Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I already put my choke on. I want to get extended barrel to reach out further. It would make the ks7 like a mossberg. Good 18 inch barrel but you can switch to 28 inch for field fun. Maybe even clays. That kind if flexibility would make me think if getting rid of my ksg.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I figured in would give it a go. Hi tech has a ksg barrel extension. I purchased the 7.5. It came in today and yes the mag cap needed a bit more modification (filling) than the chole adaptor. Not much.
Now I have a sweet ks7 with 18.5 inch barrel and a 26 inch barrel. Dam this is going to be fun.
Here it is below next to my mossberg 500. The 500 shown has a shorter stock to give 13.5 inch length of pull. The ks7 has the kel tec extended but pad and choke adapter installed. The ks7 still comes in shorter. NICE!!!

20200220_214526.jpg

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back from the range. Way too.mich fun
The more inshootbthis inw the.beeter I like it. Now that I have extended barrel o was still blowing milk jugs apart at 45 yards with wally world federal field loads.

Mine started getting a bit sticky with follower and first round.

I want it to be super smooth like ksg.

Looks like bore mop are next

This will definitely be replacing my mossberg 500.

Especially when I can have a 26 inch barrel still shorter than standard mossberg 500.
If I can get loading as smooth as my ksg then it may go on chopping block.
Thumbs up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That thing looks really nicely proportioned with that 7 inch extension on. I just wonder if it is possible for the extension to not totally line up true with the main barrel and cause problems long term. The mechanical engineer in me worries about having a threaded connnection like that in what is still a relatively high pressure area over the long haul. Looks awesome, I wish Kel Tec would make 20 and 24 inch one-piece barrels for the KS7.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well I figured in would give it a go. Hi tech has a ksg barrel extension. I purchased the 7.5. It came in today and yes the mag cap needed a bit more modification (filling) than the chole adaptor. Not much.
Now I have a sweet ks7 with 18.5 inch barrel and a 26 inch barrel. Dam this is going to be fun.
Here it is below next to my mossberg 500. The 500 shown has a shorter stock to give 13.5 inch length of pull. The ks7 has the kel tec extended but pad and choke adapter installed. The ks7 still comes in shorter. NICE!!!

View attachment 46512

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you please explain about the mag cap needing a bit more modification (filling)than than the chole adapt. Not quite sure what that means or entails. Thanks

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. It requires a tiny bit more filling to the mag tube cap. The cap still functions as it should with no I'll affect. I filled just enough extra to allow barrel to thread on.
The.mag cap is intact but that small section of cap wall is thin. It still seems to be doing its job

20200422_150019.jpg

20200422_150057.jpg

20200422_145944.jpg

20200422_145853.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I couldn't be happier. It's a well rounded shot gun now. Mine also cycles all mni shells with no issue. Now I just need to get time to run out to desert to see how accurate OEM sights are. I might be odd but I like the carry handle. If the sights don't work out then I have several ideas that would be minor mod to get them where I want them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes. It requires a tiny bit more filling to the mag tube cap. The cap still functions as it should with no I'll affect. I filled just enough extra to allow barrel to thread on.
The.mag cap is intact but that small section of cap wall is thin. It still seems to be doing its job

Much appreciated, I guess I didn't realize how thin the cap wall was. It makes sense to me now that you showed me the photos and mentioned it. I would be the dummy that filled it down to nothing for the barrel to be able to thread onto. So I really appreciated the reply and photos. On a side note have you been able to find the magazine tube extension Keltec Keltec was showing at one of their demos for the KS7 I was at their website and couldn't find it. Thanks again

View attachment 47984

View attachment 47988

View attachment 47992

View attachment 47996

·
Registered
30 Posts
I couldn't be happier. It's a well rounded shot gun now. Mine also cycles all mni shells with no issue. Now I just need to get time to run out to desert to see how accurate OEM sights are. I might be odd but I like the carry handle. If the sights don't work out then I have several ideas that would be minor mod to get them where I want them.
What do you have in mind for modding?

Also, swapping barrels would be a pain. Loctite or Rockset everytime would be a disaster.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Also, swapping barrels would be a pain. Loctite or Rockset everytime would be a disaster.
If you were ONLY swapping the main barrel part? Yeah.

But if you get another one of the front barrel plates and those bits that are usually attached to the barrel itself it becomes nothing more than a partial field strip.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I have never used loc tite on my choke adapter. No need to. Same with barrel extension. One wrench and you dont have to white knuckle torgue it down. I think its only 40 lbs recommended torgue. That's for Choke and barrel adapter. I have never had either one loosen.

You don't have to remove anything other than the choke adapter put it on barrel extension and the screw barre extension on existing barrel and visa versa.

It gives the ks7 great versitility. 18.5 barrel standard HD shotgun then a 26 inch hunting barrel as needed. Not the absolute perfect length for hunting but it's a compromise. Pus it's field expedient as needed.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts