Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So long story short…

I couldn’t find a P3AT for sale anywhere online. Nada. Called Kel-Tec, spoke with a rep. Asked him when they might churn out more of them. Was promptly told a couple tidbits of interest:

1.) Only one more run of P3AT’s will be produced, that’s it.

2.) By popular demand, the P32 will still be available and continually produced for the foreseeable future.

3.) Rep told me they will have a brand new .380 cal model come Shot Show and possibly a .32 ACP pistol (not sure)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Luckily I was able to find one online with a retailer that only had two in stock. Now I just have to worry about getting parts for it

·
Registered
115 Posts
KT should have plenty of parts for it right now, order what you think you will need.

This sounds like a bad idea, mine is old and has never failed, I can see them wanting to go after the new and improved whiz-bang hi-cap tacti cool market, but why get rid of old reliable? The 3AT was and still is a great BUG, as is.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KT should have plenty of parts for it right now, order what you think you will need.

This sounds like a bad idea, mine is old and has never failed, I can see them wanting to go after the new and improved whiz-bang hi-cap tacti cool market, but why get rid of old reliable? The 3AT was and still is a great BUG, as is.
I would imagine they probably want to compete with the new Ruger LCP Max (10 + 1)

Personally, I’m not interested in a 10+1 .380 I like the gun to be as thin, light and short (height) as possible to facilitate ease of draw from the pocket.

I would rather they make another smaller single stack P3AT 2.0 with improved grip, trigger, ergos, etc like Ruger did with the LCP II but even then, I prefer the original LCP as it’s somewhat smaller and lighter overall. Although the slide lock on empty is nice it also means making the gun wider and heavier and isn’t really necessary for a pocket gun IMO.

What I like about the P3AT and why I purchased one recently (hard to find) is simply weight. My loaded P3AT weighs what my Beretta Pico does empty. Nice benefit when I’m in gym shorts and sandals mode.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I will probably order another mag or 2 and continue to carry it in my pocket, take it out every couple of months and run a mag through it, tear it down clean it, and put it back in its pocket holster, and repeat. If it gets to the point, I need the slide to lock back or better sights on my BUG, things have gone so far south I doubt they would make a difference.

Reactions: 40 mike-mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I have a good bit of Buffalo Bore and Underwood .380 +P ammo that I had planned to use for an eventual Glock 42. I’ve read that the P3AT can handle limited “+P .380” now I’m kinda sorta tempted to try it… But if no more P3ATs are on the horizon, perhaps I’d best not…

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still waiting for my P3AT to arrive at my FFL. I have the P32 however. Love this thing! I bought the P3AT even though I prefer the extra round and slide lock of the P32 as ammo isn’t available locally pretty much anywhere (.32 ACP) so I wanted the .380 version just to simplify things! Plus, being 11 oz loaded is nice!

I’m already annoyed as I know that whatever 2.0 version Kel-Tec comes out with is almost guaranteed to be at least a little wider, heavier and if “double stack” (P365, Hellcat, LCP Max etc) will have to incorporate a taller and wider grip which is what I’m trying to avoid for a true pocket gun for any pocket.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a good bit of Buffalo Bore and Underwood .380 +P ammo that I had planned to use for an eventual Glock 42. I’ve read that the P3AT can handle limited “+P .380” now I’m kinda sorta tempted to try it… But if no more P3ATs are on the horizon, perhaps I’d best not…

I have never felt the need for +P and half the time I run FMJ in mine. Up here leather jackets and Carhartt are common 6 months out of the year, I want penetration, but if I have to use this, I figure it will be a mag dump at bad breath range. But again, this is a BUG to either a 1911 in 45 ACP or a 357 revolver. It's just there as the never know it's there back up/

As to ammo availability, 380 is coming back slowly, but it ain't cheap, as for32, I have no idea, I have some, but no gun to shoot it with, someone asked about finding some this week. Try ammoseek.com, it probably isn't cheap either, but they usually can send you in the right direction.

Reactions: 40 mike-mike

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Wow, this is interesting. I sold my P3AT to my brother in law a couple of years ago and we're still shooting it. It's a great gun and has been flawless through many thousands of rounds. It's a purpose built gun that serves its purpose well. Once I finally got to handle an LCP Max, it just felt too large and heavy for my taste - for its role.
I still carry a P32 occasionally and so does my wife. I'll be paying attention to whatever they do.

·
Registered
630 Posts
i had an issue with mine and keltec replaced a cracked frame. I had been shooting some buffalo bore, not a lot, and perhaps the new frames are stronger, but while i have a couple of the BB in the carry magazines, I don't shoot it any more. I'm no longer going to try to make a .380 be a 9mm

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i had an issue with mine and keltec replaced a cracked frame. I had been shooting some buffalo bore, not a lot, and perhaps the new frames are stronger, but while i have a couple of the BB in the carry magazines, I don't shoot it any more. I'm no longer going to try to make a .380 be a 9mm
My plan was to test just a magazine or two of the +P BB/UW for function and just use it strictly as carry ammunition.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just want a carry piece that actually allows me to place my shots.
ALL my .360's suck for accuracy. I'd really like to be able to hit an apple from across a room or road.
My .32 1903 can do it.

(que up the 90% < 7 yard comments)

·
Registered
115 Posts
ALL my .360's suck for accuracy. I'd really like to be able to hit an apple from across a room or road.
My .32 1903 can do it.

I think you will have to step up in size, my wife's Shield EZ will do that, but it's a lot bigger, you might as well get a 9mm, maybe a Bodyguard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
My .32 1903 can do it.

I’m much faster (back on target) with a P32 than any of my comparable .380 guns. Rapid fire with the weak hand is the real test application between the two.

.32 FMJ will penetrate +/- 16 inches in ballistic gelatin and will tumble throughout the permanent wound channel. It’s a nasty little round and punches above its weight class IMO.

It’s absurd how fast I can draw from a pocket with the little P32 and dump eight rounds of 7.65 in a blink of an eye.

Not so with a .380 in a similar weight class.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My .32 1903 can do it.

You could always try the Glock 42. Handles like a bigger gun. A little too big for a true pocket gun. A very nice lightweight minimalist belt gun however.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well that's disappointing.
Tell me about it. And I literally just got into KT pocket guns a couple weeks ago. I have a P32 and I’m picking up a P3AT tomorrow. Found a retailer who had two in stock. I’m afraid that being as things are, I will be limited to just testing my P3AT with carry ammo and perhaps a 200 round break in after which it will never (hopefully) be shot again outside of the occasional mag or two a year.

Sucks. These aren’t high round count guns. The BIC lighter of the gun world and I wanted at least two (P3AT) with one being used strictly for practice / training, the other for carry.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts