KelTec repairs for P3AT

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Tom_the_roofer, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Tom_the_roofer

Tom_the_roofer New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    I bought a P-3AT a month or so ago. It jambed up 50 to 60 times in my 150 rounds. At first I thought it was the break in period then maybe ammo but I trie 7 different types of ammo with no improved results. Well I figured I just got a bad one and sent it back to Kel/tec for repairs or a new gun.

My questions are, How long will this take and what is the possibility of getting a new pistol.

I'm not ragging on the KelTec. I really like the profile. I just need one that works.

Thanks for the help.
    Tom

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the ONLY place to get an answer would be give them a call. they don't mind and are very pleasant

KEL-TEC CNC INDUSTRIES INC
    1475 Cox Road Cocoa FL 32926
    Tel: 321-631-0068
    M-F 8am-4pm EST
    Toll free 1-800-515-9983

However the standard response is 4 to 6 weeks, and they will fix what ever is needed if there is something to fix

and welcome to KTOG

3. Tom- Welcome to KTOG...

Can you give us details?

What type of jams?

Fail to Feed?

Fail to Fire?

Fail to Eject?

Failed on each first round of a new mag?

Failed on each last round ?

Specifics would help diagnose. Alot of "jams" have more to do with the learning curve required to shoot such a light weight autoloader.

4. Tom_the_roofer

Mar 12, 2008
    Thanks for the welcome guys  :)  

Can you give us details?

What type of  jams?

Fail to Feed? Yes

Fail to Fire?  Yes

Fail to Eject? Yes, 2 times the slide could not be moved and I had to field strip the pistol to get the casing out.  

Failed on each first round of a new mag? NO sparatic

Failed on each last round ? No again

I got maybe 2 or 3 full mags out of 150 rounds fired. I was bummed.

Specifics would help diagnose.  Alot of "jams" have more to do with the learning curve required to shoot such a light weight autoloader.

I'm a pretty big boy and this wasn't my first mouse gun. No limp wristing here lol.  There is definately something wrong with this pistol. I brought it back to the gun dealer and he agreed and he sent it back. It's been 3 weeks or more so I just wondered. The P-3AT is definately thinner than my Tomcats.  

Looks like a real cool web site.  I let you know what happens. I here KelTec has great customer survice.

Thanks again for the responses and welcomes.  :cool:
    Tom

5. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Hi Tom,
    I just registered to post (First timer) but have been lurking around here for several months.

My experience is similar to yours. I bought a P-3AT in January and it is back at the factory. FTF, FTE city, almost every 3rd or so magazine. (Made every effort not to limp wrist and tried 4 or 5 brands of ammo)

I bought it because of the great opinions of them expressed in this forum as well as favorable magazine reviews. However, I'm wondering if our experience is really all that isolated anymore. I know these guys make zillions of them and all new products can fail out-of-box, but the guys who work at the local ranges (several in my city) all say they see lots of them giving shooters fits after every gun show and they seldom break-in any better. Most go back to Kel Tec or get put in a drawer. This is just what I hear from the range guys, I only own the one, so I dunno.

Word on the street is that they say 4-6 weeks (I was quoted that) but it's really 8 or more. Again, that's just what I'm hearing, so keep that in mind. I've also worked in manufacturing and know that a company would rather use parts to build new products for profit than to repair ones (as a cost) that have already been bought; if demand for new ones is outrageous, this could be a factor.

I'm sure it's not en vogue to bad mouth Kel Tec here, but I'm really interested in a competitor's product if they can make it reliable (no specific names mentioned). P-3AT will likely be used as a trade-in for that purpose, unless the guys in warranty make a believer out of me - which I hope for. It's a shame, I REALLY REALLY DID want to love it like the folks here do!!! I pocket carried until it went back & now I carry a Bersa in a Thunderwear, less comfy and I miss the small bulge in my pocket already!

This forum as an amazing source of info, IMO. I did the GoldenLoki F & B, and tried a few other things before sending it back. Thanks guys for sharing the wealth of info.

-Moleman

6. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    A few do go into a pocket ;)

And welcome to KTOG as a poster.

7. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Yeah, hopefully mine will in a few more weeks!

8. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    Mine is there now and has been for almost 3 weeks.
    I have been told that it will be 6-8 weeks via the phone and another poster here said he was just told at 8 weeks that it will be another two weeks.
    Don't send it to them unless you have to.
    We bought two a month ago. One broke in OK and the other would not. Both had the same problem in that they would not remove the brass from the barrel about 15% of the time.

9. Tom_the_roofer

Mar 12, 2008
    I just talked to KelTec customer service and they said it is a 6 to 8 week turn around. They also said to rest assured that the pistol will function properly when I get it back. It will be test fired.

They need a ship date and the serial number to check the status of your pistol, I didn't have that on hand when I called so i didn't get the specifics on my pistol but I did hang the phone up with a comphy feeling :)

Tom

10. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Forty percent of initial P-3AT jamming can be fixed by tightening the Buttonhead (Allen screw) on the side with a 2mm hexdriver or Allen wrench (about 30 seconds).

Forty percent of initial P-3AT jamming can be fixed by calling 1-800-515-9983 and having a new extractor, extractor spring and buttonhead mailed free to you (about 4 working days). Oh you do have to install the parts which takes less than 5 minutes.

Forty percent of initial P-3AT jamming can be cured by installing the hooked style finger extensions on your magazines, which dramatically reduces the chances of limpwristing (about one minute to do the second and subsequent magazines).

Forty percent of initial P-3AT failures to feed can be fixed by a good Fluff & Buff (requires some sandpaper an about 20 minutes).

Forty percent of initial P-3AT failures to fire (aka dimple on the primer but no bang) can be cured by pretending you are shooting a revolver. Let the trigger move all the way forward before pulling it again (about 10 minutes of practice).

For the remaining percentage not covered above, it may require an eight week trip to Florida

Wilson – who’s 100% correct, Forty percent of the time ;)

11. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Wilson, the only one of these I hadn't read about on this forum was the buttonhead screw, please explain what it does/how it fixes a problem, if you would. I wish I'd have known about it just to try, but, oh well. Tom's reply that the pistol WILL work is encouraging. If I get a reliable gun that I can stake my life on it going bang, a little inconvenience will be easy to forget.

12. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Not Wilson but the button head (aka Frankenbolt) holds the extractor leaf spring on & doubles as a firing pin stop. If the screw is not tight the extractor may not work properly.

13. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    What RAT76 said and further expounding (because I’ve been left alone with my compute for a few minutes) . . . .

. . . . proper tension on the extractor is an absolute requirement for the extractor to stay hooked on the rim of the cartridge. If the Buttonhead isn’t tight enough to keep the extractor spring in place and well anchored there’s little hope the extractor won’t slip off the cartridge rim. If the Buttonhead can be tighten as little as 1/8th of a turn it can cause repeated failures.

The extractor point should also be sharp as a tack or it is likely damaged. I have also noted several extractor springs few months ago that seemed to have poor flexibility. I had rather have Kel-Tec send me a few inexpensive parts so I can try new replacement parts before giving up one of my P-3ATs for 6-8 weeks. And if those new parts don’t do the job you can always put them in your parts box just incase you need to replace a damage part at sometime in the future, sending the old parts back with the pistol if it must go in for service. Sorry we didn’t give you this info sooner.

Wilson – who’s parts box is legendary :cool:

14. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Don't apologize for not giving me info sooner, when I failed to set-up an account and ask. D'oh! I read several posts daily for a few weeks, even through the archive and thought I'd tried all the common stuff.

I'm not sure that this could have been my entire problem since it would only cause FTE's if I'm thinking this through correctly, unless FTF's can be caused by the unextracted shell which extracts a fraction of a second late or something.

I guess one advantage to my buying a P-3AT, is they apparently make amateur gunsmiths out of their owners ;D

15. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    I posted earlier on another link about what a great and helpful group of people you'll encounter in this forum. Wilson just typifies what I mean by being one of the "best of the best". One of the more gratifying things about buying a Kel-Tec is belonging to this forum.

16. Moleman

Moleman New Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Agree, great info here & a helpful group. I wish all products I bought had a resource like this about them that I could reference at will!