Kel-Tec guns OPINION ONLY!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ole380, Aug 23, 2007.

1. ole380

ole380 New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Well this is my felling about Kel-Tec. I would never own anything other than the pocket pistols. Reason being is that Kel-Tec is just to crappy when it comes to their products. Sure they make some nice designs but the reliability falls short on all of their weapons. I do love my pocket pistol but think of it like a $5 folding knife from Wally world. I will use it for all intents and purposes but I know it would not be ideal to trust alone.  Everybody says how awesome their Customer support is but customer support will not save me in a emergence situation. I want my weapons built right the first time. I know no weapon is without fault but its no secret that they saved a little money on the construction of their weapons.

Does anyone agree with me on this?

2. Ole... sit back and have some Kool-Aide......maybe a bucket of popcorn!

Me.. I love all my KT's, and I trust my P3AT with my life!  I have three KT's now.  The last KT purchase was the SUB 2000 .40 Cal in Glock Config.

The .380's are for self defense.  It is my primary, and most of the time only, CCW.  The fact that I carry it indicates I trust it.

The Carbine is for fun.  I own more than just Kel-Tecs.  Glocks, CZ's, Taurus', to name a few.  The reasons for buying them are varied, and the decision to buy them was mine.

If you expect to join this forum, and then after only 17 post (a few that you wisely deleted) ask for a show of hands on who thinks:

.... well let me say that instead of a show of hands, you may just get a few fingers!

Any how, if you get board watching this thread, I have a book you might find interesting:
    [​IMG]

3. flonder22

flonder22 New Member

Feb 11, 2007
    May I be the first to give him a show of one finger ?

4. Alex

Alex New Member

Jun 14, 2007
    May I be the first (you're slippin guys) to offer you $100 for that unreliable POS. I want to protect you from the temptation to carry any weapon that you don't trust with your life. I'll be awaiting your PM.

5. burley

burley Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    [highlight]Other / Trading Post / Re: FS: HARD STEEL PF9 & P3AT/P32 MAG CATCHES
    on: Aug 21st, 2007, 12:27am  

Ole380

Thank you! I look forward to installing this in my trusty P3AT .

,Jason [/highlight] 

So from  8/21/07 to 8/23/07 it's gone  to 'crappy'???  You sure change you tune quick :-/
    You may not realize it but this site is a bunch of Kel Tec owners that like their guns (of all kinds ) and we enjoy trading info on how to keep them up and / or  make em better . Everything mechanical can have problems but crappy they are not. Now if you were talking about a Jennings or some other real pc of @%^* I'm sure many would jump in and agree. BTW an analogy here is ; We'r a breakfst club and you just p@%*ed on our Wheatys

6. wyo-man

wyo-man New Member

Nov 27, 2006
    NO !!!

wyo-man

7. xcop1105

xcop1105 New Member

Nov 19, 2006
    p32 p3at both fine guns i trust them and carry them daily.

8. mastercrasher

mastercrasher New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Bellevue
    ;D You mispelled emergency.

9. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Ole, I think you may be expecting more out of KTs than is reasonable.  Yes there are guns out there that are almost as inexpensive as KT yet are much more, shall we say, robust.  A Ruger P series pistol or carbine comes to mind.  However, there is NOTHING out there that is as small, light, powerful and has the capacity of either my P3AT or P40/P11.  No body make a carbine that folds up to 16 inches long. Will my KTs run for decades of hard use like the Ruger?  No.  Will they go bang and hit what I'm pointing at at least 25 more times.  Yes.

Nothing else matters.  I took the time to get them both running right.  Put enough rounds thru them to satisfy myself that not only did they go bang they did so every time.  I examine them carefully every time I clean them, looking fo signs of wear.  I shoot them a few rounds of carry ammo when I go to the range (every month or so).  Once in a while I'll put a couple of mags thru one or the other.  My other KTs are range toys, however the SUB 2000 is certainly durable enough for emergency use and (with good ammo) goes bang every time.  The SUB 9 is built like a frickin tank.

The above is just my opinion, but Ole, if you want to hang around here it's best to not agravate the animals.  If you are having problems with your KT these guys will do everything to help you get it sorted out.  But not if you start out with "my KT is a POS".

BTW, $103.  ;)  

10. beegeezy2

beegeezy2 New Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Hahahahaha, who comes onto a forum for a product, and then bashes the product, and THEN expects everyone else to agree with him? That would be like me going buying a bimmer, going on a bimmer forum stating that bimmers are crap, and then seeing if everyone else felt the same way. idiot.

11. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Not the best analogy BG. Most BMW owners realize that Beemers ARE crap. Just a lot of money for the name. My boss had one of those SUVs. Worst handling worst riding truck or car I've ever dirven. Ate brake rotors every 20K. BMW said "yep, they do that."

Beemer rant hi-jack off.

;) ;D

12. Muddflap

Muddflap New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    Kel-Tec's are what they are. Will they last 50,000,000,000 rounds like my Sig's, no. Will they last the 6 rounds that will save my butt, when I can't carry the Sig? Yes they will. There is really nothing to compare them to until you get past $450.00, and even the $450.00 guns have a problem every now and then. I carry mine as a primary, or a back-up, every time I carry.

13. MarkTX

MarkTX New Member

Jun 2, 2007
    League City TX
    What's a bimmer?

14. Silver_Dollar

Silver_Dollar New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    You misspelled misspell!

15. Syndil

Syndil New Member

May 8, 2007
    Bimmer is BMW. They are indeed money pits (brother has one but he's got $$ to spare) but when it comes to how they drive and perform, they can't be beat.

You can drive almost every model BMW makes at an Ultimate Drive event. I do it almost every year cuz it's just damn fun.

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmwexperience/EventsandPrograms/UDSK/

16. Muddflap

Muddflap New Member

Jun 5, 2007
    A bimmer is a BMW car.  A beemer is a BMW motorcycle.

17. mastercrasher

mastercrasher New Member

Sep 3, 2006
    Bellevue
    You're right, I was thinking about a boat I used to own. MISS PELL. Oh well. I'm Miss Understod, Miss Underfunded, Miss Managed, Etc. ;D

18. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    The only gun I own is a Kel-Tec P-3AT and I trust it completely. It has been great since day-one. It now has over 1900 rounds through it with no malfunctions.

That said, I would rather spend an extra $50 on a gun and be assured that it was ready for it’s purpose NIB than have to clean it, fluff and buff it, and lube it before it was good to go as I did with my P-3AT.

So I partially agree with the original poster in that the guns should be more shooter ready when purchased, but I don’t agree that they are not reliable or that you can’t trust your life to them.

19. c0wboi38

c0wboi38 New Member

Sep 19, 2006
    To answer the question, NO.

For more detail, HECK NO.

;D

For waaaay too much detail: I own 4 KTs and have a 5th on Layaway. One P-11, one PF-9 and 2 P3-ATs. All of them are now over 500 rounds, and 3 of the 4 are over 1K. NONE have had any problems. I did NOTHING more than a basic cleaning on any of them. No fluff and buff, no grease, no polishing of ramps, nothing.

All of them serve time as either a BUG or a primary CCW weapon. Sometimes my primary is one KT and my BUG is another. My wife carries her P3-AT 99 percent of the time. And she's pregnant. Do I trust KT?

You bet I do.

20. Spikejerk

Spikejerk New Member

I have two P3s and trust them completely. I've had zero problems with them and they've never had to take a trip back to Cocoa. I think it's ironic that so many people who would bash a KT for not working perfectly out of the box, don't think twice when their brand new, big money 1911 needs plenty of tweaking before it's running 100%. Maybe if KT tripled the price, fewer people would complain about the quality. Of course they saved a little money on production. That's what KT is trying to do. They're pushing the envelope by producing pocket guns with proportionally large calibers than are usually found in that class of weapon.