Keltec SU-16 awesome bipod hack

Discussion in 'SU-16' started by jadesdan, Dec 24, 2016.

1. jadesdan

jadesdan New Member

Oct 6, 2016
    Lowranger likes this.
  2. Percevel

Percevel Active Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Cool Idea.

I ditched my bipod in favor of a metal Red Lion Hand Guard. Maybe If I had kept the fore stock I might have gone with this idea.

3. notavampire

notavampire New Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Great mod. Kel-Tec should get on this, doubt it would cost much more to replace the flimsy stock spring on a mass scale. This little gun can use every advantage it can to make it feel less like a toy.

4. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    I'm gonna have to try this myself.

Sounds like a great hack.

5. jadesdan

jadesdan New Member

Oct 6, 2016
    It doesn't replace the factory spring, but it does make the handguard much more stable both open and closed. If it cost me $11 for an AK spring, I bet KT could get them much cheaper or make thier own for pennies.

6. SDF880

SDF880 Member Supporter

Feb 7, 2011
    Excellent! I'm going to mod mine! Great idea! Thanks!

7. yabiah

yabiah Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Phoenix
    jadesdan FTW!

Well done, sir!
    Will most definitely have to commit to this mod in the new year.

8. SDF880

SDF880 Member Supporter

Feb 7, 2011
    I just cannot get the pin out! Worked on it an hour and gave up! Will try again tomorrow! :confused:

9. imarangemaster

imarangemaster New Member

Jun 5, 2011
    Wow! What a great idea. Need to order an AK spring.

10. Percevel

Percevel Active Member

Sep 25, 2016
    I suspect you are talking about the cross pin on the pivot bolt thing.

Yeah it is hard. If you break something let me know. I will drop into the mail anything you need to replace. I swapped out my fore guard and have no intention of returning it back to stock.

Let me know if I can help out.

11. SDF880

SDF880 Member Supporter

Feb 7, 2011
    Thanks! Yes it is that pin. I got it to slide till one end was in the bolt but no further and I'm trying to be oh so careful not to damage anything. Had to put it off till this coming week-end. Thanks again! :

12. Illuminum3415

Illuminum3415 Member

Aug 24, 2013
    I couldn't get the pivot pin to come out... on either of my SU-16s, all they did was gouge up the indent. Kind of reassuring at the same time... pretty much guarantees I'm not going to lose that pin in the wild

13. Sailortom

Sailortom New Member

May 18, 2011
    Amazing hack. Thank you!!!!

14. angrysnarf

angrysnarf New Member

Nov 29, 2016
    Nice gonna have to order me a spring

15. ramtuckybandit

ramtuckybandit New Member

Feb 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    I'm definitely doing this when I pick up a SU-16A!

16. Sailortom

Sailortom New Member

May 18, 2011
    Just got my spring this week, and perhaps more importantly, I got my SU-16C last week to go with the spring. :)

I'll let y'all know how it turns out for me when I have time to do the install.

17. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Found this one while nosing around the 'net. It's solid wire instead of braided, Chrome Silicon with some kind of bluing or coating. Why wouldn't this one work for the hack?

Only $9.50 with free shipping. I just ordered one and I'll let you know.

https://algdefense.com/ak-high-energy-main-spring.html

Attached Files:

18. ramtuckybandit

ramtuckybandit New Member

Feb 21, 2017
    Minnesota
    I tried it out since I have a couple spare AK hammer springs, and it works pretty well! Though my bipod spring is flimsy and won't stay put, sometimes flying out when opening the bipod. I still prefer the compact fore-end on the Bravo, but am going to use this on an Alpha that will be scoped. Now just need to look into a better bipod spring.

19. haugrdr

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Nope, that spring I ordered came in the other day...great idea, but no go for adapting to this hack.

Notice how many spring coils are in this type of AK hammer spring (which is the spring the OP used)...I count 3 per side.

[​IMG]

Now count the coils on the single strand spring I tried...I count 6 per side, which is MUCH thicker than the first spring.

Capturex.JPG

I tried assembling per the Youtube video...there is no way---no how that all those 6 coils fit in the forearm/bipod like the 3 coil spring fits. Doesn't even come close to fitting unless a lot of plastic is ground or cut away...which I don't want to do.

So, it's back to the drawing board. I'll order the old style multi wire spring like the original hack shows.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  20. langwilliams

langwilliams Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Lorain Ohio
    did you try to see this idea to Kel Tec