shells were bulging.

Shotgun magazine springs are rather touchy, often in unexpected ways.
Too strong and you can get shell compression, too weak and you can get weak feed, or the totally unexpected problem of shooting fast and having the gun fail to feed at all.
The reason Police 870's have a stronger spring even in the 4 shot guns is that if you operate the gun very fast the recoil causes shells to slide up the magazine from inertia, and fast operation can cause the action to be closing before the shells slide back under weak spring pressure to the feed position.
This is often mistaken for "short stroking" the action.

If you want stronger springs, or you find the factory springs are not durable, you can look into replacement with better types.
Just don't trade one problem for another, unexpected problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts