k theSlide Hesitation when chambering round...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by DanHfmn, Jan 16, 2008.

1. DanHfmn

DanHfmn New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    Took the gun out for probably it's 5th trip to the range and noticed that the slide was hesitating, and even stopping when the round hit the feed ramp. But this only happened when I was chambering the first round. Once I started firing it fed ok, if I limp-wristed a round it would misfeed/hesitate every time, but if I was shooting solid it fed ok.

I have not done the polish routine, it looked like it had been done from the factory. Is that all I'm looking at doing here?

2. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    That's pretty normal. The slide and springs are fairly light in this little bugger, so any dirt or parts that aren't very smooth can slow the slide down when chambering by hand. Slingshoting the slide by pulling back and letting her rip helps. As you noticed it cycles fine when it does it on its own. That's because gun isn't afraid to let the slide slam home.

Glad you got a good one...
    CLEAN - LUBE - SHOOT - ENJOY - Repeat often. :D

Bobo

3. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    This is normal. However putting a high polish on the feed ramp & hammer/slide interface bar will help. It will also make the gun more forgiving of limp wristing or grime. My P3 is hard to limpwrist. Infact when it gets dirty you can see the slide start to slow down in it's cycle as it gums up but it still cycles.

4. ALERT:  OPINIONS EXPRESSED BELOW!  ;D

Slide hesitation sounds normal for those that do not do the fluff and buff, and do not keep them cleaned and lubed properly.

This is a very light auto loading pistol.  In my opinion, it requires a lot more TLC that most autoloaders.

I suggest the fluff and buff, and then lots of lube!

This picture is what all of my Kel-Tecs look like soon after they come to live with me:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The penny did not come out of the gun, but the rest of the trash shown did.

I did the fluff and buff on all 3 of mine, and I never have had a slide stutter on the first round fed.  My idea of the fluff and buff inlcudes the ramp, chamber, hood, slide and rail contact areas, guide rod, bottom of slide area  that slips over the hammer, the hammer area that slips under the slide, and a few other spots.

I also keep mine clean and lubed.  I use grease on the rails, guide rod, as well as the area where the slide and hammer make contact.

Some very good info here:  http://1bad69.com/keltec/index.htm

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    FWIW

I don't really KNOW if mine hesitates when I rack the slide, out of instinct after racking the slide, I bump it with the palm :-/

6. DanHfmn

DanHfmn New Member

Jul 10, 2006
    I do know that the gun was not in it's cleanest state so I'm sure that had something to do with it, and I knew that at the time.
    I'll clean it up real good tonight and lube it and rack some rounds to see how much it helps.

7. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Mine does hesitate when chambering the first round, and will sometimes not feed it in until I give it a bit of a bump. It does then.

I did a basic fluff & buff. Just wondering whether there's something else I ought to do...?

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    More shooting to wear any little burs or friction points down. More lube. Learn how to really slingshot the slide.

All but one P3ATs that I have put my hands on that the owner told me was hanging on the first round was I able to get them to load just fine with a drop of miltec on the feedramp and slingshotting the slide. Then I would hand it back to the owner and they would continue to have issues. The slide has very little mass to carry itself forward and bring the round with it.

And since it works when firing, its just another good reason to keep one in the chamber.

-Scott

9. John_W

John_W New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Sounds like a good recipe- thanks! ;D