KSG-Barrel Ring Lug

Discussion in 'KSG Bullpup Shotgun' started by curryman, Jun 19, 2017.

1. curryman

curryman Active Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Need to borrow one. Four lug. If borrowed I will obviously pay shipping both ways. Any chance?

Curryman

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2017
  2. curryman

curryman Active Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Sorry Moderator. Keep up the good work.

Curryman

3. GearBolt

GearBolt Active Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Just buy one. You also need a impact.

4. rjhyland

rjhyland Active Member

Dec 31, 2016
    With the barrel nut a hair dryer and a wrench broke mine free.

5. curryman

curryman Active Member

Sep 10, 2004
    What size?

6. BlakeHanson

BlakeHanson Well-Known Member

May 31, 2015
    Before you screw it up with a pipe-wrench:rolleyes:, let me give you my wrench. It doesn't require an impact wrench but does require 2 people and a cheater-pipe. It's not great but it will work. I'm not going to ever need it again. All the recent ones have 6 lugs and this one has 4.
    If you're not in Canadao_O, PM me your address and I'll send it free.
    IMG_2464.JPG

rjhyland and haugrdr like this.
  7. rjhyland

rjhyland Active Member

Dec 31, 2016
    I bought the barrel nut removal tool. I heated my barrel nut with a hair dryer and with a large size socket wrench that fits into the removal tool and a 12 or 14 inch inch wrench used as a cheater on the socket wrench I was able to break it free.

It looks like your already taken care of. Good luck and that was damn nice of Blake.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  8. curryman

curryman Active Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Thanks a bunch. If anyone else needs it I'll pass it on.

Curryman

9. curryman

curryman Active Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Got it today, thanks again. I'll use it this weekend and pass it on to the next person who needs it.

Curry

BlakeHanson likes this.
  10. BlakeHanson

May 31, 2015
    So, did it work?

11. curryman

curryman Active Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Not really. I'm going to weld a 1/2" socket to it so I can use an impact wrench on it.

Curry

12. Mattitude

Mattitude Member

Nov 23, 2015
    central NC
    Curry, do you still have the tool? If so I'm in need of it to facilitate swapping out my factory nut for a choke adapter. Please let me know.

13. curryman

curryman Active Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Sure do. PM me your address and I'll mail it to you this week.

14. BlakeHanson

May 31, 2015
    Tada!!!
    Matt: You're going to love what a choke can do for the KSG.

It opens whole new worlds up!
    There's no need for a 5-foot long shotgun anymore.
    I went overboard on my first tube thinking the short barrel would need a lot of help and got an "extra-full".
    I walked a milk-jug out past 40 yards with birdshot:eek:!
    Just remember not to shoot slugs with anything tighter than modified, it opens them up.

15. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Years ago the NRA American Rifleman Dope Bag technical staff did a study on what effect barrel length had on shotgun performance.

They got a Marlin bolt action Goose Gun with a 36 inch barrel.
    They began cutting the barrel down in one inch increments and mounting a choke tube.
    Then they fired the gun for pattern and velocity.
    They continued cutting the barrel down one inch at a time and re-mounting the choke until they were down to 12 inches.

What they found was........
    1. Barrel length has no effect at all on patterns.
    An 18 inch barrel will pattern just as well as a 36 inch barrel.
    It's the choke that determines the pattern, not the barrel length.

2. There was little difference in velocity in barrels from 18 inches to 28 inches.
    In fact, when the barrel gets over about 28 inches velocity began to drop due to friction.

3. The idea that a longer barrel shoots farther or "harder" is a left over from black powder days when longer barrels burned the black powder more efficiently.

4. Anything that's going to happen in a shotgun barrel balistically happens within 18 inches.

5. Things didn't "get out of hand" until the barrel was down to around 12 inches.

6. The only real advantage to a longer barrel is that it points better due to the longer sighting radius and makes it easier to high high flying birds.
    On the other hand a short barrel is better for close range hunting of birds like quail.

Their bottom line was that you don't need a 25 to 28 inch shotgun barrel to get good results of pattern or range.
    An 18 to 20 inch barrel with a choke will give the same results as a longer barrel with the same choke.

guru2sum, 850sub and BlakeHanson like this.
  16. Mattitude

Mattitude Member

Nov 23, 2015
    central NC
    This is my 2nd KSG (someone wanted my first one reeeaaallllly bad...and seriously paid up for it) but is the first time that I'll be able to customize it the way I want it, or basically as much as I can afford. I got my first one right when the gen. 2's were coming out and there really wasn't much on the market yet for upgrades other than a longer top rail w/shell holders. Now to have actual choke options really opens up the platform to make it more versatile and practical for different applications. As for slug shooting, unless there is a better option for recoil absorption (how is the factory extended butt pad??) I'm keeping slugs to a minimum as my shoulder disability can't take much of it.

17. BlakeHanson

May 31, 2015
    OMG! emo12.gif
    It's like you're saying the Emperor's naked!:eek:
    Unfortunately for traditional shooters, it's the truth.:(
    For us::spot:
    @Matt: One word- LimbSaver.
    If it wasn't a winner, Walmart wouldn't be selling it lol.gif .
    Doubles the amount of shooting fun you can have with a KSG.
    Your shoulder will thank you. Looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    About $18.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Bigwooly1 likes this.
  18. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2017
    I bought the Kel-Tec factory extended butt pad when I bought the gun.
    It seems to work very well and looks better then the slip-over.

I haven't tried the slip-over Limbsaver, but Limbsaver is widely considered to be the best recoil pad of them all.

Price-wise you could start with the Limbsaver and try the factory extended pad later.

If you want to shoot slugs, consider the hard to find Aguila Mini-shells.
    These have low recoil and would be great for practice.
    I'm not sure I'd trust them for "business".

19. SixPackABS

SixPackABS Active Member

Jan 22, 2018
    This cutey is mine. And yes the limbsaver makes a lot of difference in recoil.

Bigwooly1 and BlakeHanson like this.
  20. Mattitude

Mattitude Member

Nov 23, 2015
    central NC
    My KSG will cycle the mini slugs about 80-90% of the time with most of the malfunctions being failure to chamber and I had 1 or 2 failure to extract leading to a double feed type of situation. I'm not a big slug shooter to begin with (when I had my Benelli M4 it was a different story, that's one super comfortable gun to shoot) and since birdshot is cheap enough I mainly run that stuff through her. I'd actually like to try and take it turkey hunting, so a choke will determine if that will be possible after patterning it. The big thing about the Limbsaver is that it looks like it would have some interference with a rear sling attachment and possibly with a kydex cheek piece. Lastly, how is that metal lower rail? Are they really needed if using a vertical grip, or is it just something "nice to have?"