Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've recently had the pleasure of trying out a few other products from Tanner Machined Products. I'm posting everything in here and while the buttpads are different, they are very similar and the optic mount will fit either gun, with carry handle installed.

Let's start with the buttpads. Here are pics of the buttpads, side by side. Notice that they are nearly identical except for the additional cutouts in the highlighted areas on the KSG pad. The bolt carrier must travel further rearward in the KSG, requiring longer rail sections that extend into the buttpad.

Here is what the KSG and KS7 look like together, with factory buttpads.

Now let's get to the install. I will only be including a picture of the KS7, prior to disassembly, as both guns come apart the same way. Before starting, cock the gun so the slide and bolt stay in place, which makes disassembly/reassembly easier. Simply remove the pictured pin and use your palm to tap and wiggle the stock assembly to remove it from the gun.

Next, you will be using a 2.5mm allen wrench to remove the four screws(5 for the KSG) to separate the stock halves. Be sure to keep an eye on the shell lifter pins as that's what the shell lifter pivots on. They kept falling out on the KSG but stayed put on the KS7. Note the differences in the front section of the stock assemblies. Everything in the rear is essentially the same. Remember that on the KS7, Keltec used a longer screw at the notated location.

Here are both stock assemblies partially and fully taken apart. Just remove the factory buttpad, set the new pad in set the shell lifter on it's pin. Then take the second half, be sure to line up the shell lifter pin and push it together, towards the other half. It's a tight fit, so you may have to push fairly hard. Reinstall screws and it's ready to go back in the gun. Note the additional alignment pins on the KSG assembly.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

To reinstall in gun, I prefer to flip the gun upside down so the shell lifter stays down and can slide past the bolt properly. Once you have the stock assembly reinserted, you can reinstall the rear takedown pin and you are done. Here are pics of both stock assemblies and guns with the upgraded pads.

As per usual, Greg did a great job making these and they fit like a glove. Both parts were shipped quickly and came very well packaged, with all the parts and tools necessary for installation. The anodizing is very well done and the parts not only look great, they feel and function wonderfully. The install is super easy and the Limbsaver pad is so soft and tacky that even the harshest loads are tamed and the gun stays put. If you want the best KSG/KS7 buttpad on the market and want the absolute best in recoil reduction, you owe it to yourself and your shoulder to pick one of these up. I will post a link upon admin approval, but look up the name for his Ebay store.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As for the carry handle optic mount, this one is setup for an RMR pattern optic and like all of Greg's other parts, these are very well machined and anodized. The mount fits the channel in the carry handle perfectly. It only takes one screw to attach and ut went on really easy. There is not much room for the supplied allen wrench, but install still only takes a few minutes. Once the optic and mount are installed, they are rock solid. I can move the carry handle before the optic mount.

I decided to try a new optic type and went with the green reticle Swampfox Kingslayer. It has a 32moa ring and a 3moa dot. It may be a little busy for precision work but is right at home on the KS7. The mounting height is perfect for comfortable use and the optic fit the mount perfectly. The reticle is way more green in real life. I need to get better at taking those pictures. I highly recommend this mount for anyone looking for a quick, comfortable sighting system for either the KS7 or KSG with carry handle.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How did I miss the optic mount on the carry handle. Anything he makes is too notch.
Well, looks like you have something to look forward to. I agree, Greg's products and customer service are both outstanding. I'm probably going to swamp him with other ideas to keep the machines runnning. Haha.

The butt pad is excellent as well as the optic mount. I got one for the Romeo 0.
The gun is big enough that I was ok with a bigger optic. Of course that is relative. I overall prefer smaller optics and have been running Burris Fastfire 3s and similar on rifles for years before it became popular. I love the Romeo Zero footprint but have little time with it so far. I don't like the button placement, but I like everything else. I'm about to buy another for a lever gun, but I was wondering, how is yours holding up?

Thanks for sharing this with great detail and pics. I will be following your lead on my new KS7.
You are very welcome.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How does this compare to the extended buttpad from KT? Great write-up!
I cannot give an honest, accurate opinion of the Keltec extended pad as I don't have first hand experience with them. That said, from other reports, it's of similar density to the stock pad and while it does have more room to deflect under recoil, some are still using a slip on over it.

The only thing I've shot as soft, as the TMP pad setup, is with a slip on of the same make and design type. I hate slip ons with a passion but the material that Limbsaver uses is super cushy and pliable. It's also tacky, to a point, where it really "sticks" to your shoulder. This pad on the KS7 is so nice to shoot with and of course, Greg's adapter makes it the class of the field, in my opinion.

Again, if the Keltec pad is even close to the density of the stock pad, I'm confident that the TMP setup would easily outclass it in felt recoil reduction. Of course the Keltec pad is cheaper, but if you're looking for felt recoil reduction in the first place, might as well get it right the first time. Hope this long-winded response helped.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I found the Kel-Tec optional larger/thicker factory pad to be noticeably softer then the stock factory pad that ships with the gun.
Whether it's as soft or as recoil absorbing as a Limbsaver is questionable.

Making recoil absorbing pads from elastomer polymers is Limbsavers "thing", so I'm guessing it would be better than most anything else.
The only down side is the slip-on pads are ugly.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It is a lot better than the original KT extended pad. I just got their new pad that KT came out with in the mail yesterday. Haven't tried it out yet. I know that my pad adapter is the only setup that I've used so far that has allowed me to shoot a bunch of buckshot, slugs, and birdshot in a day with no bruising or soreness later. You can check out Silverbacks review of it on here too if you want. He's tried out several of the other pad setups out there. So far everyone has loved them. Haven't had any complaints yet about the fit or the performance.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes. The whole thing is rubber now and it isn't wider like the old version. It is closer to the same profile of the stock pad. The pic on their website shows the new version.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes. The whole thing is rubber now and it isn't wider like the old version. It is closer to the same profile of the stock pad. The pic on their website shows the new version.
Could I get you to post side by side of the length dims? Frankly I appreciate the extra landscape to spread the recoil impulse. It not like I'll get it because you're does such a great job, I'm just curious.

By the by I'll be seeing that red dot tomorrow. I'll let you know if it has the elevation to work on it. I'm going to check function of federal shorty shells as well.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Looks to be the same size as the stock pad. Just a little squishier. They are still referring to it as extended. But it's not much thicker than stock.

·
Registered
195 Posts
One thing that kinda worries me is that when you squish it the surface crinkles. Makes me wonder if it will delaminate like faux leather with use and time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts