Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sir, I wonder if you would be willing to analyze the troll's photos and make a forensic assessment as to whether those photos indicate that the weapon in question was abused.
Working from photos, especially those that are so large as to make it difficult to see exactly what I'm seeing and not seeing the whole part is difficult.
What I can see appears to be a cracked weld on the bolt carrier, but how that got bent upward in normal operation is hard to figure.
Unless the bolt was jammed forward somehow and the user tried to muscle it open, I'd think the carrier would just continue cracking until it eventually separated completely.
The carrier and rails are well enough supported in the receiver I don't see how it could bend like that in an assembled gun.

In the photos I'm seeing a lot of dent damage on the carrier rail that looks like repeated hammer blows.
I've never seen that kind of denting on a weld bead.
Without further evidence my guess would be an attempt to hammer the carrier for some reason and caused the weld to stress crack and bend.
Why it would be thought that hammering on the carrier would solve something is an unknown, but never underestimate owner misadventures.

Bottom line..... I can see a poorly done factory weld cracking and allowing the rail to begin to separate, but this doesn't explain the upward bend of the carrier plate.
Lacking being able to examine the gun and other information I'd put this down to owner abuse and I'd bet that if the gun was sent in to Kel-Tec that's what they'd find.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Working from photos, especially those that are so large as to make it difficult to see exactly what I'm seeing and not seeing the whole part is difficult.
What I can see appears to be a cracked weld on the bolt carrier, but how that got bent upward in normal operation is hard to figure.
Unless the bolt was jammed forward somehow and the user tried to muscle it open, I'd think the carrier would just continue cracking until it eventually separated completely.
The carrier and rails are well enough supported in the receiver I don't see how it could bend like that in an assembled gun.

In the photos I'm seeing a lot of dent damage on the carrier rail that looks like repeated hammer blows.
I've never seen that kind of denting on a weld bead.
Without further evidence my guess would be an attempt to hammer the carrier for some reason and caused the weld to stress crack and bend.
Why it would be thought that hammering on the carrier would solve something is an unknown, but never underestimate owner misadventures.

Bottom line..... I can see a poorly done factory weld cracking and allowing the rail to begin to separate, but this doesn't explain the upward bend of the carrier plate.
Lacking being able to examine the gun and other information I'd put this down to owner abuse and I'd bet that if the gun was sent in to Kel-Tec that's what they'd find.
I am a professional welder and those welds are not even bad.

·
Registered
613 Posts
The posted pictures are no kind of deliberate weld peening.
It's very random and not in the right area, being underneath the weld bead on the other side of the rail.

My best guess is that someone, for some reason, just beat on the carrier rail, cracked it and bent the rail and plate upward.
To bend that shape of steel rail would require more force then operating a stuck action, even if the rail was free to bend while assembled.

As I predicted, this didn't end well for ML45.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

just posting a KS7 pic to override banned guy's KSG pic I see using KTOG app. IMO, my KS7 good enough I will employ in HD role. I'd like to address loading shells into mag tube, squarer crimped shells tend to snag feed lips, but I will smooth those or contact KT for potential send back and hopefully get a boat load of "upgraded" parts. Folded over (not crimped) rounds tend to feed easily.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
My vision for the role of the KS7 is exactly the same as yours... HD. I'd be willing to bet most folks see it that way. It's certainly not a typical bird or upland game gun. For that role most folks would want a shotgun that will swing through better than a bullpup and by that I mean have muzzle mass to help prevent lack of follow through. That means a long long gun for most folks. But I'd like to see it taken to a skeet range to see how it works there just for giggles. I need to check youtube.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Charlie Bravo........ A sometime problem with the KS7 is a slight burr on the end of the magazine tube that causes problems loading some shells.
The fix is to remove the burr using sand cloth or other abrasives.
There's a thread somewhere here about that and the ways to fix it.
My method was to disassemble the gun, wrap some fine wet or dry sand cloth around a dowel rod and working from the rear of the receiver lightly break that sharp edge.

I think where the KS7 shines is as a Real World home defense gun or trail gun, especially in bear country.
It makes a real fun gun for the range, and "could" be a hunting gun.
With a accessory choke and scope it might make a great turkey gun.

Of the pump action bullpup shotguns, I think the KS7 is going to be the standard, with most of the others eventually failing in the market.
This is due to the higher price, and design issues others have.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
OK, I had time to check out youtube. I include KSG "skeet" videos.

One question... Why do cell phone "videograpghers" hold their cell phones to give screwy vertical videos?

Clay birds:

"Birds" with the KSG:

So it can be a bird gun, but it wouldn't be my first choice. However, the cylinder choke would be deadly on upland game within the proper range for pattern density. For the uses dfariswheel suggests, well, he's right about those IMO. It would probably make a decent slug gun for deer if a rifled choke is on the end of the gun. I have yet to test that, I just haven't gotten to it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
A main attraction of a shotgun is how adaptable it is..... with changes it can be used for almost any shooting purpose.
A bullpup would not be the best choice as a bird or clay gun because of the longer "sight" radius and "point-ability" of the standard shotgun.

But, add a sight of some sort and select proper ammo and a KS7 would be a good deer gun, probably a good turkey gun, and just as-is would serve to keep bears and 2 legged predators out of your face.
I've suggested to hunters that a KS7 might make a good deer gun, especially in a deer stand, and they thought it wouldn't be accurate enough, until I informed them that the gun has the same 18 1/2 inch barrel as their standard shotgun.

Choose the right tool for the job, which is why golfers have a bag full of clubs.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts