Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I just bought a P3AT and ordered the belt clip.   It arrived a few days ago, but I cant seem to get the pin out to install the belt clip.  I bought a 1/8 inch punch per instructions but after giving it some fairly good "wacks" I stopped fearing that I would damage my new gun.

I did try putting it on top of a stable box with a hole cut out (actually it was the ammo holder from a used box of 9mm ammo), didn't help.

Any suggestions?  The belt clip seems like a good idea but I dont want to damage my weapon.

Thanks -

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
welcome to KTOG.
I have not driven my grip pins out (yet) so I can't speak from experaince, but from hear say, the first drive out of the pin is more of a mental challange, trying to hit with enough force to break it free, yet not with enough to do irresversible damage.

a solid table with a spacer block with holes is what is needed

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.  I've read the other posts on the forum and they all seem to state that I shouldn’t have to hit it that hard.  When I last tried, I hit it plenty hard and felt that the pin just isn't budging.  I didn't get it to move at all (perhaps it’s the initial movement that is hard).

I would keep trying (i.e. hitting the pin with a 1/8 inch metal punch) but I can’t imagine this little gun will not hold up to the abuse.  Thanks for your suggestions.

PS - I am very impressed with my new P3AT - it shoots very well and I have had no FTF's!!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Try removing the pin from the other side.
I drove mine out to swap the grips. They came out using a punch and small ball peen hammer over a block of wood with holes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You were able to swap the grips??  Where did you buy them?  How hard is it to swap them? Thanks!

P.S. - Thanks for the suggestions.  Still working on getting the pin out (to install the belt clip)...

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
KT sells grips in OD green, black and gray. Call to order.

To change out the grip you need to remove the aluminum frame;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM06KhHw&feature=channel[/ame]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took it to the range yesterday, fired maybe 40 rounds through it so I will give it another try using the block of wood trick. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ried it from the other side - that pin isn't budging. I looked at the YouTube video re: disassembly and it looks like the pins come out with ease. I guess I will be sticking with the pocket holster (unless I can figure out how to get the dang pin out) I tried soaking it in WD 40 - didn't work. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
My P 32 pins were so tight I had to really bang the heck out of the punch. Once they started they got easier but were very hard to get started. Get a big back-block with a hole drilled in it like the vid and hit them suckers hard ;)

·
Administrator
32,164 Posts
While they will come out from either side, drive them out from the side that is indented with a little dip in it. It sounds like those suckers are in there good. Got a drill press? :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got it!! I pushed it through using the 1/8 inch punch and a bit of muscle per everyone's suggestion (I hit it from the side that was not flush). Thanks everyone for your help, couldn't have done it without you.

·
Administrator
32,164 Posts
It could be the previous owner epoxied them in, who knows on a used gun.  You could, with a drill bit just smaller than the pin, probably drill them out.  I would think you'd just have to drill through the thickness of the grip, maybe 1/16 inch as that is probably where they are binding.  This is pretty unusual.  I have seen a few that would walk out and had to be replaced, and maybe a couple that were difficult to remove, but nothing that wasn't fixed with a bigger hammer.  :-/

It wouldn't bother me until I needed to work on the internal parts of the gun, but I am not a fan of the belt clip anyway.

·
Registered
366 Posts
on my pf9 kel tec says to loctite the belt clip screws. dont overtighten as it will cause binding in my slide lock or they will just strip. i used the blue stuff. the screws can loosen if you dont do it right. no big problem. :p

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
I have a pocket clip for both my P3At and P11 but never use them because I like my trigger covered when it's on my person. That's just my personal preference and I'm not knocking your choice at all. In fact I've never heard of a ND from a KT that was carried with just the pocket clip. Anyway, I leave the pins that came with the clip kits in the guns even though I don't use the clips. That way if I ever wanted to go quick and light all I would have to do is screw on the clip and go.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a quick follow up. I mashed my old pin when I was installing the belt clip. I contected Kel Tec - they sent me four brand new ones - at no cost to me. My second generation P3AT has not jammed one time, trigger pull is much better than the LCP, and you can shoot plus P in self defense situations. I am buying a P11. Wish Kel Tec was public so I could buy stock. ;D

·
Registered
67 Posts
HEY GUYS - THIS MAYBE A STUPID QUESTION - I want to order a clip for my p3at - it asks do i want R or L - I know how i want the clip mounted and where but not sure if everyone mainly Keltek determines the right side of the gun - is the right side the right side while aiming the pistol as if i were shooting or when looking down the barrel? Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
Right side is while aiming the pistol as if you were shooting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts