Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Please understand that I ask this question because of long standing debates about NOT shooting 5.56 ammo through a barrel chambered for .223 (pressure and length differences). I live in Canada and bought my RDB and it clearly only states .223 on the barrel. I've owned and built a few AR-15's and I am very cautious as to not put myself or any guest I host shooting any rifles I own at risk. I purchased the RDB based on the fact that it is advertised as 5.56 NATO/223 Rem BUT I do not see ANY mention of 5.56 stamped on my barrel, only .223 rem.

Where can I find absolute validation that my specific RDB, which has only .223 Rem stamped on the barrel, can actually shoot 5.56 NATO safely. I have tons of 5.56 and was hoping not to have to purchase other ammo. I could ask the vendor I purchased it from but I would like to hear from more than one source. I may have completely missed some Kel-Tec/RDB documentation that clarifies this so if I have please point me in the right direction :).

Muhnster

·
Registered
130 Posts
Interesting... this is the first time I have heard about RDB in 223 Rem. I would just call KT and give them the SN and see what they say. Unless you have the fancy chamber throat gauge to measure yourself

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I hope someone screwed the marking up. Mine is chambered for 5.56/.223 . At least I thought it was, the safe is locked now and I'm not going to open it to check. I've been firing 5.56 in it with no issues.

·
Registered
RFB18 (Gen1) RDB17 (1:9 )
545 Posts
I hope someone screwed the marking up. Mine is chambered for 5.56/.223 . At least I thought it was, the safe is locked now and I'm not going to open it to check. I've been firing 5.56 in it with no issues.
It's a Canada thing. Theirs are marked 223 so they can be sold.

But also...like you Bjk mine is marked 556
(the 1:9 just means it's an old Rdb)
Tire Automotive tire Camera lens Camera accessory Bicycle part

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies! I've opened a "ticket" with Kel-Tec to get clarification on the chambering for the particular RDB I own. Maybe it is a Canada thing, but when, quite a few years ago when I bought my Ruger and Sig ARs, they were both stamped 5.56... Hopefully I get a favorable response from KT and will keep you guys updated on their response.

Appreciate everything so far!

·
Registered
15 Posts
According to the book, 5.56 can handle 223 but not the other way around. I would not try 5.56 until you hear from the maker.Pressure's and chamber are different.

·
Registered
545 Posts
According to the book, 5.56 can handle 223 but not the other way around. I would not try 5.56 until you hear from the maker.Pressure's and chamber are different.
If this was a 223 bolt action,you would be right. The Rdb manual even has 556/223 and other caliber stated in it (as in it can run both). Chad from Keltec has stated its fine on the Facebook group for the Rdb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good afternoon folks,
I did get an answer from Kel-Tec and it made no sense at all other than warn me about using 5.56 in my rifle. Here is the response:

"Since it is a Canadian model that is why. From what I understand is that the 5.56 NATO round was banned in Canada so they are now chambered for .223 REM. Yours is chambered for .223. I apologize for the confusion. We do not recommend using 5.56 in your firearm."

This is the add for the exact RDB I bought:

and this is 5.56 selling at the same provider:

This is not accurate as 5.56 IS NOT banned in Canada. I can go buy 5.56 right now by the case here and legally. I responded stating the obvious and waiting on the response. I am obviously VERY disappointed with both the reseller and Kel-Tec right now. I really want the firearm in the caliber I purchased (and legally available in Canada)....

·
Registered
130 Posts
Wow this really sucks, if there's no legal requirement for abandoning 556 then KT would be shooting themselves in the foot with this move in Canada. Why wouldn't them going with 223 Wylde? At least doesn't sound as scary as 556 NATO right?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I highly doubt that KT is using different down graded components for Canadian RDBs, but instead taking them from the same bin as the rifles we get. But I have no inside info'. Spec'ing different parts would add to the expense IMO.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Good afternoon folks,
I did get an answer from Kel-Tec and it made no sense at all other than warn me about using 5.56 in my rifle. Here is the response:

"Since it is a Canadian model that is why. From what I understand is that the 5.56 NATO round was banned in Canada so they are now chambered for .223 REM. Yours is chambered for .223. I apologize for the confusion. We do not recommend using 5.56 in your firearm."

This is the add for the exact RDB I bought:

and this is 5.56 selling at the same provider:

This is not accurate as 5.56 IS NOT banned in Canada. I can go buy 5.56 right now by the case here and legally. I responded stating the obvious and waiting on the response. I am obviously VERY disappointed with both the reseller and Kel-Tec right now. I really want the firearm in the caliber I purchased (and legally available in Canada)....
I mean..Looking at the non-restricted x95..Its chambered for and marked the same as the RDB.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey Guys,
Please understand that I ask this question because of long standing debates about NOT shooting 5.56 ammo through a barrel chambered for .223 (pressure and length differences). I live in Canada and bought my RDB and it clearly only states .223 on the barrel. I've owned and built a few AR-15's and I am very cautious as to not put myself or any guest I host shooting any rifles I own at risk. I purchased the RDB based on the fact that it is advertised as 5.56 NATO/223 Rem BUT I do not see ANY mention of 5.56 stamped on my barrel, only .223 rem.

Where can I find absolute validation that my specific RDB, which has only .223 Rem stamped on the barrel, can actually shoot 5.56 NATO safely. I have tons of 5.56 and was hoping not to have to purchase other ammo. I could ask the vendor I purchased it from but I would like to hear from more than one source. I may have completely missed some Kel-Tec/RDB documentation that clarifies this so if I have please point me in the right direction :).

Muhnster
I use my RDB with 556 all the time, no issues. I use 223 when I shoot for accuracy but for just steel 556 was cheaper for awhile so I used that for range shooting

·
Registered
63 Posts
The difference between the two is that the military chambering has more leade. There is an ongoing thread on this on arfcom.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts