Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I first picked up the KS7 off the rack in the store I didn't like the handle, the sight appeared to be useless and the grips on the pistol grip and the pump seemed too slick.
But, I liked the general feel and size of the bullpup design, and since my wife is right-handed and I'm left-handed I loved the bottom ejection port.

My sole purpose for the KS7 was home defense. I'm not interested in shooting distance with it. With that in mind, I wanted to set up the KS7 for approximately a 21' range.

For home use, I wanted a flashlight on a solid mount that could be reached easily from the pump and possibly a better sight.
The stock handle had to go. But, in looking at the stock sights I would suggest that if you're keeping the stock sights that you paint the rear sight white so that it is more visible.

I decided to replace the stock handle with the Kel-Tek rail and heat sink. The instructions suggested taking down the weapon to install the heat shield. I was able to do it without taking down the gun. I was able to get it close enough and then seated it with a rubber mallet. It snapped to place with little difficulty. The rail as expected just bolted down with no issue. I did use thread-lock on all bolts

I added a Flashlight - Trinity 1000lumen LED (for Remington pump 12ga) that I found on Amazon - on a 45degree mount so that I could easily reach it with my right thumb. The beam can be zoomed.

I added a Crimson Trace Red Dot on the rail. This probably was not needed for my desired purpose but it's on and we'll see how I like it.

After reading the descriptions of the recoil I also added the Kel-Tec beefier butt pad.

The CDS pre-cut grip tape (Amazon) cured the feel of the pistol grip and the pump. A gently used heat gun help form the tape to the contours and detail for the gun.

And here it is all put together.
Now to decide on a cartridge holder. I'm open to suggestions.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Please let us know how the light works out. Does it have a momentary switch? Or is your plan to turn it on and leave it on?

As you know we build our firearms to suit ourselves and that's only right. I'm going to approach the ammo carrier from my perspective which may or may not work for you. But the basis I use has worked fr me for years in competition.

I don't have a huge need for shell carriers and like most things "firearms" I have prejudices built up over the decades. I'm not a huge fan of on the gun mounted shell carriers. IMO they turn a svelte and nimble gun into an anchor.

I would need to try it but something like this might be a solution that I could work with.
https://www.amazon.com/LIVIQILY-Tac...=12+gauge+shell+holder&qid=1602334365&sr=8-47
It's pictured as flipping open. But it also appears to be able to push the shells through for snatching them out of the loops. But again, I'd need to test it. It would reside on a GI web belt for wear no matter what I'm wearing. I use a similar arrangement in competition with a PCC, and while the ammo load is different I've never had a problem with a separate belt that I can remove and don as needed.

My competition gun uses the theory of "No one ever complained about having too much ammo.". There I use a biggest magazine I can get just in case. But the KS& has a built in mag tube (and I want to keep it that length) so that solution isn't possible IMO. My present solution are the short shells made by Aguila and other manufacturers and a pocket or pouch if I must have more than a magazine full. I don't miss very much and even less with a shotgun but the Aguila 1 3/4" shells turn the 7 round mag' of the KS7 into an 11 round mag' and the recoil is reduced. OK, so at the moment they can't be found. My solution to that is to make my own. Mine are 2" shells and that reduces the mag' capacity to 10 rounds. But they also solve a potential problem I had with the Aguila. In testing I had one flip end for end. That's a malfunction that will definitely put the KS7 out of action. In a time of stress and stroking the gun if something can go wrong it will so it's best to not allow it to happen at all. The 2" shells can't have that happen because of the added length. Mine are also reduced recoil. Oh, and unlike the Aguila there is no shortage of my home rolled shells. It's just dependent on the time I want to put into it.
https://www.thektog.org/threads/making-my-own-short-shells.274930/

·
Registered
232 Posts
As I often tell people, you have to set up an actual defense gun according to the MOST likely situation in which you'd need it.

If you're planning on going through Falluga with the Marines, or a biker gang is going to stage a mass armed assault on your home, lots of ammo storage is critical.

In the "average" home defense situation you'll likely see your way through with what's in the magazine tube.
Yes, there are non-average things that happen like extended gun fights when things really go wrong, but setting up for the biker gang when most situations are corrected with one or two rounds is going to make your gun LESS fast in action and LESS effective in stopping things cold.

This comes down to the "Real World" cost-benefit analysis of the MOST likely situation you'd face, what accessories will help you meet it, and what will only slow the gun down in use.
Everybody wants more ammo, but that may well not be the correct answer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Please let us know how the light works out. Does it have a momentary switch? Or is your plan to turn it on and leave it on?

