Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I, like my father, tend to get into a hobby for a few years, then move on to other stuff. Some things I like and have always liked, like working with wood. Now I've had the firearms bug for 5 years now and it looks like it ain't going nowhere, so don't go to the trading post looking for a wholesale.

As a kid we got a family boat and I've really loved any and all times on the water. Since then I've had canoe and done some rafting. I'd really love to run a rowing scull some time. That looks like the water equivilant to biking, but I'd hate to be always going in reverse. I have a nice little river (biggg creek?) right down the hill from me (Etowah) that runs thru Dawson forest. Wonderful place to escape to.

At BJ's wholesale club they have a pelican 2 person, sit in, 14 kayak with paddles and car carrier for $5. This is as close as I can find online:
http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...k&i=432310&r=view&aID=506Q1A&cID=GSHOP_432310

I'm thinking I'll be getting something to play on the water with real soon.

Now the question and request for advice is as follows. Will I be happy with a pelican? I hate, hate, hate buying not enough tool. I'm at an age where I can buy what I want (with in reason, Jessica beil still won't return my calls) and I like nice tools. I have a little outdoors place near hear that has kayaks and canoes that are more money. I do not want to spend 500 buck and quickly wish I had spent 800. I'm not looing to spend 1200+ on a kayak.

Follow up question, what gun to carry while on the water? Do I need an LCR in .357? huh?

Thanks for in input guys,
Lop

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
I dont know squat aboot Kiacks.
BUT you will definetly need an LCR in .357. That I know aboot.

You will be sarrie if you get it in .38. Its not hot enough for you.

Now someone fill him in on the KIacks.

Jim

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
I put my p3 in a zip-lock while on the water. I keep a Co2 pellet pistol handy in my tackel box and my pheonix hp22 before the frame cracked.

I have fell out of the boat with a pa63 and a new 24/7, i had no problem swimming to the bank.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
eh, save your ink, I already bought. Picked up one of these:
http://www.madrivercanoe.com/product/index/products/recreation/journey_series/journey_169/
It is a fairly traditional canoe. 3 layer plastic hull without a keal. Good all around boat. I can run it on flat water or some what white. The rivers 'round here are pretty mild. I'm looking for some exersize here along with feeding my love of water. Heck, I might even hunt out of it, or use it to get to a 'hard to get to' place in the forest. Cargo and grandkids were some of the considerations that pushed me to a canoe instead of a kayak. The kayaks were, kinda by definition, nitch boats. This one is GREAT for X, that one is GREAT for Y. Canoes are good at lots of things, not great at any, unless versatility is your goal.

So, half the battle is done. I made a rack for the Tacoma, now I just need to figure out the best gun to carry whilst canoeing.

Seems like Jim pretty much has me figured out. :rolleyes: I dont' plan on getting a new gun. Remember, this year is 'no new guns, unless you really hafta'. So if your choices were:
Naa mini To small
Heritage RR Kinda wimpy, but I wouldn't cry to much if it went overboard.
Snub .38 aluminum frame. hold up well to some moisture exposure, kinda wimpy still
.17 ? na....
.357 7 rounds, blue, titanium cylinder, 4 inch barrel. A contender
9mm Sig. Not a pretty gun, but flawless. Always a contender
.44mag Snub in stainless, 6" in blue, SAA ruger in blue. You know I loves me some .44
PLR-30 Plastic, maybe in a swivel mount up front incase of pirates?
.45 1911? To pretty to take on the water.
P3at Well, I always have her with me
Pf9 ? Hard chrome and plastic. Low dollar, not a bad idea for a river gun.
So, if your gun safe looked like that, what would you bring along?

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
I have a 9.5' Mainstream Streak that I use to paddle around the lake on and catch fish out of here and there. It's a good boat to play in or even do overnight trips with. At 31" wide you trade speed for stability, which is fine because the river downstream from the dam flows fast enough that I only have to paddle when avoiding something in the water. In open water 7 knots is about as fast as it goes.

Before dropping money on a 'yak do your research and read lots of reviews. Find one that will fit your size limitations while fulfilling your needs on the water. Will there be more than just you in there?

A good set of paddles will be needed. Don't buy something that's very heavy because you don't want achy muscles at the end of the day. Bending Branches is a good company to look at. Their paddles are strong, light, and won't cost an arm and a leg.

Find an outfitter and talk to them. Most offer classes during the summer and open water rescue is a good one to take. Climbing back in a 'yak after dumping out requires a bit of skill and even some pros have a hard time with it. PM me with your number and I will give you a call sometime.

ETA: Never mind...

·
Registered
111 Posts
.357 7 rounds, blue, titanium cylinder, 4 inch barrel. and I would carry both .38 and .357 ammo in case I ran across a coyote or snake that needed dispatching. I am not much of a kayaker or canoist. Is that proper? canoist? anyway I would go for the canoe as well...more versatile and wife and kid friendly. my $.02

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mad River is a good choice. I've had a Adventure series 14' for about 7 years now. Kind of a hybrid canoe. Never ran into any problems with it. Been on many NY river trips as well as VT.

RW

·
Registered
2,540 Posts

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I just came off the river. Wow, what fun. Wow, what a work out. I put in and run up river. That way if I tucker out, have a problem, loose a paddle, or hear banjos, I can get back to my trucke easily. Put in on the Etowah at hwy 9, paddled up to hwy 53, about 2.5 miles as the crow files, about twice that as best I could measure from google maps for the run of the river. 1.75 hrs up, .5 back. Well, I was looking for exersize. I found it. Lots of fun. I've not been on the water in 10 years. When I was 11, I was licensed by the Coaste Guard to operate boats on the intercoastal water ways. There was a time when my older brother and sister could not go boating without an adult or me along. Ah, the power...
I'm thinking that if I put in on Kelly Mill, I can paddle upstream into Dawson Forest. That could be a cool (pun intended) way to hunt. Think about it. Much of the problem hunting is getting into an area quitly and with out senting the place up too bad. Then you have to haul out a kill up hill both ways. Or, paddle in, tie up, climb the bank and sit. Shoot, clean, load into the canoe and float back to your truck. I'm going to have to look back over the regs and see if they prohibit this. You can't shoot deer in any water, stream, river, or pond. But you can hunt along all those and bag them before or after they cross or drink.

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
Ok Lop, now you have put away the off road skate board, and turned to off road water sports/wave riding/surfin/kayakin, etc.
What can you come up with next to off road before your my age?
Thats cool dude, wish I could still do all that stuff. ENJOY

Tell me what brand and size Binoculars do you have, or do you use them?

I am wanting a decent Binocular without breaking the bank, and interfering with my gun budget.

Jim

·
Fido for short
5,409 Posts
I did.

Just askin.

Jim

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
.357 7 rounds, blue, titanium cylinder, 4 inch barrel. and I would carry both .38 and .357 ammo in case I ran across a coyote or snake that needed dispatching. I am not much of a kayaker or canoist. Is that proper? canoist? anyway I would go for the canoe as well...more versatile and wife and kid friendly. my $.02
I'd go with a shorter barrel. I'd want stainless for a boating gun. Kayak means shoulder rig.

I concur with the 7 shot cylinder, you can afford to put .38 spl snake shot in the first two for snakes, and still have what amounts to a 5 shot .357 snubbie. If you are dealing with legged predators you just pull 3-4 times quick anyway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 16' Perception Vizcaya kayak (discontinued) It's pretty much a touring kayak with a 24" wide center section that quickly tapers to 3" at the bow, Fore and aft hatches. Nice quick, maneuverable boat. with plenty of room. Used in rivers, lakes (large and small), bays, and open ocean.

