Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
First, it is in quality holster that has the trigger covered, in a front pocket with nothing else and there is one in the chamber.

Now Welcome to KTOG ;D

That is a very common concern, especially with little past pistol experance. I carried my P3AT for a couple weeks with the chamber empty when i first got it and think that is a good ideal for every one since it is a new device and still in the break in stages.

The long trigger pull, and the hammer block design, make it safe to carry chambered, but finger and trigger awareness are very importait.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I think everyone goes through this at first  -

IMO it is a left over feeling that goes back to the days when - if you dropped a gun on the ground it could fire. This was true for all guns - revolver, pistols and long guns. So to be "safe" you did not have a round chambered.

Todays guns (all I looked at anyway) have a built in safety device that prevents them from firing UNLESS THE TRIGGER IS PULLED.

I also had additional requirements - At first I wanted a gun with a manual safety - so I could carry with one in the chamber. I thought it was the only way to be safe. I was wrong.

I did plenty of research -  and then did a complete 180.

I do not want to even have a safety on my carry gun - some may say - just carry with the safety off (so gun will fire) - not me -   I do not  want to be in a position to wonder - did I take the safety off - or did it somehow get turned back on while in my pocket?  

If the time ever comes where I need my gun to defend my life I want to know that all I need to do is point and shoot.

I guess I could just ask the BG - wait a minute while I chamber a round and take my safety off before you shoot me!

One additional side note about dropping your gun - I came across this several times and it is at least worth thinking about.

If you every accidentlly drop your gun the best thing you can do is to just let it hit the ground.

It seems that many accidental shootings happen when a person tries to catch a gun before it hits the ground - and as a result of trying to catch it ends up pulling the trigger.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
JFB said:
First, it is in quality holster that has the trigger covered, in a front pocket with nothing else and there is one in the chamber.

That is a very common concern, especially with little past pistol experance.  I carried my P3AT for a couple weeks with the chamber empty when i first got it and think that is a good ideal for every one since it is a new device and still in the break in stages.
Spooky, that was about what I was going to post.

With one additional thought - I carried without one in the chamber at first but a statement from someone here tipped the balance for me. He said: "You carry one in the chamber in your revolver don't you"?

I agree that you need a pocket holster that covers the trigger (I paid $44.00 for a leather galco that I am very satisfied with) and do not put keys, etc in the same pocket.

The galco design includes upwards pointing bits of leather that catch on the pocket when you pull your gun. Great design.

To explain what I mean here is the link and a picture.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/71880-5826-2142.html

Mine has more of an upward piece on the left side, this one looks like it has been rounded off. Anyway, the holster stays in my pocke when the gun comes out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I have talked to a few people who use a trigger block.  Some use it with a holster - others use it so they have some level of trigger protection when they carry in a pocket without a holster.

The P-3AT comes with a little red trigger block -  you can put the trigger block on (without a lock) and then put the gun in a holster.

I could see taking this one step at a time.

I carried a holster with a CELL PHONE in it for a while - started out as a way to break in a new stiff leather holster - but also think it helped me get accustomed to  the feeling of having a holster (gun!) in my pocket.

I doubt I am the only person that felt really strange the first time I walked out of the house with a loaded gun in my pocket. The thought that EVERYONE will see this HUGE bulge in my pocket and know that I am packing.  Plus the thought that if something bumps my pocket my gun will go BANG!

You could

Start with a cell phone in the holster

Then move on to a gun in a holster with a trigger block and no round in the chamber

Then a round in the chamber but still use a trigger block

Finally one in the chamber - no trigger block.

Of course you could always skip ahead if you feel comfortable.

Maybe that is my point - do what makes you feel comfortable.  

·
Registered
49 Posts
Everything I carry has a round in the chamber. My P3AT is the only DAO auto I have, but the others have decockers which bring the hammer down with a firing pin block. If I am carrying my wheel gun, it is also fully loaded. I haven't shot myself (or anyone else) yet. I haven't even come close.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is too dificult to quickly rack this little gun, plus it is very safe to carry in a holster.

My wife and I both carry one of these with one in the pipe at all times.

Mine is in front pocket, and hers is in her purse, so that the draw hand can be on it as you are walking out to car, etc.

It's ready to rock. Just draw and shoot.

I'd be a lot less comfortable if I had to also rack the slide before it became useful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
::) I think the frist rule in a gun fight is to have a gun. Second it better be loaded, and ready for action. It's of no use to you if it's not loaded.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The general feeling I get is that most carry "one in the tube". I say you'd be unwise to do otherwise. If you do want a pistol that that you can carry with an empty chamber-sell me your P3AT and I'll hook you up with one of those "flip-up" barrel Berreta's.

ethanspapa

·
Registered
357 Posts
Imagine just about any real life situation where you may need a gun - such as

Getting mugged & robbed on the street or a car jacking - or maybe you had to fire someone  for bringing a BIG knife to work - and they want to get even -

Now how would these most likely play out?

If you did not own a gun -
Had a gun but it was at home in the safe-
Had a gun that was locked in your trunk
Had a gun in your pocket that was not loaded
Had a gun in your pocket - no round in the pipe
Had a gun in your pocket - ONE in the pipe - but you had only shot it one time back in 1997 and had not thought much about it since then.

OR

Had a gun in your pocket that was ready to use (the gun & you are mentally prepared) and you had practiced using it!

I see very little difference between the first 6 - I would expect they would all turn out the same -

You getting mugged/ car being taken/ getting beat to a pulp and stabbed (maybe shot with your OWN GUN)-  

If you think this through - then your choice is to either carry and be ready willing and able to use it - or don't carry a gun at all.

I would guess that the stat that is always used by those who are against guns - that your gun is more likely to be taken from you - and used against you  - than it is to be used to protect your life - is as a result of people having a gun - but not thinking things through - and not being physically & mentally ready to use it.

I hope I don't sound like some nut who is ready to spray bullets if a car back fires three blocks over - because I am not that at all. But I have thought this through - first before I bought a hand gun - and then 10 more times before I went and took the CCL class.

BTW - I would always - if possible to do it safely  (myself & family) try and escape (RUN! RUN! RUN!) before shooting someone. I would also  give up my car & give up my wallet before using a gun if I had a choice.  

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.