Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally started to pull the trigger on a 1911. I have a .22lr in 1911 but no true 45. Also I have never used layaway or Buds before. so I guess I killed 3 birds with one stone.

I wanted a entry level 1911 in stainless. Did not really want to pull it out of savings but could swing about $200 a month in fun money so wanted to go the layaway route. Origanally was looking at the Springfield GI, but the local stores did not have any in stock (nor buds). Most people seem satisfied with Buds, and they offer 90 layaway.

Also they have the Remington R1 1911 Stainless for $618 (including insured shipping) and my local guy charges $25. So it looks like I am getting it for $643 OTD.

Not a ton of reviews out there on the R1, espically the stainless, but for the most part what I have seen has been positive for an entry 1911. The only thing I was really hesitate on was that it does not seem to be +p rated, but that was not a deal breaker. A few questions.

1) What can you tell me about the Remington R1 (espically stainless)?
2) Are most entry level 1911s +p rated?
3) Have you used Buds Layaway? How did it go?
4) What can I do to keep my mind off it till I get her out of Jail?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Here's what I can tell you about the R1....my 14 year old son won one at an NWTF banquet in March! That's about all I know because we've been too busy to take it to the range.

I have a friend that has used Bud's layaway a couple times with very positive experiences.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i haven't heard anything awful about the R1

from those I've looked at and handled, fit and finish was good to very good .
The blue'd models are one of the better looking entry level 1911s I've seen.
I haven't seen any stainless Rem's yet

very few pistols specifically say they're rated for +P,
but nearly all modern pistols can handle +P pressures ...your R1 in no exception.
I wouldn't feed it a steady diet of +p or hot reloads
But if if you plan to shoot more than a few +P, order an 18.5 recoil spring from Wolfe Gun Springs

No personal experience with Buds, but they sell a TON of guns .
For as many as they sell, you hear very little complaints .
I doubt you have much to worry about

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
My LGS has one for $ 695.00. I'm hoping he still has it in two weeks when I'll have the funds to buy it. The fit and finish is fantastic. I've heard a lot of smack about the series 80 firing system heaving bad triggers, etc. but i like the trigger on the R1. The finish on the stainless R1 is wonderful too. I want it so bad I'm tempted to spend the bill money on it. :D

·
Registered
187 Posts
buds is great... however, it seems like a lot of ffl's do not like them. when i got my p11 from buds the owner at the ffl almost refused to transfer it to me and called bud's wh***s

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
buds is great... however, it seems like a lot of ffl's do not like them. when i got my p11 from buds the owner at the ffl almost refused to transfer it to me and called bud's wh***s
Mom & Pop stores hate Wal*Mart, brick and mortar FFLs hate Bud's -- just the way of the world. (FTR, most FFLs hate W*M stores that sell guns, for the same reasons.)

When you move that kind of volume you have much more wholesale buying power and you don't rely on as much per-item mark-up and it's hard for smaller stores to compete. Basic Economics, of course, but I'm sure that doesn't make the small FFLs feel any better. ;)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I've heard a lot of smack about the series 80 firing system heaving bad triggers,
they're not "bad" , just harder and more detail is needed for an excellent trigger job due to the camming levers .
Most average shooters wouldn't be able to tell the difference when dry firing .
Most better than average shooters can feel it, but most of them won't notice any difference in shooting scores

the thing about Buds that some smaller guys don;t care for is their drop shipments .
many of the pistols they sell aren't in their inventory .
The come directly from the wholesaler to your FFL

Buds makes $20 bukz and never had to log a pistol .
just take an order and click some keys on a key board

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Buds makes $20 bukz and never had to log a pistol .
just take an order and click some keys on a key board
And the mom and pop LGS gets $20 - $30 to do the same clicking of keys when they receive it. They log it. No big deal. And they punch in your 4473 and wait for the response. They are just whining. One of my local shops loves doing it. He has an FFL but really only carries used consignment pistols, new AR's, and accessories. He promotes using his shop as the FFL transfer host. He makes a lot of money on transfers without needing a bunch of gun salesmen and overhead sucking counter space.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
... One of my local shops loves doing it. He has an FFL but really only carries used consignment pistols, new AR's, and accessories. He promotes using his shop as the FFL transfer host. He makes a lot of money on transfers without needing a bunch of gun salesmen and overhead sucking counter space.
I know a couple of small shops like that, and I think you will see more and more of that.

This is the age of the Internet and informed consumers -- you can either keep up with the times or keep trying to sell buggy whips. ;)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For anyone that might be interested, I saw today that Buds increased the price on this to 680. I am glad I pulled the trigger on the layaway

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got her home this weekend. Man is she good looking. I will probably not get to shoot it until next weekend. But I am impressed with the fit and finish. I am not a 1911 guy, so I am not in a position to give a good review of tolerances.

I replaced the factory walnut grips with some buffalo horn grips. They look jet black until the light hits them right then they have streaks of gray and white. Pics cannot do it justice.

I wish I had gotten a picture of the white dot sights. Much improved over regular GI. The trigger is good. A slight creep, but not much at all IMHO

All told from Buds to my house it was $643. So far I am happy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Awesome I plan on getting a 1911 one day. I actually ordered my plr from buds and when I went to pick it up from a local FFL I noticed they carried the same gun. Just 80 bucks more. ha They didn't seemed real please with me, but I was happy.

·
Registered
2,915 Posts
Got her home this weekend. Man is she good looking. I will probably not get to shoot it until next weekend. But I am impressed with the fit and finish. I am not a 1911 guy, so I am not in a position to give a good review of tolerances.

I replaced the factory walnut grips with some buffalo horn grips. They look jet black until the light hits them right then they have streaks of gray and white. Pics cannot do it justice.

I wish I had gotten a picture of the white dot sights. Much improved over regular GI. The trigger is good. A slight creep, but not much at all IMHO

All told from Buds to my house it was $643. So far I am happy

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7236/7360668902_c8f77431fa_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7244/7360669214_b9cb8551cc_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7232/7360669508_798fd3b82c_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8160/7175443467_3440ec48e1_z.jpg

Very nice, good looking pistol! :)

BTW, I have some grips very much like those on one of my Springfields...

.. and it is hard to take a picture that accurately represents the look in person.

:)

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Well I like it! Those grips really do stand out on a SS pistol.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
That is one of the ugliest firearms I've seen in my entire life. On top of that, why THAT 1911? Customer service is atrocious, if you can even get them to answer. I wouldn't even TRY to shoot it, as it's going to blow up in your hand, and there's a HUGE recall because of the mainspring housing touching you inappropriately in your sleep. There are even reports of the grip safety stealing keys and taking cars on joy rides... and we ALL know what horrible drivers those grip safeties are.

Seriously. I'd get rid of that thing as soon as possible. I have the appropriate container to store it in and have the means to dispose of it properly. So shoot me your address and I'll come pick it up for you. I know you just spent over 6 bills on it, and I don't want you to feel put out, so I can give you this $50 Wal-Mart gift card for it. I've only used $49.27 on the card, so it's still good.

Cy

P.S.
I'm not joking... $50 gift card here...

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Wow.

Drool

That is what a pistol should look like

1 - 18 of 18 Posts