KSG Bolt dissassembly

Discussion in 'KSG Bullpup Shotgun' started by pax, Dec 20, 2013.

1. pax

pax New Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Has anyone taken the KSG bolt assembly completely down, all the way down, to the firing pin? Quick search turned up nada. Thanks.

2. postalWagon

postalWagon Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Where I am told to
    It is not recomended to disasemble the bcg.

3. pax

pax New Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Looks pretty straightforward from the "exploded view". Why is it verboten? Is this going to be the FNAR all over again...

4. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    FNAR?

Why do you want to disassemble the bolt? It seems like you can clean it just fine assembled.

5. pax

pax New Member

Jan 9, 2013
    FNAR [​IMG]
    One of the most if not the most (in it's price range) accurate (sub moa) semi-automatic detachable magazine fed rifles with anything MIL-STD-1913 standard. It is however not a battle rifle by any means because while the design is BAR based, if you disassemble past a certain area (especially the bolt group), you are voiding your warranty. I also compare it to the FNAR in this case because while it has the appearance of battle ready with all of the black polymer and rails for days, it's robust look and function is hampered by a lack of ease in care. In the FNAR's case (and it makes more sense to me now) it is more about precision that it is best that you do not get into the internals but the KSG has no excuse. Unless it is a wolf in sheep's clothing, you should be able to disassemble it with no questions asked. I get that this shotgun is not designed to be battle ready but this little bit of maintenance should be easily part of it's design.
    Why disassemble it? The bolt has a lot of interior space where the lugs are that dirt and grime can get into, although, I plead ignorance as to how many rounds this bolt group can absorb and still function reliably.
    Shotgun ammo is just very dirty stuff and I know these shotguns are not battle shotguns by any means, but complete cleaning is just how I was trained.
    What happens if you drop the bolt in the mud or rain (it catches the best of us) just during a typical field strip? Is everyone just sending the things back to Kel-Tec? I know better to take it apart till someone else has done so with success because as simple as this bolt assembly appears, there's always some fiddly way a spring or something has to go in just right or you you might see some metal shavings after a few rounds or, even worse, misfunction at the worse time.
    Sorry for the length of my reply but I have not bought another Keltec in awhile and I got suckered in by it's ergonomics and round capacity and by the fact that it had escaped some of it's bad publicity but if it really cannot be broken down any further without invalidating your warranty, it does tend to lend more argument to the novelty over function aspect a lot of the haters say. And I really didn't want to have just now come to know this costume jewelry aspect after I sunk this much into the shotgun...having a big biting feeling of (maybe preemptive) caveat emptor all of a sudden...

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  6. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    It sounds like you may be over thinking things and worrying about problems you don't yet have. If you aren't happy with the ksg I'm sure you could sell it pretty easily. Personally I woukd keep it, if something were to go wrong KT will take care of you.

I still see no reason to disassemble the bolt. It's not nearly as dirty shooting as a gas AR. If anything soak it in CLP or Ed's Red and blow the excess out with compressed air. The bolt is pretty open so that should get it nice and clean. I've only shot mine once and cleaned it twice. I just used q-tips to clean as much as I could.

7. pax

pax New Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Overthinking it? This is an internet forum; it is made for banality. You should see the sub reddits ;) Seriously though, I know a problem coming when I see it...plus I already did it... Everything is back together like it never happened but I forgot to take a picture of the final bit...
    Will some kind member take a picture of how the extractor spring orients to the extractor. I know the vetrical orientation but not sure which would be forwards or backwards You just need to push out the pin/extractor axis towards front of the bolt face and make sure you have the bolt upside down so it doesn't fall out on you...
    P.S. Keltec that extractor spring is pitiful, thin, thin gauge wire and might be the reason of so many failure to extracts. See guys, you learn insight by breaking things down...or in my case just breaking things ;)

8. pax

pax New Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Anyone want to take a quick pic? It's a pic of your bolt not like I am asking for a pic of your wife ;)

9. jdyno718

jdyno718 New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    I would take a pic for you but I'm not sure what you want?! I am new to shotguns...

10. pax

pax New Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Bolt dissasembly

The pin is in the front towards the bolt face. It holds in place the extractor and extractor spring. With the extractor, lugs face up, the flat side of the bolt down, push the pin out and what I am looking for is the exact orientation of the spring. I know which end faces where on the spring but I am not absolutely certain if I have the spring in upside down or not.
    I tried a quick function test both ways and it surprisingly seems to work both ways but I am not firing or racking multiple rounds just in case I am putting the wrong tension on it...A MAC once taught me I have spring dyslexia...:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  11. jdyno718

jdyno718 New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    Here is a pic of it assembled. The spring looks to be connected by a bar. The bar is shown in the pic...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  12. jdyno718

jdyno718 New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    In your last picture rotate the spring 90degrees clockwise. And that looks how mine is... I did not disassemble

13. pax

pax New Member

Jan 9, 2013
    Thank you. Are you saying the flat part of the spring(it has two "pointy" ends and a flat end on the opposite side) faces up and away from the front of the bolt? Couldn't quite make out from the photo. The spring does not seem to do anything in this position is why I ask. Thanks again

14. jdyno718

jdyno718 New Member

Dec 15, 2013
    yes, the flat end faces up and away... at least I can see it in that position without disassembling. private message me if you need more help

15. Dennis Bauer

Dennis Bauer Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Y’all, I did the same thing... smh. Is this How the spring should look like? I got more confused reading the comments 87CFA229-C140-465F-9519-48DB6E411106.jpeg

16. Dennis Bauer

Dennis Bauer Member

Aug 4, 2020
    Nvmd, figured it out. Here is the propped spring position for future mess ups.

Attached Files: