Kel Tec P3AT Belt Clip Install Problem

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by sstetson, Aug 14, 2010.

1. sstetson

sstetson New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Hi Everyone,

I just bought a P3AT and ordered the belt clip.   It arrived a few days ago, but I cant seem to get the pin out to install the belt clip.  I bought a 1/8 inch punch per instructions but after giving it some fairly good "wacks" I stopped fearing that I would damage my new gun.

I did try putting it on top of a stable box with a hole cut out (actually it was the ammo holder from a used box of 9mm ammo), didn't help.

Any suggestions?  The belt clip seems like a good idea but I dont want to damage my weapon.

Thanks -

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    welcome to KTOG.
    I have not driven my grip pins out (yet) so I can't speak from experaince, but from hear say, the first drive out of the pin is more of a mental challange, trying to hit with enough force to break it free, yet not with enough to do irresversible damage.

a solid table with a spacer block with holes is what is needed

3. sstetson

sstetson New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Thanks for the reply.  I've read the other posts on the forum and they all seem to state that I shouldn’t have to hit it that hard.  When I last tried, I hit it plenty hard and felt that the pin just isn't budging.  I didn't get it to move at all (perhaps it’s the initial movement that is hard).

I would keep trying (i.e. hitting the pin with a 1/8 inch metal punch) but I can’t imagine this little gun will not hold up to the abuse.  Thanks for your suggestions.

PS - I am very impressed with my new P3AT - it shoots very well and I have had no FTF's!!

4. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Try removing the pin from the other side.
    I drove mine out to swap the grips. They came out using a punch and small ball peen hammer over a block of wood with holes.

5. sstetson

sstetson New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    You were able to swap the grips??  Where did you buy them?  How hard is it to swap them? Thanks!

P.S. - Thanks for the suggestions.  Still working on getting the pin out (to install the belt clip)...

6. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    KT sells grips in OD green, black and gray. Call to order.

To change out the grip you need to remove the aluminum frame;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM06KhHw&feature=channel[/ame]

7. HOUSER52

HOUSER52 New Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Yep. What Burley said. Wasn't too hard either.

8. marko_pf9

marko_pf9 New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    i would fire the gun a few times before i remove the pins. maybe 100 or so rounds? thats what i did with my pf9.

9. sstetson

sstetson New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    I took it to the range yesterday, fired maybe 40 rounds through it so I will give it another try using the block of wood trick. Thanks for the help.

10. sstetson

sstetson New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    ried it from the other side - that pin isn't budging. I looked at the YouTube video re: disassembly and it looks like the pins come out with ease. I guess I will be sticking with the pocket holster (unless I can figure out how to get the dang pin out) I tried soaking it in WD 40 - didn't work. Thanks for the help.

11. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    My P 32 pins were so tight I had to really bang the heck out of the punch. Once they started they got easier but were very hard to get started. Get a big back-block with a hole drilled in it like the vid and hit them suckers hard ;)

12. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    While they will come out from either side, drive them out from the side that is indented with a little dip in it. It sounds like those suckers are in there good. Got a drill press? :)

13. sstetson

sstetson New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    I got it!! I pushed it through using the 1/8 inch punch and a bit of muscle per everyone's suggestion (I hit it from the side that was not flush). Thanks everyone for your help, couldn't have done it without you.

14. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    It could be the previous owner epoxied them in, who knows on a used gun.  You could, with a drill bit just smaller than the pin, probably drill them out.  I would think you'd just have to drill through the thickness of the grip, maybe 1/16 inch as that is probably where they are binding.  This is pretty unusual.  I have seen a few that would walk out and had to be replaced, and maybe a couple that were difficult to remove, but nothing that wasn't fixed with a bigger hammer.  :-/

It wouldn't bother me until I needed to work on the internal parts of the gun, but I am not a fan of the belt clip anyway.

15. marko_pf9

marko_pf9 New Member

Jan 14, 2010
    on my pf9 kel tec says to loctite the belt clip screws. dont overtighten as it will cause binding in my slide lock or they will just strip. i used the blue stuff. the screws can loosen if you dont do it right. no big problem. :p

16. torrent

torrent Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2006
    I have a pocket clip for both my P3At and P11 but never use them because I like my trigger covered when it's on my person. That's just my personal preference and I'm not knocking your choice at all. In fact I've never heard of a ND from a KT that was carried with just the pocket clip. Anyway, I leave the pins that came with the clip kits in the guns even though I don't use the clips. That way if I ever wanted to go quick and light all I would have to do is screw on the clip and go.

17. sstetson

sstetson New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Good suggestion. The clip is nice but does add a bit of bulk - and the trigger is not covered.

Thanks -

18. sstetson

sstetson New Member

Aug 14, 2010
    Just a quick follow up. I mashed my old pin when I was installing the belt clip. I contected Kel Tec - they sent me four brand new ones - at no cost to me. My second generation P3AT has not jammed one time, trigger pull is much better than the LCP, and you can shoot plus P in self defense situations. I am buying a P11. Wish Kel Tec was public so I could buy stock. ;D

19. Big-Al

Big-Al New Member

Dec 30, 2012
    HEY GUYS - THIS MAYBE A STUPID QUESTION - I want to order a clip for my p3at - it asks do i want R or L - I know how i want the clip mounted and where but not sure if everyone mainly Keltek determines the right side of the gun - is the right side the right side while aiming the pistol as if i were shooting or when looking down the barrel? Thanks

20. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Right side is while aiming the pistol as if you were shooting.