K-T, are you listening?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ethanspapa, Feb 5, 2008.

1. ethanspapa

ethanspapa New Member

Dec 29, 2004
    [timestamp=1202206138] :'( I won't rehash the LCP issue again, however, I'd love to see an "Improved" P-3AT.  Ideas: bump up the caliber to a major caliber-9 mm/.40 S&W but in the same size package as the P-3AT.  I know I'll catch a ton of grief over this but it is possible.  It'll be no fun to shoot a box of rounds, but just imagine your P-3AT with it's size, locked breech, add a slide-lock, titanium frame and slide, stainless mag release and INTERNAL laser guide-rod. It MAY have to be an 1/8" wider but..."I'd buy that for a dollar...!" or how about the same things with a different caliber...the '.380 KT MAGNUM'!  Or has NAA already been there/done that?
    Just wonderin'...

ethanspapa

2. pjm204

pjm204 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    P3AT in a 9mm could be possible but definitely not in .40 if the P40 was too powerful for most. I don't see what the big deal is about a slide release. If you need to fire more than 6 rounds in a defensive situation, you either suck or you should probably start running.

3. torrent

torrent New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Asking a bit much, me thinks. Not knocking your idea as I would love to have a 9mm the same size as my p3at, even though my p11 is flawless in function and a ton of fun to shoot. Talk about and engineering nightmare!

4. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    +1
    Or there was more than 1 target so you should have been running before the shooting started ... unless you're Todd Jarrett [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAFG5ahTMlQ[/ame]

Anyway, I think this is a much better idea.
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1199555491

But then of course I would. ;)

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Here's your pistol, almost. Geez, they cost a grand w/o the laser guide-rod.

http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/

6. pjm204

pjm204 New Member

Oct 3, 2007
    TX, I like your crossed out ruger in your signature line. I watched them unveil it, what a crock of sh*t.

7. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    Yeah, but it comes with an extra mag, a hard case and a cable lock! :cool:

And they have a stealth model with diamond coated slides :eek: or something like that

;D ;D ;D

8. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    The Rohrbaughs are beautiful. I have a certain lust for one of their R9S Stealth models. I doubt I'll ever buy one, though. Cost is through the roof and I've read about reliability problems with them too. For a gun that price it absolutely, positively has to be 100% right out of the box - forever.

Somewhere, I read you are supposed to replace the Rohrbaugh recoil springs every 200 rounds or so. Can anyone confirm that? I suppose with such a little package the 9mm would wear out recoil springs pretty fast. They are not +P rated either.

9. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I keep hearing KT say the Pf9 is the smallest 9mm, now I see Rohr say the same thing about the R9 and frankly without measuing the R9 looks like it wins.  How can KT make its claims about the Pf9?  Heck, its not even the "flattest" as KTOG says in its descriptions.    NOT that I would ever consider the R9 for anything nor consider these in the same class because of price, but we ought to have truth in advertising.  

If the web sites are correct:
    TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS  Pf9/R9
    Weight unloaded (no magazine) :  12.7 oz./12.8
    Length :  5.85" / 5.2"
    Height :  4.3" / 3.7"
    Width :  .88" / .812"
    Barrel Length :  3.1" / 2.9"

And about springs, we really ought not to start rumors like "need to be replaced every 200 rounds..." as that's not very nice.  We can go straight to their manual and see what they recommend:

;D   ;D   ;D   ;D  

I wonder if they are free like KT springs?  

10. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Thanks Scott. This points out one of the inconvient facts of small pistol design. You can make a pistol smaller & more powerful than a P11 or PF9 BUT design tradeoffs come into play big time. For example trashing the recoil spring at 100 rounds or so vs a thousand or three. Same thing on the price.

KTs are at the edge of the envelope FOR THAT PRICE RANGE. You want something smaller & more powerful (9mm P3) you WILL pay a price both in dollars AND longevity. Note I did NOT say reliability.

You want 10,000 rounds without replacing parts? It's going to weigh a couple of pounds and be full sized weapon not a sub compact.

.40 S&W in a P3 sized pistol? Geeze, my P40 spanks my hand quite enough thank you. Now a P11 sized .45 might not be as bad. I understand that the .45 is more of a push than a slap. Anyone bringing a Cobra Patriot .45 to the KTOG Nationals? I'd sure like to put a couple a three rounds thru one.

11. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Sacagewea! every 100 rounds!? That's ridiculous. Can you order a multi-pack or something? Are the springs at least cheap (doubtful when everything else is sold by that company at such a premium)?

+1 on your comments about the PF9. I keep telling my brother that the PF-9 is an answer to a question I would not ask. It is between two better weapons for my needs, IMHO: the P3AT and the S&W M642.

12. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007
    Sacagewea indeed!

LMAO  ;D ;D ;D

13. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    'Lightest' would probably have been a better choice of words, but I think thats the very reason right there.

14. EchoKilo

EchoKilo New Member

Jun 24, 2007
    I'll bet the P3AT would benefit immensely from a spring swap every hundred rounds or so.

The way I understand it, there are basically two things that oppose the pressure of the bullet, the mass of the slide and the recoil spring. It would stand to reason then that the less mass the slide has, the bigger beating the recoil spring is going to take.

15. Dreadnought

Dreadnought New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Borrowing your reasoning--and I am not saying that it is unsound--EVERY firearm would no doubt "benefit". However, other firearms do not advise it in their manuals. I think that's the difference.

:)

16. shootah800

shootah800 New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Scott,

According to KT, the PF9 is the flattest and lightest 9MM produced. Take a look again at the websites. The Rohrbaugh says its SLIDE width is .812". If you look at the way they are sitting, the grip appears to be thicker. The PF9's width is .88" at its widest point, not the slide. As far as the weight is concerned, you answered that question. The PF9 is lighter, although it is only by .1 ounce. You're right, truth in advertising.

-Matt

17. adamky

adamky New Member

Apr 14, 2006
    Louisville, KY
    As someone who used to own a P40, I WOULD NOT want a P3AT in .40.

No sir.

18. JERRY-S.

JERRY-S. Guest

for me right now id be happy with the glitches being done away with such as the plastic magazine release thats wears out prematurely with normal regular use, and the slide peening issue....

i havent had any isses with the external extractor and while not pleasing to the eye it works properly and im happy with that.

19. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    +1

Jim, a current P40 carrier.

20. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    As someone who owns the aforementioned P40 and a P3AT, I guess I have to think I would agree but would sure like to fire one once or twice first...

Funny. I have a P3AT that was subject to peening and I put in a $.05 washer and it reduced the recoil and fixed all possibility of peening. And I have more than 1000 rounds through it and my magazine release has held up just fine. I think maybe thou dost protesteth too much.

-Scott