.274930/
The light has a hard-on/ hard-off. It has a soft touch for strobe and SOS. So it seems it would be difficult to activate them by accident.
My thoughts were to switch it on with a collimated beam and leave it on. Not sure yet if I'd use it on wide beam. Gonna have to play with it and get to the range with it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
The light has a hard-on/ hard-off. It has a soft touch for strobe and SOS. So it seems it would be difficult to activate them by accident.
My thoughts were to switch it on with a collimated beam and leave it on. Not sure yet if I'd use it on wide beam. Gonna have to play with it and get to the range with it.
I wasn't thinking so much about activating it by accident but giving your position away just in case it needs to be used against 2 legged vermin, you don't want to give a warning of your approach so that they can prepare. But even momentary strobe would work as a last check for foe/friendly/aiming spot.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I like the way you set up the grips, the red dot and butt pad.......but personally that hunker of a light is just too big for a bullpup (to me)......just saying, and myself, I wouldn't add a cartridge holder......but, set it up the way you want and don't worry about people like me...lol. I keep a bandolier on my bed post right by my shotgun for the possibility of Antifa making a house call in our neighborhood. Depending on where you live and what you may expect may happen should make up your mind on extra ammo. Red Dots work well for home defense on bullpups, I have them on four of mine, and three more on 500/870.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the way you set up the grips, the red dot and butt pad.......but personally that hunker of a light is just too big for a bullpup (to me)......just saying, and myself, I wouldn't add a cartridge holder......but, set it up the way you want and don't worry about people like me...lol. I keep a bandolier on my bed post right by my shotgun for the possibility of Antifa making a house call in our neighborhood. Depending on where you live and what you may expect may happen should make up your mind on extra ammo. Red Dots work well for home defense on bullpups, I have them on four of mine, and three more on 500/870.
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. I'm new to shotguns and trying to use a fast learning curve to get up to speed while trying to set the gun up to be as practical as possible.

I won't disagree on the light but the hard part was deciding on dependability. Too many lights had reports of short life spans. This seemed to be a bit heavier duty.

I'm not sure how big the concerns should be regarding Antifa House calls but I certainly didn't like what I saw this summer with their antics. I no longer felt comfortable with just a handgun. I'm also used to having extra mags around with the 1911. I'll find a solution to the extra shot question, perhaps a bandolier or similar type of holder. I agree the bullpup design makes it difficult for a cartridge holder especially since I'm a lefty and my wife is a righty.

154 Posts
I haven’t shot them yet but they dry cycle fine. Until I get to the range and shoot some to verify reliability, mine is still loaded with 2-3/4” 00 buck at home. I’ll let you know. Any experts wanna chime in on this question: if ammo dry cycles well is there a high chance they’ll cycle properly when actually fired?

154 Posts
KSG25 FTW. :)
yeah this is just me, but the KSG25 is long. Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of having a bullpup? I mean it seems to me the reason to want a bullpup is being short and maneuverable in the house’s rooms and hallways? And it seems there’s better choices for hunting. So I don’t completely get it. In terms of it as an actual tool.

·
Registered
276 Posts
yeah this is just me, but the KSG25 is long. Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of having a bullpup? I mean it seems to me the reason to want a bullpup is being short and maneuverable in the house’s rooms and hallways? And it seems there’s better choices for hunting. So I don’t completely get it. In terms of it as an actual tool.

It's about the same size as a Mossberg 500 with a 20" barrel.

Barrel on the KSG25 is 30.5" long. Overall length is 38".

·
Registered
276 Posts
Frankly though it is not the first shotgun I will grab for a home invasion or something. I envision it more as a SHTF weapon. In reality it's probably just a range toy. ;-)

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had a malfunction with my (emphasis on the "my") KS7, but it could have been the way I cycled the action. The 1 3/4" shell reversed ends inside the action of the shotgun. I figured if I did that under test conditions I could do it in dire circumstances so stopped with those shells. But test them in your gun with you at the controls. That, plus the shortage of them prompted me to start building my own 2" reduced recoil shells. I have yet to have any problems with them and mag capacity is 10.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Whether cycling dummy shells or even live rounds through a gun may indicate an obvious feed or extraction-ejection problem, but it's ONLY an indication and won't give a definitive reliability answer.

Actually firing a gun is the only real proof positive of function. Some guns work perfectly until fired, and others seem to have problems that disappear when fired.
Only actually shooting a gun is going to verify function.

As for the various mini-shells, "most" Kel-Tec shotguns shoot them well, some absolutely don't, and many fall in between and require shooting a good number to detect whether it's good to go or something that could get you killed.

All you can do with any gun and the Kel-Tec's with mini shells is to shoot as many as you can get/afford until you personally are satisfied that you can trust the gun and the shells.

Since no current shotgun was designed specifically for reliable operation with anything but standard 2 3/4 or 3 inch shells, whether you want to risk your life on the mini shells is up to how well the gun/shells work together and how lucky you feel.

So, it comes down to how many or how few mini shells you fire with NO problems before you feel comfortable using it for serious tasks.
Personally I've reliably fired the Aguila mini shells in my KS7 but I just don't trust them, so as soon as I can find them I'm going with a quality brand of 2 3/4 inch Reduced Recoil buckshot, preferably the Remington Personal Defense Reduced #4 buckshot.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had two mini shells out of a box of 20 manage to get vertically oriented above the lifter. They are physically short enough that it can happen, so that tells me it will happen when you least need it to. Even a tiny bit longer might be enough to make that kind of jam physically impossible. Someone was working on rolling their own 2 inch shells, and that might be the way to go. The ammunition needs to be JUUUUSST long enough it can't flip ends in the loading port/chamber area under any circumstance.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a single shot backpacker, and I like those mini shells for that. you can carry more ammo in the same volume. I just wish one of the makers would come out with a #6 birdshot, for slightly larger game than dove/quail. #6 was the all-purpose, do anything shot size if you could only have one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts