keep it clean

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rex_dw, Feb 10, 2008.

1. rex_dw

rex_dw New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    3rd time out.  This is the first time I had any trouble with my P3.  I had failure to extract from the chamber.  The last time I clean my P3 I used super lube grease.  I will not use grease on my p3 again.  I fired about 100 rounds today and had about 20 failure to extact casses.  I had no problem when I clean this gun as as I do all my other wepons. Clean and lightly oil.  when I clean the gun today I found the extractor hook area filled with grime.  I know one must always keep one's gun clean.  Live and learn.  I still have faith in this gun, mine just does not like grease.  Like I said 250 rounds no problems 250 to 350 fialure to extrace 20 but I do not blame the gun just it keeper.

2. rex_dw

rex_dw New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    sorry about the spelling I know the word is extract.

3. Hutch01

Hutch01 New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    You'll find that most folks who have owned one these pistols for any length of time don't shoot more than ~ 50 round without cleaning and lubing. I along with a few others believe lube is actually more important than cleaning.

The slide is light and the pistols have tight tolerances. Some brands of ammo are pretty dirty and to prevent what you experienced only requires a wipe down, cleaning of the chamber and extractor specifically and perhaps some lube on the slide rails and hammer slide.

Personally, I shoot only 40-50 rounds and then shoot something else. These pistols are made to "shoot a little, carry a lot".

4. Hutch01

Hutch01 New Member

Sep 17, 2005
    You can edit your post. Just click on Modify.

5. rex_dw

rex_dw New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    I know that a 100 rounds is alot for this guns at one time but I had problems from the 2nd mag on. I did take the gun apart after about 40 round and wipe down the parts I did not have my cleaning stuff with me. I just think that some how the grease made the grime gather faster. I do leave oil on all moving part.

6. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I use BreakFree CLP and then Militec Grease on those "sensitive" spots. :) No problems for me. You do need to watch that area around the extractor though and give it a little extra attention during cleaning if you use grease.

7. Prostatix

Prostatix New Member

Feb 7, 2008
    Yeh I'm not a real great fan of grease on this gun either... I use ballistol and so far no malfunctions.

Did you fluff and buff?

You all are right... this gun is meant to be shot very little, but carried a whole lot. Besides 50 rounds in this gun on the range tends to work your hand pretty good.

I think if I make it to 300 or so rounds, including DPX tests, I prolly wont shoot it a whole lot.

8. Ohio_Rusty

Ohio_Rusty New Member

Aug 4, 2007
    I found the use of pipe cleaners to be a real help in getting into all the small nooks and crannies inside my P3. I have two different types of pipe cleaners. One is just the soft chenille, the other has hard plastic bristles wound into the cotton chenille. The bristle pipe cleaners I find very useful for cleaning gunk and fouling that accumulates under the extractor hook, down the mag well, and inside the slide grooves in the frame and the slide.  I use the soft chenille for mostly putting oil and grease inside the gun in hard to reach places where the oil just drips off the toothpick. I'm using Slip 2000 gun oil for protection and lubrication btw.
    Ohio Rusty  ><>

9. possum

possum New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Can you tell me just what "fluff and buff" entails? Just purchased a p-3at.

10. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
  11. possum

possum New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Thanks so much! Go Buckeyes!!

12. Rubb

Rubb Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Well said Mr. Turkey Neck ;D

13. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
  14. dboat

dboat New Member

Feb 7, 2008
  15. rex_dw

rex_dw New Member

Jan 1, 2008
    sorry it has been awhile.  I was out of town.  I did not mean that I would not use any lube.  It is that my P3 does not seam to like grease.  I will still keep it will lube with oil.  I have had very good luck using rem oil but on some wepons I have like mico mist.  I just can not believe the amount of gunk I found under the extactor after using grease, and before anyone ask no I did not put grease on the extactor.  keep it clean and lube but maybe not always with grease. yes I did F&B my gun before the first time out

16. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Folks,

You can have your cake and eat it to! Shoot a lot and carry a lot! Get 2 P3ATs and dedicate one primarily to the range and practice and the other primarily for carry.

Unfortunately I'm not right now practicing what I just preached; been months now looking for a second P3AT in HC.

Take care ...