Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Administrator
31,571 Posts
Hmm... for a limited audience, I would guess. I don`t see this flying off the shelves when it is available. A 20 gauge for the faint of heart makes more sense to me.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Kel-Tec Forum mobile app

• Helpful
Reactions: Brett Baker and ARA

· Registered
1,295 Posts
I need a 410 for my aged wife and 50ish daughter. The daughter didn't like my 20 gauge 870 because it kicked too hard. I'm sure it was the way she shouldered, but I couldn't teach an old dog a new trick. The thing that turned me off about a 410 right now is the availability of shells. They have been ghosts for around two years. I can buy the Cricket "My First Shotgun" pretty cheap but I'm afraid I won't find any ammo. I won't pay $40 for a box of 25.

· Registered
1,295 Posts
I'm starting to think that a 28 gauge would make more sense. I see quite a bit of ammo on shelves. I think Wally World might have cornered the market, though.

· Administrator
31,571 Posts
That's interesting. It once was the other way around back in the brick and mortar days. 410 was readily available and 28 was scarce, at least in smaller towns. If 28 is easily obtainable in SD rounds, although pretty similar to 410, 28 does have a bit more powder and possibly capacity for volume of bbs. Bore diameter for a 410 is 0.410 while 28 is 0.545. 410 shells are 3 inch and 28s are 2 3/4.

The two are pretty close but the 28 has slightly more recoil. As a kid, I started with an Iver Johnson 410, but a friend had a Remington 28. I shot both side by side while shooting skeet one day. My 410 had full choke and his 28 was modified. I hit the clay pigeons a lttle better with his gun.

· Registered
152 Posts
Chalk this up to the world according to me. I see the KSG as a defensive gun. As such, the only sense for the .410 would be for a self defense gun for someone that is recoil sensitive. But for that kind of person, would there be better options than a KSG in .410? I think yes, such as a pistol caliber carbine. Again, just my 2 cents.

· Registered
1,295 Posts
I think the ammo availability in the 28 gauge is due to the recent increase in the popularity of trap shooting. Like TxCajun said, it would be easier to hit clay with the 28.

· Administrator
31,571 Posts
Those 16s have always been pretty scarce. Right in the middle of 20 and 12 gauge. That's kind of a niche. I did have a duck hunting friend with one. It seems like his shells were always purple.

Reactions: ARA

· Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 28 and 16 gauge are pretty much moribund for most shotgun shooters, and more then a few have never heard of a 28 gauge.
You almost never see either on a gun store shelf.

Mossberg made a fortune selling .410 defense guns, and i think the new KSG .410 will be a good seller.
For sure, Kel-Tec no doubt did some serious market studies to determine what the market would be.

· Registered
96 Posts
I really think they should have done it in 4 bore. I mean, the 12 gauge is nice, but more power is always nice to have. And 4 bore is just about as available as 410, so there's not an issue there.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts