kel-tec, P3AT fails, again

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mrduke, Oct 12, 2010.

1. mrduke

mrduke New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    I recently got back my p3at after a 9 week wait. It was sent in because of jamming, for the second time, and due to the assembly pin easily coming out. I was happy to have it back, had an expensive box of gold dots waiting. I shoot a few times and it jams, FTF. It was easy to push the slide forward with my thumb, and with all the FTE and problems I've had, I wasn't surprised. It jammed on the first clip after its first trip back from the factory. I am not limpwristing, I have tried many ways of gripping hard. I shoot a .357 snub so its not the problem.

So anyways, shooting after its second trip to KT... the assembly pin pops out and slide falls off. Guide rod vanishes.

I send an email to keltec expressing my frustration.

They reply only to the portion where I discussed the long wait (to lead up to my disappointment about things still not being fixed). I had asked them to just send a guide rod and I'll have it fixed myself at a gunsmith since they did a 2 minute job of replacing some parts on it and supposedly test firing it, which i don't quite believe. They just ignored it basically. Hopefully I get the guide rod, put it back together and somehow fix the assembly pin spring (i did see a post about that on here but that wasn't the only problem so just sent it in).

Then, if it still doesn't work, i'll do what i should have done, get an LCP or taurus.

This gun gets decent reviews, so I know it CAN work. KT just didn't take the time to do mine right. It was purchased 5 years ago, and has constantly been unreliable.

2. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I just like my P3AT,the feel and how light it is and the rough grip.... however if I was having your problems I would not hesitate in getting after kel-tec. Too bad they are not standing behind their warranty. Did you buy it new ?? i think you should call them back and persuade them to replace the firearm. I know there are folks on this site that can guide you thru the process. I tried the LCP and did not like the feel and long trigger pull. Slippery in your hands too. Make sure you try them out real good for the feel before buying one. Good luck.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Call and ask for the service manager.  Explain and see what he can do for you.  I would want a call tag and a promise of expedited service.  PM sent.

It seems like your gun still has a problem, but FWIW, a revolver cannot be limp-wristed so the fact that you can shoot a 357mag has no bearing on that issue. Limp-wristing is not really about having a death grip on the pistol. It is about not letting the recoil/muzzle flip break your wrist thus robbing the slide of the momentum needed to maintain proper timing. Keep you wrist locked and pivot at the elbow.

4. TNWNGR

TNWNGR New Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Quite an interesting chain of event’s to have happen to you while shooting the P3AT; it’s not unheard of for a “lemon” to find its way into the hands of an unsuspecting new owner. But given all of the product improvements that have gone into this pistol I’ll say the odds of such an event are pretty darn small.
    First things first write a detailed letter describing what the specific problems are you’ve encountered with your KT to enclose with it for its return to the factory. Next contact the warranty folks and give them an over view and that you will be returning it for repair. You may ask them to replace it with a new pistol using the same serial number, but they don’t have to do this.
    Once you have the pistol back from the factory set up a range trip, ask another shooter to go with you and shoot your pistol. After they’ve shot it then you shoot it as well and see if anything different happens i.e. FTF, FTE. Also, if you have any friends who own a P3AT ask them if you can fire theirs as well. What you’re doing here is ruling out operator error issues so that you can focus on mechanical issues.
    Any other pistol or revolver you may have shot in the past is not relevant because what you’re now dealing with is a very light weight pistol with a polymer frame. The mechanic’s may be the same and the physics should work out the same way, but the slightest deviation on the operator’s part will now be more noticeable.
    I wish you luck and I’m confident that Kel Tec will make things right by you and correctly repair the pistol. They’ve done right by me in the past and that’s all that I can ask of a company.

5. rdemilt

rdemilt New Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Excellent advice.

6. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    quote: So anyways, shooting after its second trip to KT... the assembly pin pops out and slide falls off. Guide rod vanishes.

I've never heard such! Just can't imagine the assembly pin coming completely out without having to pull on it. And the guide rod vanishing, where?? into the air?? Or where?? Why didn't the spring disappear too?? Just doesn't sound like something that could actually happen.

Sometimes it takes a lot of time to think up something like this!!

og....who never had a P3AT do anything like this (had 5!!) #6 is perfect!!

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Admittedly, the story sounds pretty strange but I usually give folks the benefit of the doubt... for a while. :-/

8. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    I've read here before of the slide coming off and going down-range. I've had assembly pins back out, and if one came completely out there would be nothing to keep the slide from departing company with the frame IMO.

9. mrduke

mrduke New Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Update and question

Well the problem hasn't been fixed; but back when this happened, kel-tec sent me an email with a printable shipping label. I ended up buying an LCP and had to move, so being very busy I then noticed the shipping label expired. Kel-tec had tried to handle the situation, and I don't hold this very bad P3AT against them, despite its 2 trips to the factory. I know they tried, and replaced some parts. I bought a PF-9 recently and it has worked quite well.

They sent me the missing guide rod and springs which disappeared (the slide fell off with an accidental push of my thumb IIRC, guide rod was launched, found the springs only). Quite funny that this is so unique it stirs disbelief. From the great reviews I hear of the P3AT lately, mine is a unique, anomalous pistol indeed.

So to the point of the post: I re- found this thread while searching in the P3AT forum for "assembly pin spring" and couldn't find any relevant details. What I'd like to do is fix the spring which is for certain one of the problems, as its out of place and for some reason the frame is slightly bulging there (i remember reading here of someone fixing this with a hairdryer). I'll have to do a full disassembly and remove the frame pins, but am unsure of how to fix the spring, or whether i need a new one.

10. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    this happened to me.

With the retaining clip in the grip out of place, the assembly pin can walk out during firing. Once fired without the assembly pin, the slide will shoot forward downrange along with the guide rod and springs. The problem stems from the retaining clip in the grip coming unseated from improper assembly pin removal. Downward pressure must be applied to the grip outside the assembly pin while removing it.

Reseating the retaining clip can be as easy as pushing it back down in the grip with a pocketknife and pressing on the grip while reseating the clip.

I know this doesn't help the feed issues or the ejection issues you had previously, but if I can help solve at least one of the problems you're having then great. I've had all those problems and then some.

11. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
  12. ROGER4314

ROGER4314 New Member

Mar 1, 2011
    I sent one of my P3AT's back to KT and found them to be very helpful and cooperative. Try giving them another chance. Heck, anyone can mess up.

Flash

13. chase

chase New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Whooo boy, when I check back here every week or two I am convinced that I own the only 2 KelTec P3AT and PF-9 that has not caused me any trouble in the last 2-1/2 years. Talk about lucky! Or not...KelTec makes good weapons, the problem sometimes is that the price is so inviting that it attracts newbies who have very little experience with handguns. They then Google a KelTec forum and dump all their frustrations on the group as to what their new SOB is not doing for them. Sorry, just a rant about how easy it is to sit behind a keyboard and trash a good weapon for the money and not take any responsibility for the lack of technique or knowledge of the platform. ;)

jb

14. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Whenever you read words similar to this, there is at least a little operator error involved.