Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

This is my first post here, though I've lurked for a few weeks now. I posted this same question over on 24hourcampfire.com.

My buddy Mike has me itching for a new carry gun. I think I really want a Kel-Tec P3AT in hard chrome, but it's a hard decision between it and the PF-9. I like the 9mm cartridge better, but like the size of the 380 pistol. Here are my choices today:

1. Kel-Tec P3AT hard chrome P3AT from a buddy who has a gun shop when he can get them (6 months+) for $230

2. Kel-Tec P3AT Blued from another gun store, $260+Tax = $278.20

3. Kel-Tec hard chrome from a third gun store for $280+tax = $299.60

4. Kahr PM9 Stainless (used) 9mm - $400+tax = $424

5. Buy a P3AT 1st gen, used, blued from a private party for $240.

These are the 5 options that I have that are availiable to me.

Obviously I'd like #1 except for the 6month+ wait. I'm afraid of rusting a blued gun, hence the reason for wanting chrome. The Kahr seems like a better deal but isn't as small as the Kel-tec.

What would you do?

-Adrian

G

·
Powerkicker said:
I vote for #5 followed by a distant #3.

+1 Power...

I would not worry so much about the rust issue, as I would not carry this gun if I did not shoot, strip, clean, and lube at least once a week.

This may seem excessive to some, but it is the only way I feel comfortable with such a light weight gun that I may ask to save my life. Plus... it gives me incentive to shoot it.

The lil gun in my pocket does not have a chance to get dirty or rusty.

With all that said, I did just order the following from a gun shop about thirty miles form me.

It is a chromed slide with Navy Blue Grip. The local gun shop guy does buy from the distrubutor that Kel-Tec is making these for, and the local gun shop could not tell me when it would come in. I already have 2 P3AT's and told him I was not worried about when it would come in, just long as I could get one at his quoted price of $295.

·
Registered
715 Posts
That seems to be a pretty good buy on #4. You could probably get your money back if you didn't like it. You could definately get your money back on #1. That would be my two choices unless you strictly wanted something for pocket carry. For pocket carry I would wait on the hard chrome for $230.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Definitely not the Kahr 9. For more serious carry, get the Kahr PM40 instead - much better cartridge for SD and the same size+weight as the PM9. If you can find a smaller/lighter 530 ft-lb weapon, please clue me in  :)

However, the P3 chrome will always find a place somewhere in anyones carry strategy. Yea, I own 2 light, small, very powerful guns, but I always carry my 3rd gun - the P3AT chrome - even though it only delivers 200 ft-lb.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  First, GET WHAT YOU WANT! There are many more advantages to the HC version than just rust-resistance.

1. You also get a chromed barrel. That is the ultimate in wear resistance.

2. KT has to PAY an outside contractor to do the chroming. Would YOU send a defective gun out to have money spent on it and then have to throw it away? Neither would KT. They probably do some extra QC on those HC guns BEFORE they go for plating.

3. Resale value will be higher.

4. Having Jack Nickel plate a blued one brings you almost up to that really good $280 price.

5. you need to get the ALWAYS gun first and the SOMETIMES PF9 later.

I vote for # 3 RIGHT NOW--Before it's GONE!

Save your money for six months and then buy that $230 twin when it comes in.

Packer.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Get the Kahr right now. If there is a problem with it kahr will make it right in my experience. Their service on my guns compares very favorably with that of Kel Tec. The PM9 with quality HP ammo is very effective. Just remember that shot placement is the key to stopping power. I have a Kahr P45 which actually is my favorite gun due to its ergonomics but in the summer months I usually carry the PM9 and a P3AT as a backup. I don't feel the 9mm Kahr is significantly less effective as a stopper than the P45 when both are loaded with Corbon DPX.

Once you have the Kahr you have six months to save money for the HC P3AT. You need them both. The Kel Tec is so small and light that it will be your always gun. The Kahr will be your primary gun due to its more effective cartridge except in circumstances where even its small size and light weight is to much to carry.

Always remember that shot placement is the most important factor in stopping power. There is no magic bullet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I decided to get the Kahr PM9. When they're availiable, I'll get the P3AT chrome job at $230. For now, I have a pistol to carry though I do realize I need to loose about 15 lbs or buy a larger size pants for it not to print quite as much in my pocket.

The folks at Hot Shots were nice enough to let me shoot te gun before I bought it (as it was used). I asked for a box of whatever was most likely to cause it to jam and they handed me a box of Speer Gold Dot +P's for short barreled pistols. It fed all 20 rounds without a hitch. When I got home, I tried 20 rounds of light FMJ stuff that I loaded a few years ago. It's lighter than it needs to be and I've never found anything that would feed it except my High Powers. Anyway, I still have about 900 rounds so I tried it in the new Kahr. It fed all 20 rounds fine and then it was too dark to see outside.

I took a few pictures with other pistols because the ones that VAnimrod over at 24hourcampfire.com took were very helpful to me. Maybe these will help someone with a decision.

Anyway, I think I'll like it and it'll certainly beat my other two CCW pistols, shown in the last picture.

http://www.sarogers.com/kahr/default.htm

Thanks,
Adrian

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hope you like your PM9 as much as I like mine. All Kahrs I have owned like lub so don't let it get dry. I usually carry mine inside the waistband under an untucked shirt. They are just a little heavy for my pocket. If you ever feel the need to upgrade the sights consider the Big Dot sights Kahr offers. they aren't as good for bullseye shooting but I think they are superior for fighting.

I think you got a very good deal.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Sounds like a good pistol at a good price!

Here's my acid test, though, to see whether you "need" a P3-AT as well. Do you leave your house without a gun (when you can legally carry)? If so, as others have stated, the P3-AT is an exceptional "always" gun. I never thought I'd carry 24/7, until my OD/blued 2G 380 came into my life... ;D I can pocket carry the PF-9 in cargo shorts (not really jeans or dockers), but the P3-AT (either in the pocket, or in dress clothes on the ankle) is practically glued to me at all times.

The PM-9 gets great reviews though, and its a quality gun from what I read! If it is easy enough to carry in most/all scenarios, go with it!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.