Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had narrowed my choices down the the RFB or the FN SCAR-17. My preference was the RFB, due to price, longer barrel, shorter overall length, versatility with magazines, and better magazine availability.
The SCAR-17 was attractive due to lower recoil, easier disassembly, reputation for running on any and all ammo, simplicity, and its adaptation by the military. The price was a partial deterrent.
I bid on several RFB's on Gunbroker, but consistently lost the auctions despite bidding past what I thought was an acceptable price point.
The lack of availability has finally worn me down. I have succumbed to "waiting fatigue." I am now the owner of a new FN SCAR-17.
Kel Tec lost a customer due to lack of inventory.

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with and enjoy your SCAR.

·
Registered
41 Posts
SCAR is a nice choice. But the RFB and KSG are like a pair of limited edition exclusive Nike Air Jordans, you have to call around, stalk stores, and camp out for them LOL!! I searched every site for an RFB, then one day I just began:

• Calling random stores across the country
  • Emailing dealers across the country
  • Jumped on several free RFB dealer waiting lists in about 12 different states via the phone
  • Stalking auctions on GunBroker that ended at odd hours 2am
  • Searched and contacted all Florida gun stores in a 60 mile radius of Kel-Tec HQ
  • Posting inquiries on AK47.net, bullpupforum, AR-15.net etc
  • I even tried to call Kel-Tec a few times to locate one...

Then I began to use Google as my search tool of choice, I would keyword search for Kel-Tec RFB, and filtered the search for results created within the past hour, and kept refreshing that search for at-least 2 weeks, and one day I found one dealer that posted a new RFB on backpage.com (similar to craigslist) within the last 10 minutes. I called him, and he gave me a good price for it.

Kel-Tec is one of the only small companies going against the grain in gun design, they are out of the box thinkers, which kind of forces them to be Super Exclusive! Anytime your Shotgun, Rifle, and Handguns are the most sought after guns in the world, you bring attention to your business, and you make consumers drool! Their guns look futuristic, like something out of Total Recall or Black Ops 2. A creative design with a low supply, will make consumers, distributors, and dealers go NUTS!!!! Kel-Tec booth at Shot Show and other large gun shows is always PACKED!! Kel-Tec is loving every bit of it, and they probably have no plan to increase quantity EVER!

·
Registered
38 Posts
they probably have no plan to increase quantity EVER!
It's been stated that the owner won't put the company in debt to expand their operations. This means it will take some time for KT to increase output, buying new CNC machines and hiring new workers as they can be afforded. It doesn't mean they intend to keep production intentionally low. Personally I think this is a great slow-growth strategy in an increasingly volatile market.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There have plenty of RFB's on gun broker that have had a buy it now price less than that of a scar in the past few weeks. No need to bid if you know what you want. Yes you are going to pay more to have it "Now" but its an RFB :D . Don't get me wrong the scar-17's are cool , but they are no RFB.

·
Registered
96 Posts
There have plenty of RFB's on gun broker that have had a buy it now price less than that of a scar in the past few weeks. No need to bid if you know what you want. Yes you are going to pay more to have it "Now" but its an RFB :D . Don't get me wrong the scar-17's are cool , but they are no RFB.
I've only been watching for a couple of weeks on Gunbroker but the buy it now RFB's I've seen were all used. I've been tempted. I'm not usually picky about having to have something brand new but I consider the RFB to be a very big treat to myself so I am holding out for a new one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Personally I wouldn't hold out for a new one. 90% of the guns I buy are used. 99% of the people out there don't come close to using a rifle (particularly a 308) enough for it to be abused.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Personally I wouldn't hold out for a new one. 90% of the guns I buy are used. 99% of the people out there don't come close to using a rifle (particularly a 308) enough for it to be abused.
I hear you and I may change my mind soon and buy a used one with buy it now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't get me wrong the scar-17's are cool , but they are no RFB.
Well said. I have both, the Scar 17 came out of the box and shot 10 ring groups. The RFB spent 4 weeks at the factory being essentially rebuilt to function before I would consider keeping it.
Keltec needs to spend a lot more time on QC. It's not that the gun is not lacking in quality, it's making sure they function before they leave the plant.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just decided to put an order in with my dealer and wait...April 'til November last year, but I got a good price $1375 w/o tax.

·
Registered
501 Posts
SCAR is a nice choice. But the RFB and KSG are like a pair of limited edition exclusive Nike Air Jordans, you have to call around, stalk stores, and camp out for them LOL!! I searched every site for an RFB, then one day I just began:

• Calling random stores across the country
  • Emailing dealers across the country
  • Jumped on several free RFB dealer waiting lists in about 12 different states via the phone
  • Stalking auctions on GunBroker that ended at odd hours 2am
  • Searched and contacted all Florida gun stores in a 60 mile radius of Kel-Tec HQ
  • Posting inquiries on AK47.net, bullpupforum, AR-15.net etc
  • I even tried to call Kel-Tec a few times to locate one...

Then I began to use Google as my search tool of choice, I would keyword search for Kel-Tec RFB, and filtered the search for results created within the past hour, and kept refreshing that search for at-least 2 weeks, and one day I found one dealer that posted a new RFB on backpage.com (similar to craigslist) within the last 10 minutes. I called him, and he gave me a good price for it.

Kel-Tec is one of the only small companies going against the grain in gun design, they are out of the box thinkers, which kind of forces them to be Super Exclusive! Anytime your Shotgun, Rifle, and Handguns are the most sought after guns in the world, you bring attention to your business, and you make consumers drool! Their guns look futuristic, like something out of Total Recall or Black Ops 2. A creative design with a low supply, will make consumers, distributors, and dealers go NUTS!!!! Kel-Tec booth at Shot Show and other large gun shows is always PACKED!! Kel-Tec is loving every bit of it, and they probably have no plan to increase quantity EVER!
I'm pretty bored on one of my days off from work so I am using the find an FFL feature of Gunbroker to compile a list of every dealer in PA. I'm sitting here going down the list; calling every single one, hoping by a long shot they tell me they have an RFB in stock. The last place I called went something like this:

Me: Good afternoon, do you have a Kel-Tec RFB in stock by any chance?
Gun Shop: Good luck buddy. I've had a few on order for over a year and have yet to see one.

I think at this point I am going insane trying to find one of these and I thought the guy's first sentence was hillarious and just wanted to share.:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In response to ronmar and GFF:

Thanks for your input.

I must confess that I have not yet had the ability to use either rifle (RFB vs. SCAR 17s) , so I defer to those that have done so. I was basing my opinion of "lower recoil" for the SCAR 17 purely on careful viewing of videos on YouTube. The shooters of the RFB, when viewed on video, seem to experience more felt recoil and muzzle rize than those shooting the SCAR 17. That is only my opinion, based on watching the videos.

Don't misconstrue, I would have definetely preferred to have an RFB. I simply could not justify waiting any longer to have a .308 "battle rifle" in my armory. I am not confident that my access to these semiautomatic firearms will be maintained after November.

Kel Tec is in competition with FNH and other competent manufacturers. They are making their decisions based on many factors, of which we can only guess. All I am saying is that, in this moment, with the current situation, I could no longer wait for better availability. I wanted my battle rifle, NOW, and I wanted a good one, and they could not deliver. The forces of supply and demand determine the outcome. Kel Tec must decide if they want to "time" the market, or meet the current demand.

·
Super Moderator
17,763 Posts
I wanted my battle rifle, NOW, and I wanted a good one, and they could not deliver.
In that case you made the proper decision. Kel-tec does not make "battle rifles", and has never claimed to. And the people who expect them to stand up to the rigors of that standard at half the comparable price - excluding the aforementioned RFB - are setting themselves up for failure. And I am not talking down Kel-tecs by making this statement. But if I am specifically looking for a "battle rifle" in .308 I am going with an M1A, your SCAR, or one of the AR based platforms out there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I was in same position you were having given up on ever seeing an RFB for sale. Also guilty of the artificial need of having to have one NOW.

So I gave up after 1.5 years and went to my LGS to buy any ol "battle rifle" and lo and behold look what was sitting on the shelf.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was in same position you were having given up on ever seeing an RFB for sale. Also guilty of the artificial need of having to have one NOW.

So I gave up after 1.5 years and went to my LGS to buy any ol "battle rifle" and lo and behold look what was sitting on the shelf.
Good story Captiva, it gives me hope. :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
I had my LGS order one last month for me. I think he is insane because he told me it would be there in 4-6 weeks. That seems like it will never happen from reading this forum and after calling almost every gun shop in eastern PA yesterday only to find that there are no RFB's in stock any where. It puts me in a real tough place. Do I wait however long it takes so I can get this beautiful rifle for $1189 (my LGS's quote) or do I just man up and get one from gun broker for a much higher price? Waiting will allow me to save up money to get some nice back up sights and an optic. I'm thinking of another EOTech, but possibly something with magnification. The downside is that I've never been known to be a patient guy. :(

1 - 20 of 45 Posts