Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I purchased a used SU-16 and the previous owner had bought and put on the Kel-Tec SU-16 sling that Kel-Tec sells, found here on their website: https://www.keltecweapons.com/product/su16-sling/

I'm left-handed so I'm trying to move the sling over to the other side. The rear sling point is just a simple screw which was easy enough to take out. The front sling point seems to run through where the bipod/forend attaches. I'm not quite certain how to take this part off. I emailed Kel-Tec but they haven't gotten back to me. I was wondering if anyone could take a picture of the instructions that came with the sling and upload them here, or help me out with taking the front sling attachment off. Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
took these pictures of my instruction sheet for ya

Hello all,

I purchased a used SU-16 and the previous owner had bought and put on the Kel-Tec SU-16 sling that Kel-Tec sells, found here on their website: https://www.keltecweapons.com/product/su16-sling/

I'm left-handed so I'm trying to move the sling over to the other side. The rear sling point is just a simple screw which was easy enough to take out. The front sling point seems to run through where the bipod/forend attaches. I'm not quite certain how to take this part off. I emailed Kel-Tec but they haven't gotten back to me. I was wondering if anyone could take a picture of the instructions that came with the sling and upload them here, or help me out with taking the front sling attachment off. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Klbsa-- I switched the sling's sides last night with help from drgliffy's instructions. The instructions are pretty poorly worded; it took me about 20 minutes to figure out what they were telling me to do, 10 minutes to try it their way and then realize that wasn't working. I kind of did it "my own way" and once I figured out how the mechanism worked, it was easy. If you just want to be able to switch between running a sling/not running a sling, it is quick to do after the hassle of initial installation. You would just unscrew the back and front sling attachment screws, take off the sling, and then take the rear bevel off, and put the rear screw back in. The front sling bevel is built in to the forend axis so you don't need to remove that.

Hope that makes sense. It would take you barely any time (maybe a minute or so, by my estimate) to remove/put on the sling; my problem was that I had to switch the sling to the other side, which is a bit more work.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just got done installing the sling kit on my SU16. After all is said and done I'm a bit perplexed as to why KT just doesn't use QD sling studs. Short one for the front, long one for the back. Alas, they are the right size but the wrong thread pattern.

I've half a mind to re-thread the screw holes so I can have a QD sling.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Where did you get that qd mount?
Exactly what I was thinking.
The photo shows the Keltec front sling mount. Below it are the screw in type QD studs. They don't fit the threads so no joy. Typically in the package of studs, the rear stud is a wood screw type, the front stud is a machine screw type as shown. The machine types typically comes with a nut. For the front stud you typically drill a hole in the forearm, insert the stud and then screw on the nut. They also typically come in long or short as shown. I happened to have a couple sets of them, one stainless, one blue. Neither would fit the Keltec mount.

An alternative, at least for the front would be to use a clovis pin of the right size to replace the axis pin, probably 1 1/2 x 5/8" but don't quote me on that. If needed you could then drill out the hole to fit the QD swivel pin. Not sure what size the QD pin is.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Ok I am confused as I havent been able to find a kel tec front sling mount.
I did find something for the compact front handguard.

I am interested in where or how you installed your front qd mount. More detailed pics and description would be nice. If you have the time

Pic of compact qd sling mount below:

Product Auto part Wheel

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Ok I am a dummy! I started reading from your entry and did not scroll up. Lol. This is keltec sling kit. I wish they would describe parts in the kit. The front qd mount is a bonus. I will have to start looking for one of those.

I have already found a rear qd mount for the Charlie stock.

Lol. Real sorry about that. My bad. Lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
Ok I am a dummy! I started reading from your entry and did not scroll up. Lol. This is keltec sling kit. I wish they would describe parts in the kit. The front qd mount is a bonus. I will have to start looking for one of those.

I understand the confusion. As far as I know there isn't a QD mount for the front. The one in the photo is from the Keltec sling kit. It is actually the replacement "axis" pin that holds the handguards on. At one end (as shown) there is a threaded space for a screw that holds the sling swivel on. The QD studs I showed do not fit it. You would have to re-thread the replacement axis pin for the QD studs to fit or replace the whole axis pin with a clovis pin. You likely would have to drill out the hole in the clovis pin to fit the QD sling swivel.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Check your PM

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.