Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that the only way to move the safety mechanism is to have the hammer cocked. The manual states on page 6:

The KSG™ features a cross-bolt safety located behind the trigger on the grip assembly.
When the safety is activated, the cross-bolt blocks the sear from releasing and prevents the
trigger from being pulled. Please note that the safety will not engage unless the hammer is cocked.

This seems to be a little unsafe to me as the only way to engage the safety is with a cocked hammer. I don't have a problem with going from safe to fire with the hammer cocked but it would seem to make a safer weapon if you could always go from fire to safe. If you are firing and you have loaded magazines, you load a round into the chamber and then (since the weapon is cocked) you can go from safe to fire. You then fire the round. Now I cannot place the weapon in safe UNLESS I load another round in the chamber. Now if you are firing multiple rounds, this is not a big deal, but to place the gun down to make it safe you need to have it cocked. Many ranges, when they give the stop firing signal, want the gun on safe and an empty chamber. In this case, unless you fired all your rounds, you can't comply without emptying the magazines and the round in the chamber without pressing down on the magazine catch(es) to unload the magazine (s) and then sliding the forend to eject the round in the loaded chamber. Which is the best way, IMO, to unload the weapon on a stop shooting signal.

Any thoughts on this? Does anyone see this as a problem? Maybe I am just over analyzing this. Obviously, safety is always the responsibility of the shooter. I know that my KelTec PLR16 doesn't work this way. I can engage the safety at all times regardless if I have a round in the chamber.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Many ranges, when they give the stop firing signal, want the gun on safe and an empty chamber.
Slide back to about a half inch shy of full back until the shell ejects, but BEFORE the lifter forks drop down.

Stick chamber flag in if your range requires it.

Slide pump forward.

Safety on.

Your KS* is now chamber empty w/ safety on. :)

Edit: Sat down and worked with with my KS* to verify exactly when the safety can be engaged. The same mechanism that 'ejects' a shell (which happens BEFORE the lifters drop to accommodate loading a single shell directly into the chamber) resets the trigger, which in turn allows the safety to be engaged.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi - I'm a new owner to the KSG, having lusted after one for a year and then finding a brand new black one in my local FL shop during the crazy run on guns the past month. Bought the gun and some ammo, ordered updated pins, angled pump grip and extended butt pad. Going for some range training this week - excited to light this bullpuppy up!

Been watching lots of videos online to learn more about this kick-ass shotgun and some general shotgun training - a really good site for shotgun videos I found is at luckygunner.com/lounge

One video they have is how to store a shotgun in cruiser ready mode. That's fully loaded rounds in the magazine tube, empty chamber, pump forward. Your choice of safety on or off. But then all you have to do is rack a round and you're ready to go. A nice tip - don't load the tubes fully, as long term compression of the springs will reduce their effect.

So from my newbie opinion, the KSG has it right with their sear lock. In cruiser ready mode you can quickly rack a round with safety off and be ready to go, or click off your safety when you pick it up, rack a round and light it up. This will be how I store my gun and lock it down with young kids in the house. Don't forget - you can also rack a round with the safety on with the action bar in front of the trigger.

I'll probably snag a green dot sight this week, as I believe that will help me get on target quicker. Maybe a cheek rest if I chew up the inside of my lip...

Happy to be corrected on anything - but most excited to have found this group and looking forward to years of practice and fun with this bad boy!

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Been watching lots of videos online to learn more about this kick-*** shotgun and some general shotgun training - a really good site for shotgun videos I found is at luckygunner.com/lounge

One video they have is how to store a shotgun in cruiser ready mode. That's fully loaded rounds in the magazine tube, empty chamber, pump forward. Your choice of safety on or off. But then all you have to do is rack a round and you're ready to go. A nice tip - don't load the tubes fully, as long term compression of the springs will reduce their effect.
Welcome to the forum! I picked up a KS7 couple weeks ago and I agree that Luckygunner.com has great content. So far Ive seen almost all their shotgun and ammo videos on YouTube. As of now, I keep mine cruiser ready with two 00s in the mag. I plan to add a side saddle later on with another 00 and least one slug.

Reactions: Scott R.

·
Registered
459 Posts
...don't load the tubes fully, as long term compression of the springs will reduce their effect...
From my perspective Chris overstated the issue. When it comes to pump action tube mags, the risk of a mag spring compression failure to feed is really very low. Keep in mind that 12 ga tubular mag springs are also cheap & they can easily be replaced.

The above said, I do run six 2.75" shells in the tubes of my KSG, although each tube theoretically holds seven; 12 rounds of immediately available #1 Buck FC ought to be sufficient for most reasonably foreseeable situations where a shotgun is the go-to choice, eh?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi - I'm a new owner to the KSG, having lusted after one for a year and then finding a brand new black one in my local FL shop during the crazy run on guns the past month. Bought the gun and some ammo, ordered updated pins, angled pump grip and extended butt pad. Going for some range training this week - excited to light this bullpuppy up!

Been watching lots of videos online to learn more about this kick-*** shotgun and some general shotgun training - a really good site for shotgun videos I found is at luckygunner.com/lounge

So from my newbie opinion, the KSG has it right with their sear lock. In cruiser ready mode you can quickly rack a round with safety off and be ready to go, or click off your safety when you pick it up, rack a round and light it up. This will be how I store my gun and lock it down with young kids in the house. Don't forget - you can also rack a round with the safety on with the action bar in front of the trigger.

I'll probably snag a green dot sight this week, as I believe that will help me get on target quicker. Maybe a cheek rest if I chew up the inside of my lip...

Happy to be corrected on anything - but most excited to have found this group and looking forward to years of practice and fun with this bad boy!
I agree, "Cruiser Ready" is the way to go...Safe way to store as well as be ready to go. Also, when you rack that first round into the chamber, hopefully the sound of that alone will scare them off. I do recommend that you get practice dummy rounds like the 3-Gun guys use, and practice, practice, practice. It is just like dry firing a pistol but the KSG has a lot more going on than a typical 9MM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree, "Cruiser Ready" is the way to go...Safe way to store as well as be ready to go. Also, when you rack that first round into the chamber, hopefully the sound of that alone will scare them off. I do recommend that you get practice dummy rounds like the 3-Gun guys use, and practice, practice, practice. It is just like dry firing a pistol but the KSG has a lot more going on than a typical 9MM.
I'm looking to buy dummy rounds now to practice till my fingers bleed and calluses form... any good links to buy some?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm looking to buy dummy rounds now to practice till my fingers bleed and calluses form... any good links to buy some?
Lost of options. ST Action Pro on Amazon is what I went with but the price has roughly doubled as of late.

Dummy Bullet has more options if you want them, price is higher but they're properly weighted while the STAP's are lighter than real shells.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went with STAPS as well. I was going to go with Azoom Snap Caps but read the anodizing gets chipped and comes off in the reviews. Last thing I need is a bunch of of tiny anodized colored chips and flakes in my chamber and elsewhere inside the gun.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts