KS7 Range Reports

Discussion in 'KS7 Bullpup Shotgun' started by MarkB1, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Andrae

Andrae Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Took it out again today. Fired 50 low-recoil target shells. 1 light primer strike. Otherwise, awesome run. I really like the MCarbo trigger and springs. My laser also flew off because I forgot to switch out the factory tension bar (it's a glock one but it also brings a picatinny attachment), so I'll have to try it out next time.

Leviathan58651 likes this.
  2. Andrae

Andrae Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Went out again today. 50 more target shells. No issues. The laser held this time as well.

3. ChicagoKel-Tec

ChicagoKel-Tec Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Chicago
    Went to the range for the first time today with my KS7. This is not only my first shotgun, but the first time ever firing a shotgun. I had a blast. I shot half a box of 2 3/4 reduced recoil Winchester- no issues. A half box of 2 3/4 reduced recoil Fiocchi - no issues. I wanted to try the Aguila mini shells but everywhere is sold out. So, I ended up buying Challenger mini shells. I fired 140 mini shells. They are a lot of fun. I did have some issues though. I think I had four failures to feed - on at least one, the shell completely flipped 180. I also had at least one failure to eject. Could have been user error. I will stick with the reduced recoil shells for home defense until I figure this out. I also learned I'm a crappy shot. I'm using the carry handle sight and cant even see the rear sight. My eyes clearly are not as sharp as they were 30 years ago in the army. I find firing with glasses on a little challenging. Practice practice practice.

4. WolfWings

WolfWings Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2020
    Kansas City
    Look into the red dot on the carry handle thread, the "AR carry handle" mount kits can be easily adapted to work on the stock carry handle and you can still use the carry-handle sight.

ChicagoKel-Tec likes this.
  5. terry_tr6

terry_tr6 Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2015
    grant valkaria, Fla
    make it into a ghost ring sight!

Attached Files:

ChicagoKel-Tec likes this.
  6. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Maybe it's just me but I can't get my face down far enough to use the carry handle sights at all.

Since the shotgun is intended to be fired by "pointing" the gun the sights aren't absolutely necessary but I like to use iron sights as a "flash" sight picture.

7. terry_tr6

Jan 28, 2015
    grant valkaria, Fla
    had a bit of the same issue but when i made an extended recoil pad I formed it so it allowed me to mount the butt higher (and my head a bit more erect) and shazam! things lined up!

8. WolfWings

Feb 19, 2020
    Kansas City
    Main reason I went with a 'both eyes open' scout-rifle style red dot sight honestly. Encourages and reinforces the 'point and shoot' shotgun style and trains the muscle memory.

9. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

[email protected] yahoo.com Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2020
    Exactly right. It helps a lot. As you know I did the carry handle dot mount. Line of sight is about 2” higher than carry handle sight. Now when I raise the gun and plant the butt into my shoulder the dot is right there in front of me. I don’t have to move my head to line up it’s just right there. Yes both eyes open. So quick and easy.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
  10. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    Not just you. Me too.

I wound up putting the KT rail on it and built that up with one thin(est) riser and now it wears a MRO optic.

Range report. I don't see any shotgun as anything more than a short range firearm. At some point I intend to sight it in at 50 yards, but today I just sighted it in at about 2" low at 25 yards and called it good. The sun was too hot and I shrivel. I should be very close at 50 since the sight offset is about 3.5". I was actually fairly surprised. I would make a change in the sight and see the change in the POI. I didn't expect it to be that accurate. Will I fire lots of slugs? Probably not but I'll keep some in inventory. I see it used mostly for close range buckshot. What am I writing? I never want to see it used for buckshot, but it's what I bought it for. I hope it gets as much use with buckshot as it's predecessor did. That would be none except for at the range.

I have a flashlight coming in for it and if that doesn't give me what I want I'll find something that will.

I don't know how many times I've cycled it but it's really nice at this point.

Just something I noticed. I suppose I knew this all along but it's worthy of mention IMO. Not just the KS7, but the normal length KSGs as well I would assume, used for HD they remove the leverage an invader has if they grab the muzzle. Heck, it's so short due to the way it's made, not much longer than a handgun held properly for really close CQB, that it would be almost impossible for it to be grabbed at all. Of course it has much more power than any handgun one would normally use for HD.

Edit: Whoops! Forgot!
    I noticed that I had some black and blue from the last slugs I fired through it. No discomfort, just the color. No discomfort today either. It's been years since I fired a shotgun and my shoulder has forgotten. It'll get back into the groove though.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020
  11. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2020
    Ok, I take back what I said about the KS7 recoil being no big deal, that I was baffled at what all the fuss is about. I had been shooting bird shot target loads at the outdoor range and Fiocci 00 buck nickel plated and the Fiocci low recoil 00 in the indoor range as they don’t allow bird shot unless the gun has a full choke. Well I went to the indoor range again yesterday and decided to try out some slugs to fine-tune the red dot. Holy crap! I bought two boxes of these in the pic below, and 3 boxes of Federal 00 buck, which was great, but I could barely get thru even one box of slugs. It was unpleasant. I get it now. Wow. I don’t plan to use slugs again that’s for sure. They were accurate though, and it’s dialed in pretty good at least.
    0 malfunctions as always. Haven’t looked at my shoulder yet to see if it’s bruised.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
  12. terry_tr6

Jan 28, 2015
    grant valkaria, Fla
    I needed a bit more thickness as well as height to get a good cheek weld so did my own. used a strip of PVC to lengthen the height of the butt and glued it and a piece of black packing foam, the rigid stuff, onto the OEM butt pad and worked great. the foam does a great job of being very solid, but absorbing the recoil impulse while the extra length allows a higher hold on my shoulder. Cost:$0.00, except for cost of Goop glue

Attached Files:

13. dfariswheel

dfariswheel Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2017
    If you really want to use slugs, look for low recoil shells or buy the mini-shell 1 3/4 inch slugs as sold by Aguila and Federal.

Note that these may or may NOT work in the Kel-Tec guns and almost never work in any other brand or type shotgun.

14. terry_tr6

Jan 28, 2015
    grant valkaria, Fla
    I will say that the early KS7's had issues with feeding(and loading) gut it was with all kinds of shells. Mine would sometimes empty the whole tube of full size shells on the ground and misfeed the mini's. It would also refuse to let a shell slide into the magazine tube unless you were VERY careful. the former were fixed by 2 trips to keltec where they replaced a bunch of stuff, maybe all of the related parts. the latter was fixed by me breaking the sharp edges at the mouth of the magazine tube. there are threads on doing this. IMHO They should not have released the guns with these issues but they do fix them and once fixed the gun has been reliable with either and both sizes of shells.
    If you want someone new to shooting to enjoy the gun, use mini birdshot shells. stoke it with 2 3/4 slugs and you'll probably get the gun back after the first shot

15. rs_worthington@ yahoo.com

Apr 20, 2020
    Truth.

16. BJK

BJK Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2017
    central Maine
    Unless it's in a shotgun yet to be made, wheeled and crew served, slugs in any gun kick pretty hard. OK, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, maybe they don't out of a heavy semi-auto. I've only ever fired them out of pump guns and at the range they always kicked and got my attention. The KS7 is worse due to the light weight. The key is to pull the gun back into the shoulder and just let it happen. Tense up or anything else and the shot will go wild requiring another. You only want to do that to your shoulder for good shots and not bad ones that need to be repeated.

Just go easy and slow, too many will bring on the bruising, but you'll get over it eventually. IMO it's worth doing so that someday should you need slugs they are available to you without paying dues a day or so later. Today, the country being what it is, if you need slugs you might need a lot of slugs. Hopefully not, but someday you might need that built in recoil pad that's part of your shoulder.

Birdshot is great out of the KS7 for giggles, but unless one is shooting sitting birds, snakes, or some such I don't see much practical use for them in the KS7. IMO the shotgun is designed for serious social use, or 4 legged animals with teeth, maybe deer hunting at archery distances and that, to me anyway, just says buckshot or slugs. Used under those conditions you won't hear the sound of firing or feel the recoil. That part of the mind goes elsewhere. What I'm trying to state is that shooting at the range is always a worse experience, as far as the actual shot being fired, than when it counts.

As I see it, out of the KS7 with it's cylinder bore barrel:
    birdshot = for kicks and practice
    buckshot = relatively close range use, max' 10-15 yds
    slugs = a bit more distance, 25 yards to be sure and maybe further. It would be a very formidable projectile, even the rather sedate 1 3/4" minislugs. (7/8 ounce @ 1250fps and a 3/4"D is nothing I'd want to be hit by and it definitely produces attention getting recoil.).

FWIW, out of my Rem 870 I could get 3" groups @ 100 yds with Rem 2 3/4" slugs.

17. WolfWings

Feb 19, 2020
    Kansas City
    For 'in home' use I'd still trust birdshot simply because you're dealing with 5-yard-and-less range generally, and I'd rather pump extra rounds than risk punching through a wall by mistake. But the instant you leave a building or if you aren't worried about penetration at all, yeah, buckshot, and if any distance or hunting game is involved expect to use slugs.