Keltec Quality Control/Service - Frustrated

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by foothills, Jul 22, 2009.

1. foothills

foothills New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    I bought a new P3AT in May after shooting a friend's. Mine had problems right out of the box with a pin backing out and about 20-30% of rounds failing to fire due to light strikes. Tried three different types of ammo and the rounds that did fire had pretty light indentations.

Sent it in to the company -- $35 shipping cost -- they didn't offer to pay it. They've had it over 60 days now and can't give me a status, just, it should be fixed soon, we're running about 8-10 weeks.

Seems to me they should hire a few more people and get these things right to begin with, and/or hire some more people to do the warranty work. I would have rather paid $400 for a gun that worked than $320 (Actually $355 now with the shipping cost) for something I can't use for over two months.

2. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I'm terribly sorry for your frustration. Your wait is overly long in my estimation. Six weeks is about right as a rule (when they are busy), though many get their guns back much earlier.

I wish you had found us earlier. I suspect we could have helped you out. My first guess is that there were bits of plastic or metal filings in the firing pin hole. Generally I take my new KT's completely apart and clean out all the little bits of manufacturing gunk that is left behind. Taking the firing pin out is a very simple matter. A pipe cleaner or small drill bit can be used to clean out the hole in a jiffy.

If the firing pin spring or the firing pin itself was damaged, KT is usually very generous in giving spare parts to its customers. Now that you've found us, if you ever have trouble again please seek help here first. The gang here can often solve most problems faster and much cheeper than sending your pistol back to the mother ship.

I suspect your wait will be worth it in the end. I'm guessing KT will do a nice polish job on the chamber and feed ramp for you, and they'll clean out all the gunk and test fire the pistol for you. It will come back better than brand new. I know you don't want to hear this now, but most believe KT's customer service is second to none.

For a detailed look at what we call a Fluff & Buff, please take a look HERE at GoldenLoki's website. He too is a famed member here.

P.S. Welcome to KTOG!!! :)

3. morganfd9

morganfd9 Guest

$35.00 for shipping :eek:. I sent a p32 back last year for some work, and the shipping was $8.30.
    Normally when you call to check on it they will ask for serial number and they will only tell you if it has been repaired or not. Sorry to hear of your bad luck. Hopefully they will get it lined out and back to you soon,
    Welcome to the forum.

4. foothills

foothills New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Got it back today -- 8.5 weeks. The checksheet said the ramp was polished, "replaced grip and/or mag catch," "replaced internal parts" and test fired.

5. subsonix

subsonix New Member

May 22, 2009
    Great! Glad you have it back.

Let us know how it shoots. (if you can find some ammo, that is)

6. morganfd9

morganfd9 Guest

Wonderful. Let us know how the range trip goes.

7. foothills

foothills New Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Shot it today. Works Great! I still think it took too long but I'm glad they got it right.

8. KaiserSosa

KaiserSosa New Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Kudos for KT standing behind their product.

Glad to hear things are going well.

9. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    6-8 weeks is standard warranty repair. And MUCH quicker than I'd say 80 percent of gun manufacturers.

But they got 'er up and running!

A big +1 to what Checker said.

Oh, and should you ever need to send something, you can box it up yourself, and send "machine parts" via fed-ex or ups of a LOT cheaper than $35.

10. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    FWIIW... Kel-Tec received a peened slide from my J2Rxx on 07/02/2009 and when I called last week to ask about when to expect a replacement I was told 1st week of August. Because of much faster service in the past I was expecting it sooner, but now I'm thinking that they're just really busy. Not a biggy for me as my JPMxx is my carry P3AT and the J2Rxx my mostly practice gun.

Take care...

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Recieved replacement slide today - Thursday August 6th. That amounts to ~ a 5 week turn around. Not a biggy to me as my JPMxx is my primary P3AT carry.

Repair Work Order has "Test fired" checked off as a Service Performed. Do you think Kel-Tec would really bother to test fire a replacement slide?

Take care...