Kel Tec P3AT vs Ruger LCP

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Fran49829, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Fran49829

Fran49829 New Member

May 14, 2005
    My wife seems to have made claims to my P3AT so I need another 380. Everything I read says the Ruger LCP is better so I went to check it out.

Kel Tec P3AT wins, Ruger LCP loses, no contest. The Kel Tec feels better in the hand because it has more checkering. The Ruger front sight seems even shorter. The clincher however is the trigger on the Ruger sucks compared to the Kel Tec.

I am going to buy another Kel Tec P3AT.

Fran

2. morganfd9

morganfd9 Guest

Good choice.

I agree with you on the checkering, the p3at is easier to handle. When I first seen this topic I was afraid it would be another great debate, I think I have read to many of those. ;)

3. frankmako

frankmako New Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Chattanooga TN
    i am not sold on the ruger. a co-worker got one last month. i looked it over and for some reason i did not care for it. he has not shot it, so only time will tell. if it gives him any problems he will put it up for sale. i might get me a ruger cheap.

4. cactus_jack

cactus_jack New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    Take a look at the TCP too. I purchased one and like it a lot.

It has a pretty good trigger, last round lock back and is pretty accurate.

5. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I'd take a look at the TCP, Stainless steel construction is a feature the P3AT doesn't have (I wish Kel-Tec would offer it) and a nice to have in humid weather.

Best Regards

6. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    If your trigger finger is phat the LCP and TCP have a lot more room inside the trigger guard.

7. diamond

diamond New Member

Jan 18, 2010
    My little ugly P3AT is not all dressed up in a tux like the LCP.  But I don't really care since it is for concealment, not for showing off.

My little P3AT does not have an almost useless manual slide lock.  But I wish it had a lock back on last round feature.

The P3AT is rated for higher pressure rounds. Ruger says not to use them in the LCP.  I like options and I like looking to the future for ammo improvements in .380acp.

The P3AT's mag pops right out when you press the mag release button. The LCP's mag just sits there in the gun, even if you tip it downward. You have to kind of shake it to get it out, or pull it out.

My P3AT costs $50-75 less than the LCP.  For what?  A better polish and useless manual slide lock?

8. cma_g21

cma_g21 Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Florida
    True.

I wish Kel-Tec would offer replacement grips with a larger trigger guard (but I realize the cost of making new molds makes that very unlikely).

9. BellaBueller

BellaBueller New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    The slide lock is indeed tough to handle, although I have found that by grabbing the slide with a good gorilla grip and pushing up on the slide lick with the center of your thumb (rather than the side) that it works really well; allows me to manually chamber a round without having to put it into the magazine first and reloading it.

The mag release is only like that on new models; it was so stiff at first that I had to press the mag release in before inserting the mag (frustrating). However after 150 rounds down the tube, it falls out when i eject and it glides right in when i insert it :)

10. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Really, REALLY a bad idea. Never place a round manually into the chamber of a semi-auto anything.

Says the same thing on page 10 of your owners manual.

Number 1 is the chances of a ND...(slamfire).

Number 2 is the chances of damaging the extractor.

Very unsafe practice IMO.

11. BellaBueller

BellaBueller New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    http://www.ruger.com/products/_manuals/lcp.pdf

Refer to page 14. Perhaps this is feature that the LCP has over the P-3AT?  :D I only kid. I find it interesting though that Kel-Tec explicitly says not to do this, but Ruger plainly advocates it.

12. :eek:

I found it hard to believe, so I looked it up myself!

From the Ruger LCP online manual page 14

I WOULD NEVER DO THAT, NOR WOULD I SUGGEST THAT  YOU DO IT!

As hog pointed out, danger of slam fire and/or broken extractor.  I would not do it on any semi, not even tough as nails all steel 1911.

13. kev74

kev74 New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    It might not be a good thing to do, but its nice to know you can do it if it were ever necessary.

14. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    That Ruger would put that in a firearm manual just floors me.

Goes against every bit of gun safety I've ever heard.

15. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    is this habit a no-no with all semi-automatic weapons? i see people do it all the time @ the range with self loading rifles, including those with free-floating firing pin like the ak-47 or ar-15. i always thought it was weapon-specific whether it was ok or not.

16. The primary reason that most folks do it is simply so they do not have to"top off" the mag after uploading one into the pipe, and I see it a lot as well. An instructor trainer who has helped me a great deal and whom in respect does it all of the time.

LOOK at an extractor. It is NOT designed to ride over the rim of the cartridge, but for the cartridge to SLIP UNDER. Look at how thin the tip of the extractor is. With those two in mind, why would you want to beat your extractor by making it jump over the back of the cartridge? Why would you risk damaging the extractor and risking a fail to extract issue?

As for the slam fire issue, I see no need to risk it.

17. kev74

kev74 New Member

Jun 10, 2010
    Its hard on the extractor to be shoved over the top of the case rim like that. When a bullet is stripped form a magazine normally, it slides under the extractor, so there aren't the same violent forces involved.

Closing a slide on a live round shouldn't cause a slam fire on its own. If a slam fire were to occur, something else was wrong - either a high primer, protruding firing pin or a big hunk of debris on the breach face.

18. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    The LCP has a different type of extractor than the KT and might be designed to allow the extractor to slip around the cartridge rim without damaging itself like the Beretta 92 can when single loading. However it looks more like a glock extractor which would easily damage from releasing the slide on a chambered round but that is just the external appearance.

I would say slam fires are highly unlikely with pistols like these that have a firing pin return spring and a slam fire would be just a likely as loading from the mag. Rifles use harder primers to negate free floating firing pins but i still wouldn't advise single loading unless something like a 92FS. It is scary to see that ltitle dent on the primmer w/ an ar15 but some swat guys over at ar15.com (i know) have actually experienced dead primers from the practice of loading the same round like 10 times.

19. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    I think that the only situation where that would be appropriate would be in a life/death situation and you have no other way to get a shot off.. In those circumstances, I would be more concerned with getting a shot off than with damaging the extraxtor. Some pistols have a mag disconnect that would prevent firing the weapon without a magazine in it. Just because something can be done doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. For the record, I have never chambered a round that way but I'm glad that it is an option should the emergency need arise.

SteveB

20. Tbag

Tbag New Member

May 22, 2010
    I am surprised that Ruger hasn't found a way to post an entire manual on the side of their weapons.