Keyholing?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gotktog, Oct 11, 2008.

1. gotktog

gotktog New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Hey, I rented a P3At the other week, and I noticed that some of the shots looked like they were keyholing on the target at 7 yards. Did a quick search here and didn't see anything, but saw in a ruger forum that there were some complaints of the LCP keyholing - and since the LCP is basically a clone, it would seem logical that it would have reared its head in the P3AT too.

Has anyone had, addressed or heard about this problem in the P3AT? Also would be interested in the same about the P32

2. gotktog

gotktog New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Lol, two words. Thanks :)

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Would that be because it would be in violation of article 23 of the Hague Conevention?

4. remf

remf New Member

Feb 20, 2006
    heh

Barney Frank has no problem with a little keyholing.

5. gotktog

gotktog New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Well from what I've read, they tested that with the 5.45x39 and found that tumbling didn't have an effect one way or another wrt wound channel.

I was thinking more in terms of it being a problem for JHP's or overall accuracy. Towards the end of the 50 rounds I wasn't even sure I was still on the paper with several of my shots (granted it was crowded with holes, but I was shooting at 6x6" clean areas.)

I figure it's just me not being able to handle the recoil. Unfortunately the range doeasn't have a P32 for me to compare with.

From doubloon's link, it looks like an unbacked target was the issue. I went to the range at the end of the day, and I remember the cardboard backer having the middle clean shot out of it.

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Nobody likes a floppy target. ;)

That TxC is a smart feller.

7. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Try shooting into a different type of target maybe cardboard, it may not be the gun or ammo but the paper target . Sometimes the paper has a tendency to rip especially if its thin, it gives the impression its a keyhole. I had that problem and switched to different targets that had heavier paper, no more problems.