Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been out of the loop on Keltec's for several years since I sold my P-11... so have questions about Cherakote finishes.

At various places I have seen these finishes advertised as factory finishes, not something painted on after market. Are they really from the factory? Confused because I didn't see them all on KelTec's web site as per se on both slides and grip frames... only blue, parkerized and hard chrome slides with black, gray and olive drab grip frames. Yet there are KT's advertised with other colors, and they are on both the slide and the frame. Maybe I missed them on the web site, maybe they are something new not updated on it yet? :confused:

Also, how do these finishes hold up in use and in holster carry?

Thanks folks.

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
The Slides are now offered (from the factory) in Cerakoted Coyote Tan and OD Green, as well as the original Blued, Parkerized and Hard Chrome.

The OD Green grips used to be color impregnated, but when KT went to Cerakoted slides (Jan '11?), they seem to have done away with the impregnated OD Green grips (as well as the Coyote Tan) and went to matching Cerakote.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/pf9-452-slide-2/

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I had rather have cera or dura "kotes" over blued, or parkerized or HC. The best is CCR. their plating is outstanding 1000hr military salt bath certified and also a budget expense. The durakote had a better shine than cerakote . Go to photos sticky P3at and look.

I love spending money at ccrrefinishing.com I have 2 pistols complete from them now at home. Both are plated and run 100%. The price is so reasonable. My first kt380 run100% and recently I learned about "tuning" pistols, so next week I am getting that done to my first keltec. Then I will do touch up coating.

The frame rails and other parts of aluminum frame, trigger bar,etc.,, seems to run better and smooth after coated with cera or dura. I get my frames done in light colors so I can see down in there easier for inspection and cleaning. Frame accepts oil better, keeps it there longer and more evenly and after shooting is simple breeze to clean. When rails are meeting rails & have more than just bluing on them it makes a huge difference. All pieces & parts are smooth'ed and "de-blued " before coating or plating.. Roughness edges all over internal parts causes oil to have a harder time to travel around. Sound a lil' too much, think again..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you both for your very informative comments.

They take any reservations I had about these coatings completely away, and offer me more choices to select from on my next KelTec. I'm still on the fence as to which model it will be for sure yet after the experience shared with me here on another thread. I know I don't want parkerized or hard chrome slides, so thought I was left with basic blue/black. That's OK for my use, but the Coyote Tan/FDE slide/frame does interest me, as does the advatages of the coats pointed out.

Appreciate your help.

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
I had rather have cera or dura "kotes" over blued, or parkerized or HC.
Think and say what you like. In spite of all the hype, much of it around here from you, Cerakote is essentially paint. Really good paint, and a good choice for refinishing, proabably better than durakote, - but it is paint. IMHO, NOTHING BEATS HARD CHROME.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
well your 100% right. I have messed up several paragraphs on ktog..CCR does not do cera or dura. Their coatings are different, single stage phonelic based with ceramic particles they have developed. But i have more than one gun and dura and cera does hold up pretty good. I own HC keltecs. I dont want HC on every pistol. We had HC pistol on ktog not long ago that was flaking off..Why don't you say somthing about the plateing I had done at CCR. I agree with you it is good paint. But I like it for different colors . Mary has explained the difference between HC and CCR's plating. I have showed 2 different kt380's on your web site way to many times, ones is plated, other is their coatings. CCR Coatings are not cerakote or durakote ... HC can have corrosion and rust.

CCR plating is 1000 hour military salt bath certified, and according to Mary and brad is better than HC. To each his own, I like both... "coatings & Platings" but not HC..

·
Administrator
31,982 Posts
CCR does very nice work and their cerakote finish, or whatever they call it, is a very good pick. However, I am not surprised that people selling a product claim that it is better than something else. The various spray and bake color choices are nice if appearance is a critical factor. For pocket pistols and SD guns, I go with function over appearance. I don't think you can beat hard chrome for hardness, durability, corrosion resistance or friction coefficient.

AP Cogan does hard chrome, durakote, cerakote, nickle plating, blueing, etc. They make money no matter which finish you choose. Ask them what finisih is best and see what they say? ;)

http://www.apwcogan.com/

·
Premium Member
15,000 Posts
All of mine are either HC or nickel plated. I'm very happy with them all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plot thickens.

I knew better but contacted a FFL on Gun Broker who had what I was thinking I wanted. High price, ridiculous transfer/shipping fees and him wanting to play games. Reminded my why over the years I have never bought or sold on that site. Anyway, I think I'll just go back to the basic blue/black, that will hold up just fine longer than I'll live for what little use it will get. Contacted my local FFL to check into what he could order me one for. 5 or 10 percent over cost and local tax is way better than what I've seen on line, plus some inflated shipping/transfer costs.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
CCR claims their plating is better than HC. And I believe that one. HC is not military certified. All my post are about their platings not their coatings. The coatings of any company are colors :when you don't want a black and silver pistol. For some reasons the coatings hold up better on the plastic grip than metal parts.

I have one HC

I have one plated @ CCR

I have one coated @ CCR

Would like to have durakote slide to try.

Txcajun , my hipe as you call it has nothing to do with coatings, it is about platings and I disagree with you about HC and CCR's platings. I own both. CCR plating is a whole nother world in your hands. I have both again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, nothing came of the trade... but thanks for your input.

·
Registered
718 Posts
What do you clean a Cerakote finish with or I guess what i'm asking is will anything damage finish (like Hoppes #9)?
Clean it with whatever you want to use. Nothing short of sandblasting will take cerakote off or dull the finish. Not even the strongest paint removers that will remove any other type of paint including duracoat in about 2 minutes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The Slides are now offered (from the factory) in Cerakoted Coyote Tan and OD Green, as well as the original Blued, Parkerized and Hard Chrome.

The OD Green grips used to be color impregnated, but when KT went to Cerakoted slides (Jan '11?), they seem to have done away with the impregnated OD Green grips (as well as the Coyote Tan) and went to matching Cerakote.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/product/pf9-452-slide-2/
Gotta bring this back up for accuracy's sakes. I just got off the phone with Keltec a few weeks ago asking that exact same question. I called to ask because I'm looking for a green framed P3AT... In my search I found someone that said that Keltec coats their frames but that didn't sit right with me because I don't care who you are, ALL paint rubs off, and I've never seen a green keltec with any black or base plastic color showing through. So I called to see. The lady over the phone told me that the black and grey frames were always injection molded in that color while all others were cerakoted. I replied "even the green ones?" she said yep. So my question is, has anyone else seen any green models with the "cerakote" rubbed off before? I was just curious because I'm not a coating fan whatsoever. I just can't trust the person to do the prepwork right and I'll be left with a gun that has half it's paint rubbed off and it'll look like I spray painted it like a moron. I can't have that. I thinking that if noone has ever seen this before then either their coaters have invented one hell of a paint, or they are indeed molded that color.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Gotta bring this back up for accuracy's sakes. I just got off the phone with Keltec a few weeks ago........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................I thinking that if noone has ever seen this before then either their coaters have invented one hell of a paint, or they are indeed molded that color.
And your question is? :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
I finally got ahold of a Billfold Brown pf9- it is indeed molded that color.
I would not want any grip frame painted or coated...unless you're going for the battlefield pickup look!

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a green one. It is coated, it is 5 years old, and good as the day it was made. It is my carry/car gun not a safe queen

·
Registered
31 Posts
My PF-9's frame has a green Cerakote finish. The slide is Hard Chromed. All factory. Have had it for a few years and it's a thing of beauty. Functional too. Everything seems to be holding up very well. No complaints.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts