Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I just got my ks7 and after lurking and reading about it I did a few upgrades prior to firing it.

One of them was the orange follower from hi tech. Install was simple but I immediately had issues. The follower never landed in the same position on an empty tube.

It would stay inside or come out too far and get stuck on one of the ribs on the follower. I emailed hi tech twice but no response.

Anyone have similar issues. Did I install it incorrectly? I am back on the oem follower with no issues.

Any help is appreciated.
PhotoCollage_20200910_083146757.jpg

·
Registered
235 Posts
This is one reason I recommend sticking with the factory white plastic followers.

The new follower is installed correctly, but check to insure the magazine spring end is inside the follower cup and not hanging up on the outer lip of the follower.

This is a case of "if it ain't broke.....".
The plastic followers are entirely adequate, are self lubricating, and actually more visible in bad light.

I've only heard one case of a problem with them and that was sticking in what was probably a defective magazine tube.

Most shotguns have even thinner, lighter followers and about the only time I've ever seen a problem was with the very thin Remington followers in old, very used Police shotguns that were stored in patrol car racks in hot weather.
Those tended to just begin falling apart from age.

I'd recommend a visual inspection of the inside and outside of the mag tube for dents, out of round, or some burring or fouling inside the tube.
Insert the follower and slowly push it down the tube with a cleaning rod to see if you can spot the problem area.
Also look for heavy, gummed up lubricant, or a dry tube that needs some lube.

While it will remove the internal finish and may allow rusting, you could polish the tube out.

Personally, I'd go back to the factory white follower and see if it sticks.
If not, I'd just use it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did clean the tube and visually inspected with a light. The factory follower is also back in with zero issues and a touch of lube.

Still no response from hi tech.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts