Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I didn't read your essay very far. But I have always considered a firearm to be something that can be improved on. The sub2k was no different. I improved it and made it mine. A noob might think it was good to go out of the box. I never thought that. But I also did my research before buying.

Mine has never malfunctioned when fed what it likes and I would trust and use it against a zombie horde. In fact I used it in competition for a few years and the only time It let me down was when I didn't test it enough with alum' cased ammo and in a match it was a jammamatic. The only reason I retired it was because I'm ex military and a gun is either clean or filthy. To get the sub2k really clean requires a major breakdown that it isn't designed for. Hence I retired it. FWIW, I used a soak and flush type cleaner on it. But I never felt good about it. But it did always get the job done.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I am surprised that you found the recoil to be anything but a minor annoyance. I did give up on ever using the iron sights. Mounted a Bushnell Trs-25 on the picatinny rail and have had no problems with accuracy at all. Can't fold it, but why would l want to? If I need it quickly, I don't want to have to rebuild it.
To keep it with you, maybe in a backpack or laptop case, in places where if folks know what you have they might ask you to leave. It doesn't mean a rifle OR a handgun, both would be nice and are easily done. Someone stated years ago that a handgun exists to fight ones way to a rifle. Yeah, that.

I used a micro red dot on a Midwest Ind' mount for years competitively. It never lost zero or caused me any problems. The MCarbo mount would also work fine. Rebuild the gun to use it? Do you mean in a moment of need? It might add 20 seconds if one is really slow to deploy it. But that's what the handgun is for. But I agree, the best solution, not workable for the vast majority, is to walk around with a fully deployed rifle. In that case the sub2k would work, but under those conditions where one had to carry a rifle openly I'd choose another rifle (SBR or AR handgun).

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I use inexpensive lever QR mounts also. But I've gotten burned. One brand had no idea that the camming surface was a circular inclined plane. They made it a simple circle... totally useless.

I stick to UTG now. They're hair more ($) but they know what a camming surface is. I've looked for USA made and can't find any.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts