Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

KelTec Grease???

1K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  TxCajun 
#1 ·
All still new to me but I'm enjoying the info I'm finding on this site.

I took apart, cleaned and lubed my new p3at earlier today but only used a Remington oil on it. After reading this board I noticed a lot of recommendations for ball bearing grease.

My question is where to find this type grease as I've never really fooled with it before. Is there plenty of the stuff at any local wal-mart, lowes, home depot? or is there specific gun brands out there at gun shops?

sorry for the newbie questions today but I appreciate the help. it will give me something to do tonight :cool:

#2 ·
There are many types of grease that members here have used on the KT guns. I like the Shooter's Choice firearms stuff that comes in a syringe and is available just about anywhere. There are many, many options. The key point is that there are certain spots that need oil, and other spots that need grease. The best tutorial on the KT pistols that I've seen is still the one by Golden Loki:

http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/care2.htm

Good shooting! Best, DT Willy

#3 ·
Some will disagree, but I think gun grease is all about the same. You only need to use is sparingly where metal touches metal. Remember that grease can be messy and attract dust more so than oil like Break Free.

Follow the directions on the link above and you will be ok.

#4 ·
I use Gunslick only because that's what I had in my cleaning kit.  Others use Walmart Slick 50.  Prettty much any grease will do. BUT do not use wheel bearing grease with the fibers in it.  I apply a touch to the slide rails, the hammer/slide interface bar in the bottom of the slide and the where the assembly pin rides in the lug on the botom of the chamber. I spray the rest with Remoil & shake/blow off the excess before I put the grease on.  I also put a drop of the pink stuff that came with the gun on the feed ramp, but I tend to get carried away sometimes.

Yes lube does attract dust but my little guy won't run right if it's too dry and won't wortk at all without a little grease.  It doesn't take long to clean and lube an already clean gun every couple of weeks.

#6 ·
I been using GunSlick for areas that need grease and Hoppes oil for areas that need oil. Take some advice- Don't get caught up with what you will be reading about the "miracle" lubricants. For general shooting as most of us do, any of the namebrand lubricants will work just fine. It is more important that you use the correct TYPE of lubricant in specific areas , not necessarily WHO the manufacturer is or what is it's particular chemistry. Meaning use grease where it is required and oil where it is required.

#10 ·
All I had at home when I got mine was white lithium grease, so that's what went on the slide and hammer interface.  It worked like a champ until I found something more gun specific.  The idea is to lube with SOMETHING!

;)

#11 ·
AS IT HAS BEEN MENTIONED EVERYONE HAS THERE OWN RECIPE SO THOUGHT I WOULD THROW MINE IN THE MIX :D.

SLICK 50 THINNED TO JUST THE RIGHT CONSISTENCE USING MOBIL 1 5w30 :cool:.

I PULL IT UP IN SYRINGE AND PUT A DROP HERE AND THERE WHERE METAL MEETS METAL. I CLEAN ABOUT ONCE A WEEK AS IT CAN GET KINDA FUZZY :(.
TIM

#14 ·
No problem and thanks for responding kindly. That's how we learn. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.