I packed for a 5 day long kayak camping trip several years ago which included food, 5+ gallons water (as there was only saltwater available where I was going), shelter, cooking stuff and fishing rods for the trip, as well as misc. stuff I'm a heavy packer.

As for carrying while paddling I would suggest keeping the weapon in a dry deck bag or an under the seat bag for canoe, (sealine makes good ones) because I NEVER paddle without a life jacket and wearing a weapon while paddling would be next to impossible.

I might suggest a stainless Ruger sp101 with a mix of snake shot .38 special & .357. That mix would cover most of your bases for most places.

OR maybe something that has be aftermarket ceracoated. There is a vendor on here that does it at a reasonable price (http://www.jimmyjohnsguns.com/guns/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=50) Just got a quote for my p11.

Might want to check your local laws about guns in boats/water... some states have some pretty weird laws (and certain lakes if it's an army corp of engineers lake it may be considered federal property and no guns allowed. (Blue Marsh Lake in Reading, PA is like that).

·
Registered
60 Posts
I bought a Heritage 9.5 fisherman (sit inside). Its lightweight and has 2 rod holders behind the seat. I made a kayak cart out of a golf bag carrier. Kayaks are pretty durable,you can find used ones for a good price.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My wife and I have a pair of Pelican Pursuit 100's (10') I prefer them at this time over a canoe because I can walk a good ways with one shifted up on my shoulder, and so can she.

I plan to install a rod holder on the front of mine so I can fish a bit.:D

Paid less than 225 each for them new, plus paddles and vests.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Owl said:
My wife and I have a pair of Pelican Pursuit 100's (10') I prefer them at this time over a canoe because I can walk a good ways with one shifted up on my shoulder, and so can she.

I plan to install a rod holder on the front of mine so I can fish a bit.:D

Paid less than 225 each for them new, plus paddles and vests.
I have one as well...great value, and held up to very low flow and lots of boulder conditions on many occasions... you really need to invest in a portable anchor if you want to fish out of it on s lake as the lightest of wind will send you way out of your spot... also the rear cargo area is very not water tight... :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
lop said:
eh, save your ink, I already bought. Picked up one of these:
http://www.madrivercanoe.com/product/index/products/recreation/journey_series/journey_169/
It is a fairly traditional canoe. 3 layer plastic hull without a keal. Good all around boat. I can run it on flat water or some what white. The rivers 'round here are pretty mild. I'm looking for some exersize here along with feeding my love of water. Heck, I might even hunt out of it, or use it to get to a 'hard to get to' place in the forest. Cargo and grandkids were some of the considerations that pushed me to a canoe instead of a kayak. The kayaks were, kinda by definition, nitch boats. This one is GREAT for X, that one is GREAT for Y. Canoes are good at lots of things, not great at any, unless versatility is your goal.

So, half the battle is done. I made a rack for the Tacoma, now I just need to figure out the best gun to carry whilst canoeing.

Seems like Jim pretty much has me figured out. :rolleyes: I dont' plan on getting a new gun. Remember, this year is 'no new guns, unless you really hafta'. So if your choices were:
Naa mini To small
Heritage RR Kinda wimpy, but I wouldn't cry to much if it went overboard.
Snub .38 aluminum frame. hold up well to some moisture exposure, kinda wimpy still
.17 ? na....
.357 7 rounds, blue, titanium cylinder, 4 inch barrel. A contender
9mm Sig. Not a pretty gun, but flawless. Always a contender
.44mag Snub in stainless, 6" in blue, SAA ruger in blue. You know I loves me some .44
PLR-30 Plastic, maybe in a swivel mount up front incase of pirates?
.45 1911? To pretty to take on the water.
P3at Well, I always have her with me
Pf9 ? Hard chrome and plastic. Low dollar, not a bad idea for a river gun.
So, if your gun safe looked like that, what would you bring along?
I would stick with the PF 9, but would probably keep the PLR 30 close for the fun of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts