Kel Tec day at the range and some "ramblings"

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by forestranger, Feb 20, 2008.

1. forestranger

forestranger Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Just got in from range session with 1st gen 2+ year old P3AT and 2 PF9s. 50 rds thru p3at and 50 rds thru each pf9 + one mag each of carry load. Not a bobble. The p3at amazes me every time I shoot it with it's accuracy and reliability. After about 1000 rds, I will admit I baby it. 50 rds/month cause as much as I love shooting it, I know it's not a range gun...but it's never had anything done to it but "fluff and buff". Now the "rambling". I have owned over 40 pistols in my life and still own most of them. Many makes and models including 4 Rugers(have owned 8) and 4 Kel Tecs. Over the years. I have had problems with 1 Iver Johnson TP22, 1 SW model 13, 3 Rugers( 1 twice) and 1 FN. All except for Iver Johnson got fixed and are good shooters. Kel Tecs, for me, have been more reliable and trouble free than a number of my prettier and more expensive pistols. In all the LCP hoopla, I have made that comment along with the fact that the lcp is at least a "clone" of the p3at several times on other forums. I've been told that the lcp is locked breech and p3at is blowback and lcp has last shot slide lock and that p3at feels like "piece of aluminum foil"????? by people who have not shot lcp or p3at. It's a ruger and it's prettier seems to be the deciding factor for some folks. Well Ruger has had problems too with quality...Blackhawks spitting out cylinder pins, Vaquero recalls, 357 Maximum recalls, Bearcat 22lr/22 mag. recalls, barrel peening and mag issue with SR9 are some I've had experience with or know someone who has. But Ruger makes "quality" and Kel Tec makes "crap"?????? Forgive the ramblings of an old man who hopes he's among friends. :'(

2. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    I hear you. I don't think Kel-tec gets a fair shake.
    How much is Northern snobbery and history? You see "made in Hartford Connecticut" and the image is old time quality and workmanship. Cocoa Beach doesn't have the same ring to it. Sounds a lot like Chino CA. (Jennings)
    Maybe they should produce them in Stonemill, Michigan. Sounds Better. Haha.

But I can honestly say out of 5 ruger products I have never had even a minor issue.
    Not to say this LCP will be the same of course. This is a whole new game for Sturm Ruger.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    please, lets not go into discussing "other guns" in the P3AT section.

As for owning other guns...Out of all of them, only the P3's have become the one i go for every day. (and the K&D holster helps make that so too ;))

4. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    Hey he started it. Haha.

5. forestranger

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Sorry I transgress. :'(

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    As I'm sure you know, the Kel-tec pistols are locked-breech.

7. forestranger

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Yep. I know and so do some "uninformed" now. Sorry about getting off on "other guns" but after perfect day at range with p3at and then reading some bad comments about it, just got me "depressed" a little but "I'm feeling much better"! :eek:

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    "...But "I'm feeling much better now" -Buddy (John Aston, Night Court) ;D ;D ;D ;D

9. forestranger

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
  10. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    ...strange how we all seem to migrate to the same places on the weekend :eek:, went to the range myself today, went through 50 rds total of AE FMJ, PMC FMJ, Gold Dot HP, & Hydra Shok HP, tried to get my P-3 to hic-up, but it just wouldn't do it. I mixed up the JHP with the HP, did rapid fire, single fire, limp wristed, left-hand, right-hand, didn't make any difference! If I'm ever invited to dance (hope it never happens) this will be the partner I'll have with me. ;)

11. forestranger

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Maybe a year ago. I stopped by my main gun shop to pick up some ammo before heading to range. Owner had just purchased NIB 2nd gen p3at for himself. Told me he didn't have time to break it in and would I do it while at the range. ;DHe gave me 100 rds of fmj and a box of DPX. Right out of box, it ate em all without a hiccup. Shot it and regularly shoot mine one handed & left handed and couldn't get his and still can't get mine to jam.

12. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Gotta love those flawless KT's. The problem is, most of the people who don't have problems don't bother to post. Then, lurkers here and other places (lurkers, not Lurker ;)) go away thinking that all KT's have problems. They don't bother to do REAL research. Posts like yours, forestranger, are quite important, IMO (except for the stuff that belongs in "Other Guns" ::)). THANK YOU!!

-Matt

13. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    I've heard this somewhere before  ::)  a big +1

I only put 21 flawless rounds down range today If you don't count the 150
    flawless from the CZ ;)

14. eduk8tor

eduk8tor New Member

Feb 10, 2008
    forestranger- That must have been a real struggle trying to decide if you wanted to help break in his new gun for him or not, what did it take 1 mebbe 2 seconds to decide? ;)

15. forestranger

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    Even for me, it was a "no brainer". He made a friend for life! Buy all my guns from him from then on. He got me all 4 kel tecs. ;D

16. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I love it! I saw that episode in its original airing. I've used that line for years in various "situations." ::)

Oh, and my P3AT is my only gun that has been 100% from the start. Well, my P11 has been too, but I haven't got enough rounds down range with it to consider it broken in. If only my PF9 was as good.

17. forestranger

Jan 29, 2008
    NC
    I give a lot of credit for the lack of problems I've had with p3at, p11,& 2 pf9s to folks here at KTOG. Learned a lot here about "prevenative maintenance" .

18. boatnsc

boatnsc New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lots of people at the range . l put 100 rds wwb through my P3AT yesterday not a burp.. TW
    my son just b4 l got there and he is buying Dies to reload 380 and said save my brass.
    l picked up about 50% and when l got home noticed that alot of the brass looked like a
    D at the top ,very strange, also under the magnifying glass l noted a gash in my feed ramp
    which was not there b4, actually you can even see it with the naked eye too. This is a new HCslide and barrel installed by KT when l was down getting other work done 2 weeks ago..
    Nice to live 45min from factory ...any thoughts on the brass and gash thanks

19. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The D is probably caused when the spent rounds hits the sharp, bottom edge of the barrel hood on the way out.  Often, this can be cured by breaking that sharp, 90 degree, lower edge of the barrel hood very carefully with a needle file and smoothing with some 600 grit paper.  Just take the sharp edge off and be careful not to remove any metal that affects lockup.  This is commonly done around here and is referred to as the barrel hood mod.  On a few guns, usually 1st gen, the barrel hood mod is needed to cure FTE/FTF caused when the empty doesn't clear the barrel hood in time for the upcoming round to chamber.  So long as the gun functions well, most people don't worry about the banged up brass, but I have seen a few people do the mod so they could reload their brass.

20. theheater905

theheater905 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    There are those uninformed individuals who will bash KT, they also ignore the fact that all manufacturers have design issues on new products. What makes KT so unique is how quickly they address the issues and the service they give. How many companies offer a lifetime warreny on their firearms or will send you parts on request because you ask for them, no questions asked ? We cant lose !