Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't rip into me lol. High point is $200, kel tech is $275 with grips and extra mag. Leaning towards the kel tech for ccw. Any input?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hi point are great range toys, or throw into tacklebox, but I've shot enough of them and seen enough broken ones to not be super keen on staking my life on one in a ccw appropriate situation. On the other hand, there seems to be some bugs that may need worked out on a pf9. The difference being the pf9, if properly cared for, should outlast a hpc9 in the rounds fired department.

I have owned a few different h.p.s, my favorite being a 9 mm carbine which was great, a few of the 9 pistols and one 45. The pistols just seemed to wear out after a while, where everything (extractor, barrel mount, safteys, etc.) was loose and floppy. I never kept one long enough to actually break it, but I did put several hundred rounds through them while they were with me. I just always felt like my luck would be bad enough that when I needed a hp pistol to function, that's when something would break...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Devil_Anse said:
Hi point are great range toys, or throw into tacklebox, but I've shot enough of them and seen enough broken ones to not be super keen on staking my life on one in a ccw appropriate situation. On the other hand, there seems to be some bugs that may need worked out on a pf9. The difference being the pf9, if properly cared for, should outlast a hpc9 in the rounds fired department.

I have owned a few different h.p.s, my favorite being a 9 mm carbine which was great, a few of the 9 pistols and one 45. The pistols just seemed to wear out after a while, where everything (extractor, barrel mount, safteys, etc.) was loose and floppy. I never kept one long enough to actually break it, but I did put several hundred rounds through them while they were with me. I just always felt like my luck would be bad enough that when I needed a hp pistol to function, that's when something would break...
Yeah I hear that a lot that's why I'm leaning towards spending the extra $75 for the kel tech

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
Aren't the Hi Points about the size of a power hand drill? Do you expect to concealed carry something that large?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking for something for practice and hd for a few months then getting a baretta m9 or glock. Just in the meantime. I know the c9 is huge. That's why I'm leaning towards the pf9 for ccw.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My biggest worry is all the problems I have heard with kel tech. Don't want something that will spend more time in the mail then the holster lol

·
Registered
154 Posts
I own both the PF9 and the HP C9, I shoot the HP a lot I believe that I have almost 8000 rds through it and I have never had an issue with the gun. That being said I would not want to try and CC the HP as it is just too heavy. For a range weapon it is great just my 2 cents

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yeah I hear that a lot that's why I'm leaning towards spending the extra $75 for the kel tech
Lol... it depends on his size, I cc'd my s&w 629 (4" .44 mag, n frame) for a while with no problems other than a sore back... but I'm 6'5 and 300 lbs. I could dual carry iwb two hp c9s and not even look different.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Devil_Anse you being an Ohio boy and not supporting your own gun manufacturer whats up with that? Just kidding have a good day. Yep I could CC the C9 and I am 6 foot 190 lbs and I believe that it would be uncomfortable for me.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I love my PF9 and yes you can get one that has some issues but I have had two one went 1600 rds before I had any issues and the current one I have has had no issues and I am at 500 rds and counting. The PF9 is a great gun and they have great customer service as does HP.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hear they don't have a safety. That worries my wife. What safety precautions are on it to insure a accidental shot isn't fired anything?

·
Registered
154 Posts
A five pound trigger. I have carried mine over two years without an incident, they are safe guns even without an external safety.

·
Registered
159 Posts
my first gun was a c9.

It is great for the money as a hd or sd car gun etc.

Not a good Ccw.

If it were only to be used at home I'd go hi-point. Heavier, less recoil, bigger.

For Ccw hands down pf9. The c9 is roughly the same size as a glock 19 yet MUCH heavier.

Also, pf9 is a safe gun to carry hot. The c9 does not have a striker block. There have been no reports of ad from the sear failing but it is a possibility.

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
Aren't the Hi Points about the size of a power hand drill? Do you expect to concealed carry something that large?
Power drill? Nah. But there are lots of jokes about the butt plate on the 10 round C9 mags looking like a battery pack for a drill.

I posted these pics over on the HP forum in a thread about CC w/ the C9 (note: this is with the 8 round mags which are "flush fit" with a pinky grip):

I'll start with the CC. I'm not a "big" man, at 5'5" but, as you can see, the C9 slips into the front pocket of my Wal-Mart jeans no problem with very little printing. It does print a little, but a pocket holster would break that up and not enough that most people would notice it. I don't think I'd like to spend a lot of time walking because the weight would drag at my pants, but other than that, no big deal.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
I'm 5'5" 130 so wouldn't work on me lol
Sure it would. See my post.

The caveat is, while the C9 would work for CC, there are now a lot of other choices which would work better for most people.

It's a little like using a used 1975 Fort F150 for daily commuting. You can do it. Nothing wrong with it per se, but there are better options.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
4,727 Posts
For Ccw hands down pf9. The c9 is roughly the same size as a glock 19 yet MUCH heavier.
"Much" is a subjective statement. The official HP website says the C9 is 29 oz. The Glock 19 is 21 oz. That would make it a mere 8 oz. heavier. Not much. Maybe. Depending on whether or not 8 oz. is "heavier" to you.

There are many differences but I think one of the most stark is the magazine capacity. For that 29 oz, you still only get 8/10 +1 rounds.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
I hear they don't have a safety. That worries my wife. What safety precautions are on it to insure a accidental shot isn't fired anything?
The primary safety is, like any weapon, between your ears. ;) The only way a PF9 will fire is if you pull the long double action trigger. It won't fire if dropped or bumped in any way. I've carried one of mine with just the belt clip for over a year and it's never been a problem.

IMO a manual safety is a terrible idea on any carry gun. Under stress you are more likely to forget to disengage the safety. Just for a example ask your local police department if they carry a gun with a manual safety, I would be willing to bet they don't.

I think the PF9 is one of the best carry guns on the market, if you want to carry go with the PF9. The C9 is an inexpensive "AK47" reliable handgun, if you are looking for a cheap reliable gun that doesn't require much care the C9 is the better choice. Apples and oranges really.

Edit: One more quick thing, I don't think the PF9 is a good gun for a beginner. It can be difficult to shoot and some are prone to "limp wristing". It would be like driving a hot rod as your first car.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts