Kel Tec service???

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Bigfootisreal, May 10, 2011.

1. Bigfootisreal

Bigfootisreal New Member

May 10, 2011
    Bought a NIB P-3AT last month, cleaned it and lightly buffed any obvious machining marks or burrs, and went to the range to break it in. No go. Stovepipes after a shot or two. Tried several times and two different brands of ammo. Had my friend (gun store owner and huge Kel Tec fan) shoot it and had the same result. His P-3AT functions very well (for both of us), as does my PF9. We took his apart and swapped out, piece by piece, every "user serviceable" part and tried firing it in an attempt to isolate the problem. No luck. You get 1 or 2 off then it jams.

OK, maybe I got a lemon. I sent it back the next day to Kel Tec and got the signature of the guy who received it. That was over a month ago. I have since tried contacting them twice via their "Contact Us" link on their web page. They send back a message saying they are busy and it will take 2-3 days to get back to me. That was 2 weeks ago and then again last week. My 3rd attempt tonight wasn't as pleasant as I would usually be.

Anyone know what's up with this company? I have heard over and over that while you may have occasional problems with their products, their service is really good. I am beginning to have doubts. If the service department is this backed up, what does that say about quality?

Maybe someone can assure me that my experience is a fluke and that this is a solid company with great products.

Thanks!

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    That's pretty strange. I would think just putting his slide and barrel on your grip/frame would have worked fine. There must be something out of spec with the grip or frame.

Nothing. I says to me that they have way more employees cranking out new guns than working in the service department. For the past few years, P3AT production has been about 1000 per week. The PF9 is probably similar and they make quite a few other guns. What I'm saying is the bulk of their labor is obviously in production.

OK, I'll try... This is a solid company with great products. Seriously, consider your friend's P3AT and your PF9. They represent the extreme majority.

For just exchanging a slide or something, they are pretty quick - maybe a week or so, and they'll send you out free parts in about 3 days. Sometimes they get a little backed up on servicing guns. 4 - 6 weeks is about the norm when you send a gun back - sometimes less, sometimes more. Hopefully when you get it back it will have been worth while.

3. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    call them. works best.

4. Cheap_Shot

Cheap_Shot Member

Mar 18, 2011
    WI
    I called them Tuesday morning and got right through.

I emailed them a question a couple weeks ago asking status of repair parts and got a reply the next day.

Call them.

5. gerry

gerry New Member

Apr 28, 2011
    They received my P3AT on Monday and on Tuesday they sent me an email with a work order number and it said it would be 4-6 weeks. Mine went back with the same problems as yours. First trip to range I couldn't get through 1 mag due to FTE. I tightened extractor screw then I had several FTF on next trip to range.

6. surfrider007

surfrider007 New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    I emailed them last night and they replied this morning, I replied, and they replied again in less than 15 minutes...